Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Mag Capacity Change

d_striker

Looking at the Jan 2017 BOD minutes, it appears that increasing the magazine capacity of Carry Optics will be in effect soon. 

What is the new capacity going to be?  15 rounds or 140mm mag length?

Edited by d_striker

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, d_striker said:

Looking at the Jan 2017 BOD minutes, it appears that increasing the magazine capacity of Carry Optics will be in effect soon. 

What is the new capacity going to be?  15 rounds of 140mm mag length?

However many you can stuff in a 140mm mag will be the limit.

25 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Why not a Glock 34 MOS?

It's heavier, longer (meaning more momentum on lateral swings to targets and a longer draw-to-clear-holster) and the increased sight radius is worthless on an MOS pistol.  I'd prefer to stay with my 19 but my grip with extended mags is such that I'd be putting pressure on the mag with my pinky which can affect feed/function, etc.  The 17 will be a better all-around MOS platform for me.

If I were using suppressor-height sights to co-witness or needed the slight bump in velocity it might be worth it.

Not to mention the 34 is $100 more than the 17.  For $477 + tax I can't go wrong.

Edited by mreed911

19 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

It's heavier, longer (meaning more momentum on lateral swings to targets and a longer draw-to-clear-holster) and the increased sight radius is worthless on an MOS pistol.  I'd prefer to stay with my 19 but my grip with extended mags is such that I'd be putting pressure on the mag with my pinky which can affect feed/function, etc.  The 17 will be a better all-around MOS platform for me.

If I were using suppressor-height sights to co-witness or needed the slight bump in velocity it might be worth it.

Not to mention the 34 is $100 more than the 17.  For $477 + tax I can't go wrong.

All good points...  I'm still thinking in iron-sights mode...

I had no real intentions of ever trying CO, especially with the 10 rd limit but this changes everything. I'm actually considering the 19 for exactly the reasons stated above also. Gonna do a couple of checks on my iron sighted 17/19 and decide from there. 

Edited by DanL
Wrong abbreviation

Was considering CO as a winter time Division. You know, shooting in the cold and wet would be nicer not to have to hit a safety and expose my Limited to the elements. Supposedly using an optic can increase accuracy when swapping back to irons etc....could be a wives tale.

Then this mag capacity change. 

Last night a post for sale shows up on a local site for a barely used (200rd) Core with 5 mags 3 in package still , 450 bucks. I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I already have a Pro with all the gear.

Gonna sell the mags to pay for half an optic.

Guess I didn't need a reason.....just a teeny push.

2 hours ago, polymerfeelsweirdman said:

open minor

It's really a combo of Limited, Production, and Open...

-Stage planning will be pretty much same as Limited.  23 rounds may eliminate stages where you have to do two reloads though.

-Red dot is the only tie to Open, and even then it's slide mounted as opposed to frame mounted.

-And of course the Production Gun List and minor scoring.

Edited by d_striker

i've gotten quite a few texts and emails about this divisions, guns and set up since they changed the capacity. before that everyone thought CO was lame but a few people with bad eyes. now it seems to be considered "fun". i'll be shooting CO this weekend in texarkana with my new 23 round set up, so we'll see.

I think Stoeger nailed it on one of his add pages.

"You thought Carry Optics was for old guys that just wanted to put a dot on their production guns only to reload every time they move. Well, you were wrong, Carry Optics is now for poor people that don't have the scratch for a proper open gun."

28 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I think Stoeger nailed it on one of his add pages.

"You thought Carry Optics was for old guys that just wanted to put a dot on their production guns only to reload every time they move. Well, you were wrong, Carry Optics is now for poor people that don't have the scratch for a proper open gun."

Yep, I hate being poor :):):) 

2 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

That email really resonated with the 2% of USPSA shooters. I nearly whizzed myself when seeing it last night.

But aren't you an old dude in God's Waiting Room Z? Sorry couldn't resist.

Yep, I will be a senior by the time I fire my first shot at CO Nats.

I no longer buy green bananas :) 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

i've gotten quite a few texts and emails about this divisions, guns and set up since they changed the capacity. before that everyone thought CO was lame but a few people with bad eyes. now it seems to be considered "fun". i'll be shooting CO this weekend in texarkana with my new 23 round set up, so we'll see.

Just imagine how popular Production would be if it also ditched the ten round limit :devil:

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

Just imagine how popular Production would be if it also ditched the ten round limit :devil:

They should just make having a dot optional. 

The only problem with that is Production would go the way of Revo and L10. 

10 hours ago, d_striker said:

They should just make having a dot optional. 

The only problem with that is Production would go the way of Revo and L10. 

10 hours ago, mreed911 said:

I'm just excited to think about shooting my first match with RFPO - can't be far off, right, since we're harmonizing rules and making things cheaper and easier?

Have either of you up to this point shot CO?  You both seem to have opinions about it, just wondering?

IF you have not shot it in the past, do you intend to shoot CO in the future?

2 minutes ago, zhunter said:

Have either of you up to this point shot CO?  You both seem to have opinions about it, just wondering?

IF you have not shot it in the past, do you intend to shoot CO in the future?

I have.  Not enough to be classified yet, but yes.  I just started this month (only to see the rules change).  My new 140mm mags are on order - due tomorrow.

I've also shot RFPO in non-sanctioned steel challenge matches (no scores reported) and the RFPO comment above was, of course, a joke. :)