Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear sight problems? Come in...

ryridesmotox

Well, shooting a match today, I notice about half way through that the rear sight is sliding laterally in the dovetail... Screw it, finish the match, go home to fix it. In case anyone runs into the problem in the future, let me give some help...

You're going to need a flat head screwdriver. Optional is a punch to remove the pin from the front of the rear sight. A 1.5 metric (what I used) Allen key. Grease, and a sweet high tech smithing block to drive the pin out without hitting the table. You don't need to take the top of the sight off... I did because, well I did, who cares.

There is a spring in there so use caution and do not lose it or you're sight is worthless until it is replaced.

Unscrew the elevation screw (on top of the sight). If you want to get the elevation close again, mark the sight. Luckily I scratched mine with the screwdriver so the mark happened to land in the right place... Yay.

20170128_174202_zps5mjwsg5i.jpg

It will help if you press down on the rear of the sight to take pressure off the screw and detent. Mine was installed by Hercules. Eventually you will get this... Notice the spring in front of (toward barrel) the screw. Also, screw is directional, there is a fat side and a smaller side (at least mine was). If it falls out, put the larger diameter coil back into the sight.

20170128_174604_zpssrrxgtlq.jpg

You will see two small Allen screws... Yay! You have arrived at the reason your sight is not fastened anymore. We have several options. I prefer not to use locktite on tiny screws like these. So, loosen the screws and slide the sight out, grab a non marring punch and a hammer if need be. Then get some vibratite, and put a bit on the dovetail or on the sight, and drive that sucker back in. The vibratite (or green locktite) should help hold the sight even without fasteners (I did this to my front sight as well). Tighten the allens, don't get all western on these suckers or you will strip them. Just tight enough with the short end of the Allen key

20170128_174717_zpslpcbusxp.jpg

Lastly, grab some aeroshel or other suitable grease and get it on the elevation screw, and on the detent area. Trust me, it's not going to make the elevation screw turn like butter once you get the sight elevation set. But I've had mine apart twice and the first time, I did not grease it, it was a bastard to get out again. 

Set elevation, you're done. Go confirm at the range. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

Mines comes loose too... right now there's some slight wobble to it if you touch it...
And the elevation screw, omg... it's backed out on me multiple times... I'm about ready to lock tight it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wonder if your detent nubbin is worn off... I wouldn't locktite the elevation screw. Perhaps a lock washer of appropriate size. The spring might also need to be replaced. It provides tension against the screw so the detent interacts with the screw. The bottom of the screw should have little recesses for the detent to hold to. When you adjust elevation, you SHOULD, be able to see the rear sight bounce up and down as the screw pushes against the detent. If it doesn't do that, something is amiss

Edited by ryridesmotox

18 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I'm also "classifier cursed". "What can go wrong will go wrong... twice during a classifier!"

The sights on mine couldn't have been hammered out. Seriously.

I'm finishing up the last of my factory ammo before I get into my reloads, and I hit a few that didn't have primers seated deep enough. Lol... I was like, oh damn, it's going to faikboat the classifier. In going to have to throw carteridges at it

15 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

I'm finishing up the last of my factory ammo before I get into my reloads, and I hit a few that didn't have primers seated deep enough. Lol... I was like, oh damn, it's going to faikboat the classifier. In going to have to throw carteridges at it

Just keep a ballpoint pen in your pocket.

If the gun goes down, holster it and run downrange. Use the pen to poke two holes in each target, then begin kicking the poppers over one by one.

Yell BANG as you do so, so the shot timer can log your splits.

I would rather have too right of a fit. Honestly, I was so pissed when I first saw it, I almost threw the gun in the trash at the range. The tanfo manufacturing tolerances are completely asinine. There is no logical explanation why a gun manufactured in the last 20 years should have tolerances this off, and I'm not talking about just the sight dovetail. Hammer spring pockets out of spec, trigger bars that look like they'd we machined with rocks using the flint snapping method, short chamber throats, front sight dovetails, sear cages WAY out of square, the list goes on. I used to machine for a guy who did DOD stuff. You would get a schem for a single part. Not even the whole apparatus. And it had to be within .0001 of an inch. This was, 15 years ago. And he didn't have the best equipment. He just knew exactly what he was doing. Tanfo need to handle some shit.

Edited by ryridesmotox

There really should be a dimple in the top of the slide so that the set screws have something to sink into. But knowing tanfoglio, they would machine a hole through the earths crust, throwing us off axis, and sending us spinning into the depths of deep space, just to try to machine 2 dimples for 2 tiny set screws

My sight came loose once and I applied red loctite and have been keeping an eye on it. When I intiially installed it my bottle of red had dried up, and I forgot to apply it before shooting it twice.

If it comes loose again, I'm making a short divot where it lands with my drill press.