Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 160 with TG

chubs

I could not get my attempts with 160 to shoot well at all.  I used 3.0 TG with SNS 160s in glocks with both standard and lone wolf barrels along with a VP9.  None would shoot them well.  I had a few instances of tumbling too.

What Gun?
Makes a difference on OAL u can get away with.
I favor WSF. IMO WSF is able to work better at the he higher end than TG again IMO.
I have run 165s to 1000fps if I had the need. Keep in mind your in dangerous territory with no margin for sloppy reloading. I would not attempt that with TG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/29/2017 at 8:28 AM, hcore44 said:

I could not get my attempts with 160 to shoot well at all.  I used 3.0 TG with SNS 160s in glocks with both standard and lone wolf barrels along with a VP9.  None would shoot them well.  I had a few instances of tumbling too.

I used the same load at 1.14OAL and when chronoed all came in between 797-803. Accuracy wasn't as good as 147s, and definitely not as good as 124 jhps. 

I weighed a bunch of the bullets, and they were between 158.1-160 grains. I bumped my load to 3.2, and was getting 130-134 pf, but, bullets were tumbling.

I called SNS, and he tried to tell me I had too much crimp, but, I measure each case (once-fired Winchester) and have my press set up for no crimp, just straightening out the bell.

He also suggested switching from Titegroup, to Sport Pistol.

I loaded a test batch with 3 grains of Sport pistol, and all came in between 130-135pf, just where I like to be, but, most bullets were tumbling again.

Guns used were 2 Sig xfives, and M&P Pro, with Apex, gunsmith-fit barrel.

I guess I see why 160 grain bullets weren't listed as being used by anybody at USPSA and IDPA nationals. 126-128pf is just too close.

I will burn up the rest of my 160s at lower velocities, just for steel.