Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard case for PRS rifle

ranger

Ok, I have the bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor and scope combo - now I need a better case to get back and forth to range and travel to long range facilities. Interested to see what other long range shooters are using for a "hard" long rifle case. Really looking for a hard case with a balance of value - good enough to protect the rifle-scope but at best price point.

I used to use pelican storm 3300. You probably won't find much better especially for the price.

Lately I have been using a tac ops drag bag and like it better. It is easier to carry and fits better in a car/truck...and I can put the entire bag into the pelican case.

Pelican as well.  They are heavy, big and bulky, but they will protect what ever you have.  I also had some Starlight cases, very similar.  You can find some good cases on line, a lot of time, Pelican make cases with others names on them, Browning, Cabelas , etc.   Just because it has some other name , does not mean that it did not come from the same mold.

I prefer the SKB double rifle case to the Pelican double rifle cause because it's a little lighter so you have more weight for your rifles/ammo to be under the 50# limit for airlines before you get nailed with overweight fees. I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/SKB-Large-Double-Rifle-Case/dp/B001B97CY6

I've flown with it a few times and it's held up well. I can fit 2x bolt guns with 26" barrels and brakes in chassis. To get under the 50# limit though with both rifles, I need to remove one of the scopes.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a Pelican 1750 from Cableas. They were on sale 15% off, then a MIL discount, then a $20 off coupon, and then $12 in Cabelas points brought the price down dramatically. Got the FDE color. Thanks all for input.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My dealer had some used Military cases from Ft. Bragg for I believe $199.00  They were Pelican's or Starlite's in OD Green.  A little ruff on the outside, but very serviceable. The cases are like tanks.

Call and ask for Ed, tell him Tom Roupe told you to call..  Ed's Gun Shop  910-692-7936

I have several of the 1750 Pelicans--great for cross country/airline travel.For local range work, you may want to consider the SKB 3i-4909-5 . It is 49'x9"x5" interior.( l x w x d ).

• 1 month later...

The Patriot case is the way to go the custom foam cut to fit your rifle provides the best protection. They also provide space for mags and accessories. They also support numerous matches. They also will put your name on the outside of the case.

• 1 month later...

2nd for drag bag hard case combo. When you go the custom foam route you are pretty much marrying your rifle to that case. If you change scope, chassis, bipod...etc it can present problems. Or if you sell the rifle you can keep the case to use with something else. Check this guy out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152151643687?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT