Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II/III 40, One Gun For 4 Divisions?

OPENB

I recently picked up a used Limited Pro 9mm to replace my Glock 34 for production & carry optics. I started thinking that a 40 could make a great 4 division gun. Do all the PD mods & polishing, shoot a great 40 minor load for production & CO. Put a heavier recoil spring & maybe a magwell & Henning base pads, shoot it single action for Ltd. & L10. I have a Jpoint & Primary Machine mount for CO, a couple 5 gal. buckets of 40 brass. Do all the usual PD parts work on the 40 guns? Are there any downsides I'm not seeing? Which would be better, a Stock II or III? I think a 40 LimPro would not be ideal. 

Edited by OPENB

If you were going to run minor in limited, I'd say II.  But if you're going to run major, the lll.  Just to suck up recoil a little more for major?  I don't know.  I think ultimately people will just end up telling you can't go wrong and just go with your preference?  I'm wondering why you think the Lim Pro wouldn't be ideal.  

Personally I think the added weight helps a bit to make the Limited a better, uh, Limited division gun than a Lim Pro. The Limited is surprisingly easy to transition with. The weight balance is more in the palm of my hand and not as out front as it feels on a Stock II or III. 

I think the SIII will be too heavy as a CO gun. I just read the long thread when Primary Machine came out with the mini red dot adapter plates, & SII's were barely making the 45oz. limit.   I definitely would want to shoot major in L & L10. 

What is the weight of an SIII with empty mag? I've seen 2.1# on for sale listings, but must be without a mag. Still thinking out loud here...

I think the LimPro might be a little light with 40 major. Compared to the Stock twins. 

Edited by OPENB

I have a s2 - 40 for CO.  40 minor is soft.  very flat shooting.   The tuning, tweaks and twiddling is nearly IDENTICAL on all the competition frame guns, (except for Da vs sa).  The SA guns need less love to yield great results. But the steps polishing and upgrading are so close, if you did lim pro, a limited wouldn't be a bother.

The conversion of reflex to iron and such is something you NEED a sight pusher for.  you REALLY only want to diddle with that a very limited number of times.

That's why I still have s2-9mm for production.  My opinion is that while possible to do, as a practical matter it's not feasible to use one frame for 4 divisions.

17 minutes ago, johnbu said:

The conversion of reflex to iron and such is something you NEED a sight pusher for.  you REALLY only 

Do you know if the MGW sight tool works with Tanfo?  Will the CZ75 shoe work?

8 hours ago, homewrecker07 said:

So what's the point of using a 40 over a 9mm? Lighter recoil on 40?

So one gun could be used for major & minor, like a 40 single stack can be 8 round major or 10 round minor. This is the only series of guns I can think of that is versatile enough. It has the capacity to be competitive in limited, yet still be a soft shooting minor gun for production. With the trigger mods, I don't think you give up much compared to 2011's, when shooting the EAA in single action.. In the long run, cost of 40 brass is higher, but im set on that for a while. Light 40 bullets are comparable in cost to heavy 9 bullets. 

I agree with moving the red dot plate a lot is not practical, so throw CO out of the equation. I'd rather shoot open than CO anyhow.

Lim Pro would be perfectly fine for the classes mentioned (some better than others, but still perfectly suitable).
Also, given the itch, you could shoot SSP and/or ESP in IDPA with the Lim Pro... depending on the mods you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For CO, a S2-40 csn make weight with Henning grips, mag pads and dovetail mounted vortex viper

20 hours ago, homewrecker07 said:

So what's the point of using a 40 over a 9mm? Lighter recoil on 40?

I think either would be just fine. The extra weight and sight radius of the Stock 3 might be helpful when shooting limited. You should shoot a .40 minor production gun before committing to this idea if production/CO will be your primary division. I know several guys that shot Stock 2 .40s in production before the 9s were common in the US. None of them hated .40 minor but all have since bought 9mm guns. 

17 minutes ago, taxil343 said:

I think either would be just fine. The extra weight and sight radius of the Stock 3 might be helpful when shooting limited. You should shoot a .40 minor production gun before committing to this idea if production/CO will be your primary division. I know several guys that shot Stock 2 .40s in production before the 9s were common in the US. None of them hated .40 minor but all have since bought 9mm guns. 

Did they do it because of how the gun shot, or for 40 component reasons? When I was primarily a Ltd. shooter, and starting into 3 gun, I shot my SV with 40 minor ammo. I'm not gonna jump into anything until I shoot this LimPro some. Who knows, I may hate CZ/Tanfo platform. But it does feel great dryfiring.

43 minutes ago, OPENB said:

Did they do it because of how the gun shot, or for 40 component reasons? When I was primarily a Ltd. shooter, and starting into 3 gun, I shot my SV with 40 minor ammo. I'm not gonna jump into anything until I shoot this LimPro some. Who knows, I may hate CZ/Tanfo platform. But it does feel great dryfiring.

They swapped because 40 minor "felt slow" compared to 9 minor. And that was loading 165s to 135ish pf. These guys are much better/more experienced than I am. I personally could not feel any difference and didn't see a competitive advantage to 9 over 40. I went with 9 is because I was already set up to load it and I only shoot production with this gun. 

I once put together a multi-division gun, then never changed it over.  The trouble is you will always be giving something up in each division, my suggestion is to pick a division and build a gun for it.  If you get bored with it, get a different gun for a different division.  Resale value will never be as good on an all-in-one pile of parts than a purpose-built gun.

Candice's recommendation has me looking at the Limited. Nice looking gun. What I'd really love to have is a 2011 style gun with a DA/SA trigger for production. I had a Para LDA long time ago. Like a 16 shot revolver. I just could not get into that trigger.  But an STI Edge with a PT steel grip, & a d/s trigger would rock. 

Close. The ergos are different. I love the safety location on 1911/2011. But similar enough that I'm falling in love with Tanfos after shooting STI since 1995. Looking forward to my Monday match tomorrow to shoot my LimPro. 

Any way we could get the Stock II AUS here? Why don't they import the longer slide version?

Edited by OPENB

13 hours ago, OPENB said:

Close. The ergos are different. I love the safety location on 1911/2011. But similar enough that I'm falling in love with Tanfos after shooting STI since 1995. Looking forward to my Monday match tomorrow to shoot my LimPro. 

Any way we could get the Stock II AUS here? Why don't they import the longer slide version?

OPENB, if you see M.F. tonight, ask him to handle his Stock II and his Limited.