Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Model P9LSP (Cross posted on Springfield page)

e5young

How are you all doing?!

I am approaching my 21st birthday so I will finally get to buy my first handgun. While my dad has handguns so I'm not new to the handgun world of shooting, I am looking for something special as my first pistol. I am in CA so we do have a roster, basically all guns except for glock gen 3's are illegal here. 

That being said, I have a friend that is offering to sell me his Springfield Model P9 LSP (long slide ported) for my birthday. I am trying to find as much information as I can but Google is lacking of much information. I could only find that they are Tanfo OEM parts assembled in the US by Springfield (I don't even know if this is correct). I was also told that they used to be used heavily as Open guns if they were chambered in 9x21 to make major power factor. This one my buddy is selling is chambered in 9x19. 

Anyone here own one and/or have more information surrounding this pistol? Where can I get extra parts? Barrels? Sights? I kinda want to shoot this in production but it is ported....

Thanks in advanced! 

16325866_357380247982524_438773037_o.jpg

Edited by e5young

Nice piece bro. Definitely scoop it up.

Got a couple guys down near South Riverside and North San Diego county that go shoot at Pala. One local dude would probably know a ton about that thing... He isn't on here anymore though.

Edit: grab a G34 or G17 to shoot production with. The new rules are everything is 10 round limits. So not much reason to shoot open right now here in this communist wasteland. But grab that thing for sure.

You can shoot open with anything if you want. You won't be as competitive, but it will be the most fun you've had with clothes on. If you don't like it, I'll buy it.

Edited by ryridesmotox

One of these pistols was what got me interested in Tanfoglio in the first place. I ended up selling the gun to help finance a Limited Pro because I figured it wouldnt work out in USPSA due to the ported barrel.

You might be able to get a small frame Tanfoglio barrel to fit, but I am uncertain. These are essentially small frame Tanfoglios that are as you said assembled in the US by SA.

Congrats on your upcoming bday. I'm sure that is a nicely built gun, that would be a hoot to shoot, but if you intend to compete, it doesn't really fit in anywhere. I would probably take a look at the production gun list, and try to pick your first gun from there. It may be a good idea to read through the Production equipment rules first, to make sure you don't find yourself with a gun you cant compete (competitively) with... I remember my first gun, CZ 75 SA in .40 I found myself shooting Limited 10 because it was the only place it fit in. Fantastic gun, even went to CZC for trigger job (even more fantastic), but I have since sold it and have bought more dedicated limited and production guns, they are far more competitive in their respective divisions. I will say though that I wish I never sold that CZ, just because it was my first, same as you bought very shortly after my 21st...

Good luck!

Nice piece bro. Definitely scoop it up.

Got a couple guys down near South Riverside and North San Diego county that go shoot at Pala. One local dude would probably know a ton about that thing... He isn't on here anymore though.

Edit: grab a G34 or G17 to shoot production with. The new rules are everything is 10 round limits. So not much reason to shoot open right now here in this communist wasteland. But grab that thing for sure.

You can shoot open with anything if you want. You won't be as competitive, but it will be the most fun you've had with clothes on. If you don't like it, I'll buy it.

Is his name Edrick by any chance? Haha. I shoot with the Norco crew whenever I can.

I've used my dad's M&P9L for production (and limited minor lol) for the past 3 years. I was really wondering if I could find an unported barrel for this gun in order to shoot production.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Honestly, I'd just buy the proper Tanfoglio that was most competitive in Production, or Limited, or Open.

Thats a neat gun and I'd live to own it just because. But I wouldn't buy it to compete with.

Unfortunately in CA, tanfos are "dangerous handguns"

Dads got other handguns he can loan me though. Been shooting prod and limited minor for a while with his m&p

If it's CHEAP, snap it up.  run it in open as is.  you won't win any matches, but will still have fun. look over the usual places (gunbroker, ebay, classifieds here) for a spare small frame slide and barrel. The cuts probably would keep you out of production even with a non-ported barrel.

Then save up for the blaster of your dreams, or at least what the commies will let you get! All the tricks will work the same.

9 hours ago, e5young said:

Is his name Edrick by any chance? Haha. I shoot with the Norco crew whenever I can.

I've used my dad's M&P9L for production (and limited minor lol) for the past 3 years. I was really wondering if I could find an unported barrel for this gun in order to shoot production.

Nah... All the guys here know him. His status is... Well... Undetermined