Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experienced with multiple brands of coated bullets?

IGOTGLOCKED

38 minutes ago, 57K said:

That is true! Do you know the difference or whether that's relative enough to effect which you should buy? Most of these coatings are made in Australia, just come in different colors. Blue Bullets uses their own, but I have not seen any thing that would suggest that it's superior.

The thing that would have the greater affect on me is the velocity the coated bullets are rated for and if, in fact, they will stand up to that when they're put to the test. In cases other than Magnum Revolver loads, that would really only come down to 1 competition pistol load. 9mm Major for those who use 115 gr. Polycioated bullets.

Blue bullets reportedly hold up to 1500 with 115's. I KNOW BBI'S will. 

I sampled some 124/5 Blue bullets in 9MAJOR but just didn't see any reason to switch from BBI'S which is a known quality.

I was happy with BBI 147 / N320 in my CZ's until they changed the mold, the newer ones now are fatter at the base, I'd need to load them shorter than I like in a stock CZ barrel. I switched to ACME 147 / N320 / 1.12 oal and been very happy with them in CZ and PCC. 

I have shot a lot of SNS bullets over the years.  They are my favorite, by far.  The bullets shoot extremely well.  But also their customer service and support of the game are greatly appreciated.

I will say, they made a huge improvement with the red bullets. The reds don't leave any residue in the dies or my gun.  They look pretty neat, too!

I shop coated bullets both by price and by preferred bullet shapes.  In hi-tek coated, I've tried Black and Blue, Bayou, Missouri, and H&S.  For 147s, H&S is the cheapest I've found.  I haven't shot too many of theirs yet, but I've got no complaints so far.

I may try some of their 230gr RNFP as well.  I really like Ibejiheads .45 200gr TCFP shape...but I've not seen anyone else offering that bullet coated.  They're a little more $ than H&S 230gr.  For .45 I like the idea of a slightly lighter than usual for caliber weight bullet so I can keep the velocity up (safe for reactive targets) and recoil down.

I like Precision and you can get various diameters if you ask.  I use the .358 size in 9mm and it seems to work quite well for me.  It's their .358-125gr-FP bullet @ 1.165 OAL with 3.2 gr of Clays (Australian version).

I found BBI changed their ogive when they went to groveless 147, I have to load their 147 much shorter than Bayou

I use Bayou overall, never a problem with quality and consistency =.

Mostly because a few years back when bullets were hard to get I called Donnie and told him I was down to the last 200 bullets

and 2 days later a case was at the door, so he literally saved missing a major for me.  MAde me pretty loyal to Bayou

Great bullets in IMO

I've shot SNS for a couple years now. At least 50,000 bullets in 9mm and .45.

They make a great product and put back a lot into our sport. 

Awesome customer service as well. I give them a call and they make my 9mm @ .357 diameter bullets  I use in my Sigs usually within a week.  No complaints at all. ?

Like many here, I have had great results from Bayou and SNS. For me, with any SWC, I always go to WST. Unfortunately. it is a bit difficult to find at the moment. So, for now, I will be using HP-38, True Blue, and maybe Clays.

9 hours ago, 57K said:

njl, you sound like a prime candidate for discovering the majical wonders of the 200 gr. LSWC, better still, the coated variety. I load a lot of mine @ 1.240" with 4.8 grs. of WST. Velocity from my 4.5" barrel is just barely over 800 FPS. Accurate, clean, bunnyfart!

When you find a good deal on cast or plated where the wights and diameters are pretty uniform, it usually is a great deal and only a metter of time until others discover the same. Since we switched to SNS we've had really excellent results and I mention them because I thought they made a 200 GR. TC where guilt by association means that they will have a flat nose and most are similar in length. SNS is now using Hi-Tek red, and like someone said in another thread if not here, red is cool. I thought pretty much the same thing about gold or blue. I really don't care, I like most any of them with a polycoat!

Trouble is, I do a good amount of my .45 shooting from a G30SF or G30S, and these guns are reputed to be SWC-challenged.  Something about the geometry of the gun causes extracted cases to hang up on the shoulder of the next round.  I suppose with NLG SWC I could play with OAL and try to find one that works...but TC bullets have "just worked."

12 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I like Precision and you can get various diameters if you ask.  I use the .358 size in 9mm and it seems to work quite well for me.  It's their .358-125gr-FP bullet @ 1.165 OAL with 3.2 gr of Clays (Australian version).

I guess I need to slug my bore...

Also glad to hear someone else loads this long... What gun are you shooting?

IGG

10 hours ago, BASE772 said:

I've shot SNS for a couple years now. At least 50,000 bullets in 9mm and .45.

They make a great product and put back a lot into our sport. 

Awesome customer service as well. I give them a call and they make my 9mm @ .357 diameter bullets  I use in my Sigs usually within a week.  No complaints at all. ?

That is a pretty strong testimonial!

Thx!

Igotglocked:

It's a 9mm Citadel with a Kart NM barrel.  I had it throated so I could load a LSWC 130 gr bullet.  I load them to 1.136.  Load the Precision ones longer as they taper more than the LSWC as you approach the case mouth.

18 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Igotglocked:

It's a 9mm Citadel with a Kart NM barrel.  I had it throated so I could load a LSWC 130 gr bullet.  I load them to 1.136.  Load the Precision ones longer as they taper more than the LSWC as you approach the case mouth.

Nice!

1 hour ago, GlockGuy1 said:

I did some testing this week between Xtreme, Cimarron and BBI.  The groups were all similar, with BBI being the best price and Chandler picked up the phone personally when I called with a question.  

Thanks for sharing the results, guess I need to check out BBI.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried the Acme red 148gr wadcutter bullets in 38 and 357. Behind a fairly stiff charge of 2400 in 357 brass the bullets give off a sickening stink like burning plastic. Also benched, in both 38 and 357 brass, the bullets to not group as good as well made square based cast wadcutters. The difference is quite noticeable. I'll never buy any more.

Edited by parisite