Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Set up at local matches

mlm

Oh that makes sense I guess.  Our membership to the range does not support the shooting sports at all.  We have to be self sufficient.  They just "allow" us to use the range.  Its nice that currently they dont charge non members for shooting our match.  But the match has to be ran by members.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

Oh that makes sense I guess.  Our membership to the range does not support the shooting sports at all.  We have to be self sufficient.  They just "allow" us to use the range.  Its nice that currently they dont charge non members for shooting our match.  But the match has to be ran by members.  

shooting sports at our range provide a steady flow of $$ to the club, even with low entry fees ($10 members, $15 non-members for uspsa, $3 and $5 for steel challenge).

we also have practical shooters on the BOD, which never hurts.

In my opinion, there needs to be a clear business delienation between the USPSA club and the hosting range/club.

Unfortunately, that forces things to be more black and white or "cut and dried" in terms of making the USPSA club an actual 501 c 3 entity on its own that has a contract with the hosting range/club....to basically rent the range for X amount of time, Y times per year.

To do otherwise is hoping beyond hope that the range's board doesn't get any more Fudd's on it that votes out USPSA entirely.

Conversely, you could always stack the board with USPSA'ers, too.

Having a separate USPSA club keeps the USPSA club's money from co-mingling with the host range's/club's money.

Trust me, I have been there before...relying on another entity to buy targets for an upcoming match...and end up ordering and paying for targets out of my own pocket at the last minute.

There is way more to it and each method has its pros and cons.

Trying to get in on the board will be my next step.  We have shooters on the board but its all bullseye, F-class and high power guys.  

The way ours is setup is if we have money left over at the end of the year the money goes back to the club.  But it always gets spent on steel, targets, props or whatever.  Our range has a ridiculous amount of money.  So any money we could generate I dont think they care about.  

Yep...yep...there is a similar range/club near St. Louis...the one that pays the MD's $250 for each match they put on....

The last time I looked at their IRS Form 990's, the gun club president was getting paid $50,000 a year.

Not bad money for driving a brush hog equipped tractor and attracting whatever matches you can to that facility each year.

16 hours ago, Sarge said:

That's crazy! I stress turn and burn when I MD OR RO even. I don't rush shooters once they are on the line but they need to be ready when they are called. And everybody else is expected to hustle( at least not to drag ass) at all times. 

7-10 minutes? I'm still shaking my head. Most stages are shot in 30 seconds, scored in less than a minute and being reset right behind the scoring RO.

Who said anything about minutes?  That was a statement about number of people. 

14 minutes ago, DanL said:

Who said anything about minutes?  That was a statement about number of people. 

That's what I thought, too.  7-10 people.  

Timewise, IIRC, a well-run long course stage at an L2 can put 15 shooters through in about 45 minutes if everybody does their part (although you'll have some pretty bushed staff at the end of the day).

Edited by teros135

3 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

That would only happen once before I became not so nice MD.  

Is this an actual USPSA club?  I don't know how they can do $5 with USPSA fees and the price of cardboard targets.  

This club currently only offers IDPA. Although I did get approval from the board to look into starting a USPSA match, but I needed another member to be MD so never got it off the ground. A USPSA match would need to be priced higher, but the club doesn't try to make any money on the match.

The IDPA match is only $5 and it's open to anyone who wants to shoot it. No need to joint the club if you don't want to. They hold 6 IDPA matches a month. If you do want to be a member it's only $75 per year. They have have 7 pistol pits and 100-600 yard rifle that members can use when ever there is not a even going on. And a couple times a year they open up the 1,000 yard range. It's pretty hard to beat this place. There was a story on shooting USA recently about the range.

3 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Yep...yep...there is a similar range/club near St. Louis...the one that pays the MD's $250 for each match they put on....

The last time I looked at their IRS Form 990's, the gun club president was getting paid $50,000 a year.

Not bad money for driving a brush hog equipped tractor and attracting whatever matches you can to that facility each year.

man, I'm in the wrong business ....

One local match that I shoot doesn't allow pre-match walk-through of any of the stages unless you help set up. So, if you did't set up you get the allotted 5 minutes only before your squad shoots. This is communicated through Pratiscore prior to the each match.

Tear down goes pretty smooth with the squad breaking down the stage they ended on. If any shooters walk away without tearing down they are verbally "encouraged" to help the rest of the squad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk