Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just bought a 650... what else do I need

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a thread on this already but I couldn't find one. I have a single stage that I've reloaded rifle rounds with but I'm still fairly new to reloading. I just bought a 650 with a 45 conversion kit. I plan on loading 45acp, 40s&w, and 9mm. What other equipment do I NEED to get started and what else is nice to have. 

Thanks in advance 

Copied from my post at the CZ forum:

The two washers and the bearing are less than $10 from McMasterr-Carr.  You WILL need to tweak your wire that feeds completed cartridges after station 5... so order an extra wire or two.  (OR,,, mill out the block that feeds the cases to station 1....in hind sight, a better option for someone with free access to a milling machine).  The washers/bearing are a must imo.  Allows you to tighten down the mounting bolt just a bit more.  This.... plus make sure the rotation timing is perfect....... and you will never have to worry about powder spill due to the shell plate snapping into place.  OR......only use one washer and you probably won't need to tweak the wire.

Other upgrades:
1) Inline Fab makes a light kit.  A 6" LED strip light plus a beam that plugs into the center hole of your top die set.  A must have imo 10/10

2) Dillon bullet tray.  9/10 because you can probably rig something up cheaper.

3) Dillon Strong Mount.  7/10 depends on your mounting situation

4) Roller Handles.  A few out there... I have one that is OK, better than stock....but something you can add later.  Inline (I think( has a "new" ergo roller handle that you might want)  8/10

5) Cartridge bin "plate"......slides into the slot on the outside of the Arco bin and blocks cartridges from escaping as the bin gets full.  Not necessary but..... 5/10  (a strong self-cut cardboard option IS possible)

6) The micrometer style powder adjustment. Simple to install, simple to use.  I have one on each of my powder bars and make easy adjustments and can really "dial" in the powder drop.  Not cheap, but I really like these.  9/10 (missing one because it still takes effort :) to get the drop perfect)

7) I do have a roller camming pin.  Not sure if you really need one. BUT......it IS important to learn how to properly adjust the pin you use...whether the Dillon or a roller pin.  This is what causes a majority of shell plate snap..that spills the powder.

8) Add a rubber band to the end of the primer ski ramp. 

9) SA Development Press Monitor.  Totally unnecessary but it has saved me at times...especially during development or after a tweak,,,, when I have lost track of whether I go up or down.  Other neat features as well.  Again, not necessary.  (I made a handful of brackets (a can let sell for just a little more than shipping) to mount directly to the case feeder pole (But you need the Model II and Alan is onto generation III)

I went back to using the stock spent primer cup after trying several options...that in the end, really only save a minute or two per month.

I went without a case feeder for my first two years.  Not as bad as you would think as the SA Monitor alerted me for case additions every 20 strokes......but am glad I now have added the CF.

Edited by amada8

Besides a case feeder I have to say the primer upgrades are a must.  There is a spent and fresh primer upgrade that is amazing.  I'm a little amazed dillon hasn't done something similar.  Only reason I can come up with is someone has fixed it and they don't want or need to take their  business.  Search ebay and it wont be far.

I think the only thing you NEED is dies and conversion kits and quick change kits.  If it were me I would get one of these to not speed large to small primer change over:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-small-priming-system_8_116_23808.html   Its two bolts to change from large to small now.  I assume you got the correct case feeder plates.

I broke/screwed up a couple of things when I first got my 650.  If you are a competition shooter and load at the last minute, I would have a spare parts kit on hand.  

The machine will run better with a Dillon resizing die in station one in my experience but it will run with others.

I don't consider the casefeeder optional, what's the point of a 650 without one? Seriously.

I've done nothing but put dies on my 650. Nothing. I don't load major so no issues with powder spillage unless I do something dumb. Just load it with powder, primers, & cases and go load!

• 2 months later...

The thrust bearing washer that's wider than the shell plate bolt is garbage. Get the snowshooze one. Unlike a bunch of cheap parts in a bag, and overcharging for it, his is exactly the same diameter of the bolt. So you won't have jamming against the ejector pawl because you didn't "bend" it perfect, that is needed with the oversized thrust bearing (wow seriously? That's pretty ghetto [emoji19])

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, hceuterpe said:

The thrust bearing washer that's wider than the shell plate bolt is garbage. Get the snowshooze one. Unlike a bunch of cheap parts in a bag, and overcharging for it, his is exactly the same diameter of the bolt. So you won't have jamming against the ejector pawl because you didn't "bend" it perfect, that is needed with the oversized thrust bearing (wow seriously? That's pretty ghetto emoji19.png)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Actually the smartest choice is to order the parts from McMaster . You can get a whole bag of top quality washers and bearings pretty cheap. Then sell the extras!!

And only run one washer folks!

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Actually the smartest choice is to order the parts from McMaster . You can get a whole bag of top quality washers and bearings pretty cheap. Then sell the extras!!

And only run one washer folks!

Yep

Here's the specs for the washer and bearing, if you decide to purchase these components separately.

• Thrust Roller Bearing Washer, TR Type, Open, Inch, 1/2" ID, 15/16" OD, 1/32" Width
  • Thrust Needle Roller Bearing 1/2 x 15/16 x 5/64 inch