Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Troubleshooting help wanted

Sarge

Sarge, do you have any marks on the disconector rail on the sides of it?

if not I believe it's a barrel/barrel fit issue. 

Take the top end apart and just install the barrel and slide stop. Check how the barrel links down and how it sits in the frame. I'm guessing this barrel has a Clark/parra cut?

• 3 weeks later...

Got some great help from some gunsmiths tonight and MIGHT have it figured out. After trying everything here and comparing to what they told me to try I BELIEVE it is a mag catch issue. I swapped them out and the symptoms moved to the other gun. At least in hand cycling tests. Good weather all weekend so I'll be able to verify tomorrow!

Looks like I'll be ordering a Dawson posi loc from SC if it turns out to be the culprit.

Edited by Sarge

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

Curious how a mag catch could be the culprit?

A worn or out of spec mag catch lets the top round sit low enough so the front edge of the slide can skip over the rim and drag the top round forward until things jam. A worn slide edge exacerbates the problem.

Edited by ChuckS

On 8/8/2016 at 0:05 PM, theWacoKid said:

More likely to happen when mag is full or does it happen any time?

Going on the ran perfect for a year, now won't path makes me think wear. Maybe wear on the magazine release, mag catch cutout in the magazine, or inside of grip wear/dimensions. Could you try inducing the malfunction by pulling the bottom of the mag fore, aft, and side to side while shooting? Could that be enough to screw up the feeding geometry?

Just gonna leave this here.  I really tried to help in your last thread last year, think I may have been onto it?  Haha.