Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is my sizing die peeling brass?

LeviSS

I finally got around to trying to get set up to load 10mm for my Glock 20.

My Redding size die is causing brass to flake off and peels some down to the base, leaving a small ridge of brass that can usually be picked off with a fingernail.  Sometimes not.  It's done it with Starline, Hornady, and Federal brass.

I can't figure it out.  At first I had it screwed down to the shell plate, then I saw that it said for 10mm to back it away 1/8" from the shell plate.  Now it does the same thing, just higher on the case.

_20170125_204537.JPG

_20170125_204518.JPG

_20170125_210013.JPG

Edited by LeviSS

7 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

No case lube.  They are carbide dies.

Doesn't matter about the dies. Try some case lube. There's a reason so many of us use it with our carbide dies. It saves a lot of cases and makes things so much easier. Plus improves ammo quality.

My guess is those 10mm 's are stretched out a bit. The same thing happens to 9MAJOR brass if I hit a dry one during a session. Actually worse than you are getting.

You can try one shot but lanolin based like Dillon works much better for me

With the amount of pressure a 10mm occur you get a slight bulge at the bottom of the case case lube will help the best thing if it's possible if you have access to a case pro 100 row sizing the brass would be best before sizing it.  

The weird thing is I loaded some up on my single stage press, with no lube, with the same dies a while back and had no problems.

I just bought a G-RX die.  I guess I could run them through that first.  I bought it for 40, but it will work for 10mm too.

I think by using the push  through die that will greatly help reduce the pealing of the brass finish but once again use case lube for best results even with that  push through die.  

I put all my 10mm cases thru a push-thru die as a first step just like I do my 40S&W.  I use case lube for push-thru, by the way, but not for progressive loading.  Seems to work fine and I no longer get any brass shaving.

LeviSS, you really should use case lube, even with carbide dies.  I'll dump 1000 brass on a towel, spray the whole pile with Hornady One Shot, then pick up the towel by both ends, and tumble the brass round inside the pouch like I'm polishing a bowling ball.  I usually do that twice, then let dry overnight.  The brass are worked far less, as is the die, and you can feel the difference in the ram stroke on the press. 

The reason I started doing this is because I got a brass stuck in the die.  During a long reloading session, the die heated up and expanded a little, and after a while, the brass and die were sticking when I dropped the ram.  I didn't realize what was happening until a case ripped out of the shellplate, abruptly ending a reloading session and rendering a Redding sizing die unusable.

Use some lube. ;) 

Just me, but I can't believe that you are able to size a case down so close to the extractor groove.

Next, I have never heard of NOT having the sizing die lightly contact the shell plate, except for some few who think the "neck" sizing their pistol cases will produce better accuracy.

The die mouth should have a chamfer. I have a couple of first-generation RCBS carbide dies from the late '70s (I think) that have almost NO chamfer. So, in your case, I would suggest you contact the die company, show them the pictures, and have them check the die. It could be a cracked carbide ring or poor machining.

If lube actually solves the problem: surprise, surprise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, IDescribe said:

During a long reloading session, the die heated up and expanded a little, and after a while, the brass and die were sticking when I dropped the ram.  I didn't realize what was happening until a case ripped out of the shellplate, abruptly ending a reloading session and rendering a Redding sizing die unusable.

That's some serious reloading ID

I think noylj was hitting on this, but what does the inlet into the die look lie?  With the shaving result you show I'd expect there to be a sharp edge along the inlet ring instead of a nice rounded/chamfered profile.  For what it's worth, I don't use lube either (my friend harass me for it, but I've never found I needed it).