Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Settling on a division... how did YOU decide?

Fatso

This is an awesome post with some great stories and decision making comments.

I'm a new shooter to USPSA (actually only been shooting for a year at the range) and haven't decided on Production or Limited - Minor. This year will have nothing to do with points, standings or any of that (although knowing me, I'll watch it and get kranky if I'm not improving my standings). It'll be about accuracy, safety, and self-improvement.

I'll be shooting a P320 full size in 9mm, probably 124gr ammo. I like the idea of the Limited division with the full mags and less reloading to concentrate on shooting and stage management. But Production is a level playing field for ammo compared to Limited (minor vs major) as well as scoring. So I'm torn. I still have a bit to make that decision as I'm still waiting on my first delivery of gear plus the practice I'll need to get used to it all and draws/reloads.

But thanks for the great post and replies here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe try getting a 320 rx slide and shoot carry Optics? You'd be able to fill load and shoot against other minor production guns.

Carry optics is awesome, it's actually turning me on to thinking about a open gun in the near future.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, streckjc said:

This is an awesome post with some great stories and decision making comments.

I'm a new shooter to USPSA (actually only been shooting for a year at the range) and haven't decided on Production or Limited - Minor. This year will have nothing to do with points, standings or any of that (although knowing me, I'll watch it and get kranky if I'm not improving my standings). It'll be about accuracy, safety, and self-improvement.

I'll be shooting a P320 full size in 9mm, probably 124gr ammo. I like the idea of the Limited division with the full mags and less reloading to concentrate on shooting and stage management. But Production is a level playing field for ammo compared to Limited (minor vs major) as well as scoring. So I'm torn. I still have a bit to make that decision as I'm still waiting on my first delivery of gear plus the practice I'll need to get used to it all and draws/reloads.

But thanks for the great post and replies here.

Have you shot a match yet? If not, sign up for the next available match and shoot Limited. If you get hooked then you can decide whether or not Production is for you. 

Just now, TravisNC said:

Have you shot a match yet? If not, sign up for the next available match and shoot Limited. If you get hooked then you can decide whether or not Production is for you. 

I haven't shot a match yet. I still don't have the gear, just the gun/eyes/ears. I hope to sign up for a match next month.

Just now, streckjc said:

I haven't shot a match yet. I still don't have the gear, just the gun/eyes/ears. I hope to sign up for a match next month.

Definitely shoot your first (couple) match(es) in Limited and focus on learning the ins and outs of competitive shooting.  Do you have a holster, two mag pouches and 3 mags?  If so you're ready to go. 

Don't get caught up in buying gear until you're sure what division you want to shoot.  

4 minutes ago, TravisNC said:

Definitely shoot your first (couple) match(es) in Limited and focus on learning the ins and outs of competitive shooting.  Do you have a holster, two mag pouches and 3 mags?  If so you're ready to go. 

I've ordered the gear I'll need at a minimum to get through Production (belt, holster, extra mags, mag pouches, etc), which is where I've been leaning. There are a few rules for Production that I'm not a fan of, but it also keeps me from spending too much money at the start.

1 minute ago, streckjc said:

I've ordered the gear I'll need at a minimum to get through Production (belt, holster, extra mags, mag pouches, etc), which is where I've been leaning. There are a few rules for Production that I'm not a fan of, but it also keeps me from spending too much money at the start.

What rules don't you like? 

Just now, TravisNC said:

What rules don't you like? 

Weight, size mainly. Can't add nice mag pads to add some weight and length for grabbing mags during reloads. Plus the 10 round limit.

I can do things like replace guide rod & spring, trigger, mag release button, etc in Production which is nice. So there are pro's and con's that have to be measured against.

Weight, size mainly. Can't add nice mag pads to add some weight and length for grabbing mags during reloads. Plus the 10 round limit.

I can do things like replace guide rod & spring, trigger, mag release button, etc in Production which is nice. So there are pro's and con's that have to be measured against.

You can add basepads to your magazines. They just have to still fit in the production box. Weights are from the production gun lists.

Just now, bsand said:

You can add basepads to your magazines. They just have to still fit in the production box. Weights are from the production gun lists.

Yes, there are some base pads that may work size wise, but the 2oz limit can be eclipsed pretty quickly with base pads and different guide rods, etc.

Yes, there are some base pads that may work size wise, but the 2oz limit can be eclipsed pretty quickly with base pads and different guide rods, etc.

Could always shoot carry Optics. Max weight is 45 oz.
Which is kinda hard to max with a polymer gun. No magazine caps, only length 140mm. And your only shooting against other minor production guns with a red dot and 24 rounds on tap :)

5 minutes ago, streckjc said:

Again, I would strongly recommend shooting a couple matches before mapping out the future of your pistol/rig.  

1 minute ago, bsand said:

Could always shoot carry Optics. Max weight is 45 oz.
Which is kinda hard to max with a polymer gun. No magazine caps, only length 140mm. And your only shooting against other minor production guns with a red dot and 24 rounds on tap :)

Limited would work with pretty much all alterations I would consider since I won't be using optics.

Limited would work with pretty much all alterations I would consider since I won't be using optics.

But your shooting against major pf. I guess it depends on your reason for shooting. I rather be in a division that I'm not in a disadvantage with my current gear. But I want to win lol.

2 minutes ago, TravisNC said:

Again, I would strongly recommend shooting a couple matches before mapping out the future of your pistol/rig.  

Yes, I agree Travis. I'm keeping track of future options like I've mentioned, but I'll plan to keep my gun and gear pretty stock to start with and just see how I do and how I feel as the year goes along.

My brief "how I decided" post... 

When I started I was lucky enough to hook up with a local club that did a new shooter orientation that included a table full of pistols from all divisions that everyone could try. So I got lots of instruction and trigger time with different guns to wet my appetite. Ultimately I started out in Production back in '03'ish because it had the lowest entry point cost wise. After shooting for a couple of years or so of Production I took the leap and bought a used Brazos Limited gun from a fellow BE'er and spent the next couple of years shooting Limited because 21 rounds in a mag made me happy. I sort of peaked in '08 winning my class at some level 2 and 3 matches and then walked away for a couple of reasons not related to the sport.

After not shooting a match in 8+ years, this spring I started dusting off my gear with plans to get after it again this year. Although, while I'll run some pistols, trying PCC is really what has rekindled my fire.

I've carried a full-size .45 1911 all my life; was even an instructor with issued M1911A1's in the Navy.  I'm addicted to shooting the 1911, and it is my gun of choice every chance I get.  I only shoot other guns when there is a match for which it is specifically unsuitable.

I first started shooting USPSA when there were three divisions: Open, Limited, and Revolver.  We guys with a basic 8-shot 1911 were using 10-round extended magazines, and that was most of what you saw in Limited in the local matches in the late 80's.  Then the Wondernines started taking over about the same time that 11 rounds made you evil, so we got Limited-10.  Now I shoot Single Stack.

For Multigun's Heavy Metal divisions, I'm back to Limited-10 with the same 1911 .45 pistol.

But yes, I have Glocks, XD(m)'s, revolvers, rimfires, and you name it, and they all get used for some match somewhere.  For example, the Pro-Am is three divisions: Open, Limited, and PCC; so I'll be using an Open and a Limited XD(m).  The weekend before it is the MS State Open Champs, so it'll be that XD(m) again.

• 1 month later...