Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Settling on a division... how did YOU decide?

Fatso

I started out in Lim10. Shooting a 1911 in .38 Super and then moved to a .45. Then I moved to Limited and shot a Brazos HPE in 40 for a moment. Then I moved to a 6" 40 and have been shooting it almost nonstop for 5 years in Limited and Lim10. Shot open for a little while, which is a lot of fun, but fell back on my trusty limited gun. Recently, I have dusted off my 1911 and started shooting SS. I love shooting SS, but I have a new limited gun calling my name. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still finding my way.  I'm most accurate with my 1911 in Single Stack.  I'm a bit faster in Production with my custom PX4, and I use my CX4 for PCC where I have my highest scores (because it's PCC).  I'll be running through a match with CO the first time tomorrow on a Glock 19 and I'm very used to/comfortable with shooting Glocks (but my G21 doesn't really have a home in any USPSA division).

This is a perfect topic for me.. hearing the rationale behind a choice or lack thereof 1- gives me hope 2- gives me ideas.

Having never shot competitively before, I've always fell into the whole "just likes guns" type thing.. So thanks fatso!  I needed to read something like this!! 

I shot a steel match with a rented Tactical Sports, fell in love and dreamt of getting a Czechmate, but I was too intimidated to step to the line at my first match with a $3,000 race gun so I bought a TS, shot Limited, and immediately started turning in to an Open gun!  Four years later I have over a dozen Open guns and I shoot my Czechmate every match :)

I started in production with a Glock for 1 season shooting local matches. Every course I said to myself man this would be really fun if I could start with full mags. Bought a 2011, switched into Limited, and never looked back. It's faster with more moving and shooting with less reloading. My sweet spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I moved....

No, really, that's what started it. 

I was content shooting Production, it was easy to get into, more affordable, and there was some excellent competition, and people that I practiced with. When I moved life changed, and suddenly my motivation, and desire changed. I was passionate about it because of all of those things, and when I had less time, and less of those benefits I switched things around a couple of times in the hopes that I'd recapture some of that, and that was a false premise on my part. 

I took some time off, and when I really started to miss it again, I took a chance on something a little new this winter, and frankly I'm more excited and passionate about the sport now than I've been since I moved.(Possibly as excited as I was when I picked up a gun and shot it for the first time in my life, which was not all that long ago...yeah, missed a lot of years!) I found my own motivation, and I don't need to to "borrow" from those other things. I can see the match video, and see how my skills have really deteriorated, and I'll have to put the time in to get back, and move beyond, but I'm finally excited to do it.

Others said it, switching to things can make for a fun afternoon, and if that's all you want, more power to you. I spent some time on that road. If you are competitive, if you want to push yourself to find out the limits of your skill, then stick with something until you are comfortable in knowing you have given it all you have. Only motivation that matters is what's right for you.

Edited by sundevil827

This is a perfect topic for me.. hearing the rationale behind a choice or lack thereof 1- gives me hope 2- gives me ideas.

Having never shot competitively before, I've always fell into the whole "just likes guns" type thing.. So thanks fatso!  I needed to read something like this!! 

You bet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/25/2017 at 1:42 PM, Fatso said:

What other people are thinking: Ugh, there goes that 1911 guy. I’m so tired of hearing about John Moses Browning from him. I bet he carries a freakin’ Glock.

Actually... I do indeed carry a Glock!

I carry a cz or 1911, but I pretty much never talk about JMB. I shoot SS just because I enjoy it. I enjoy handling and shooting and looking at 1911's, and I like that they are actually practical, carryable weapons. In local matches I just compete for the overall, and if someone in open only beats me by 2%, then we both know who really shot better.

I carry a cz or 1911, but I pretty much never talk about JMB. I shoot SS just because I enjoy it. I enjoy handling and shooting and looking at 1911's, and I like that they are actually practical, carryable weapons. In local matches I just compete for the overall, and if someone in open only beats me by 2%, then we both know who really shot better.

You make an incredible point. An excellent SS shooter curb-stomping a bunch of Open shooters really makes a statement & shows a real mastery of the whole action pistol package. Shooting, movement, and by god.. RELOAD planning & execution.

I love shooting SS, but plateaued at a fairly mediocre level (undoubtedly due to limited practice). SS requires a whole lot of discipline, and a well honed ability to correctly execute a post walk through game plan. I may return when life settles down.

For now, Open seems a bit simpler, and a bit more forgiving to a guy like me!! Plan my reload (singular) and go! Plus, the equipment is just plain wicked!

When I got into the game.. I had little choice... Open or Limited..  I started shooting limited with a colt combat commander with 10 round mags.. upgraded to a brand mew customized Spring Field Mil-Spec... still shooting those 10 rd mags... eventually got nice used P-14... Basically what you want to do is find a gun you can shoot comfortabaly and well, find a division you like.. sounds like you have the gear for limited... go with the STI.. get some more match experience... then you can just switch it up when you want.. seems like L10 - SS and possibly Prod  will help you keep things fresh..... 

I wanted to shoot a single action pistol when I first started competing last May. So, for me it has been Limited. I do have a CZ SP-01 being Cajunized to shoot production later on in the year once the mag limits in CA take effect. I will shoot Limited out of State and Production at home.

I wanted to shoot a single action pistol when I first started competing last May. So, for me it has been Limited. I do have a CZ SP-01 being Cajunized to shoot production later on in the year once the mag limits in CA take effect. I will shoot Limited out of State and Production at home.

Half the GMs I know shoot that gun in Prod.

It's a sweet beast!

I started in production. Was shooting club steel fun practices. Got talked into trying uspsa. Shot production last year (1st year) and NEED to shoot with reading glasses to see the sights.  but past 10 yds i can only see brown wearing readers as i need seeing specs.

Switched to CO so i can see the target. I doubt it will magically transform me out of the unwashed masses.   finding the dot is however getting easier.

The change in mag capacity from 10 to 23 is interesting.

I started in Limited a long time back since I had most of my trigger time with a G22 with range/class time.  I added basepads and shot that until I realized I wasnt going to slow down shooting USPSA and I was was placing in the top 10 in all the matches.  I started splitting time in Limited with the G22 and Single Stack.  After 6 months I decided to chase Limited only and sold 2 of my 1911s to fund building a custom STI 2011.  I shot that for the last 3-4 years on and off as work/life permitted and in the last few months decided to shift to Open.  Finishing up my open gun build and will be concentrating on it for the next year with my goal of shooting a couple big matches. 

I started in production. Was shooting club steel fun practices. Got talked into trying uspsa. Shot production last year (1st year) and NEED to shoot with reading glasses to see the sights.  but past 10 yds i can only see brown wearing readers as i need seeing specs.

Switched to CO so i can see the target. I doubt it will magically transform me out of the unwashed masses.   finding the dot is however getting easier.

The change in mag capacity from 10 to 23 is interesting.

Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for open!

I started in Limited a long time back since I had most of my trigger time with a G22 with range/class time.  I added basepads and shot that until I realized I wasnt going to slow down shooting USPSA and I was was placing in the top 10 in all the matches.  I started splitting time in Limited with the G22 and Single Stack.  After 6 months I decided to chase Limited only and sold 2 of my 1911s to fund building a custom STI 2011.  I shot that for the last 3-4 years on and off as work/life permitted and in the last few months decided to shift to Open.  Finishing up my open gun build and will be concentrating on it for the next year with my goal of shooting a couple big matches. 

This is pretty much my story. I shot a G22 for a few matches... a G35 for a couple years, and SS for two more... now I'm gonna try open!

12 hours ago, Fatso said:

This is pretty much my story. I shot a G22 for a few matches... a G35 for a couple years, and SS for two more... now I'm gonna try open!

I always wanted to shoot open, but I don't reload ammo, nor have plans to.  With the lack of "factory" option major loads I kept at Limited for the longest time.  Now that we have a few options I decided to jump in.  Plus I always loved the speed of Open, both in shooting and movement.  

I shot what I had for many years.  That meant production with a Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm that I still carry today) and an "upgrade" to a total POS off-brand 1911 45ACP and used it in L-10 because I already had a few 10 round mags for it. 

I always encourage people to shoot what they have, or whatever they want.  No real reason to ague that one division is better than the next.

Now... OPEN on the other hand.  Well, that's just COOL.  I look soooo cool with my Ferrari.  hahaha!   Seriously though.  I just like all the gadgets.  

I shot what I had for many years.  That meant production with a Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm that I still carry today) and an "upgrade" to a total POS off-brand 1911 45ACP and used it in L-10 because I already had a few 10 round mags for it. 

I always encourage people to shoot what they have, or whatever they want.  No real reason to ague that one division is better than the next.

Now... OPEN on the other hand.  Well, that's just COOL.  I look soooo cool with my Ferrari.  hahaha!   Seriously though.  I just like all the gadgets.  

USPSA with a subcompact! There should be a -10 second feat of strength bonus for such things!!

56 minutes ago, Fatso said:

USPSA with a subcompact! There should be a -10 second feat of strength bonus for such things!!

I completely agree... I'm shooting a 3" XD 9mm... They tell me I'm not doing bad with a "Derringer" we will see next weekend at my next match if I can keep it up

Started the adventure in Limited, and still there. Got a long way to go, too. While reloads are very important to practice, I prefer to spend my time shooting. I can see the sights, so I use them and figure that will certainly help in a real world scenario, God forbid.

Started the adventure in Limited, and still there. Got a long way to go, too. While reloads are very important to practice, I prefer to spend my time shooting. I can see the sights, so I use them and figure that will certainly help in a real world scenario, God forbid.

Well, I'd like to think most of us USPSA shooters could out shoot even the above-average thug, but here's the thing--reload practice is free.

When I took up SS, reloads became critical. So I walked around the house in my gun belt with empty mags & a dry gun. I practiced reloads every day (almost) for about a year. Didn't cost me a penny!