Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extending Mossberg 930 JM Pro to 16

NicVerAZ

What option exists on the market to add +6 to the existing magazine?

Also would there be a danger related to shot spreading too early and hitting the extension and, if yes, what remedy would exist or choke to avoid?

Thanks for your help

Think OP is wanting to add on to the factory 9/10 round tube for a total of 16 or so...

I think it's safe to say the most folk use a Nordic extension. Do some searching for "Thai tubes" that were moderately popular a while back and you will find 20+ round tubes, etc. It's not that you can't do it, just that most don't anymore.

Not a safety concern as you phrase it. Pattern does not open that quickly.

Here is the Nordic ext at Shooter's Connection.. 

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Nordic-MXT-Shotgun-Magazine-Extension-Kit-12ga-P4221.aspx

I shot a Benelli M1 with a 18.5" barrel and a 7 round extension (10 round tube total) for two years without any issues of shot hitting the 10 tube extension.   I have seen some REALLY long open class tubes welded together.    

I suggest using a 10 round total or 12 round total tube.  This will give you either a "Two-Load" (10 tube) or a "quad-load" (12 tube) off the start signal.   I have always preferred the 10 tube for safer maneuvering and "throwing" in the dump barrel.  I have seen some long tubes bounce out of the dump barrels with excited shooters. (One on the second stage of the KY State Wildcat 3gun Match... with initials TJH :) )

I am going to use it in Open, because I have decided that I wanted to make this fun and not challenging.

I already shoot production and am already doing the "reloading a lot" thing in USPSA. For 3Gun, I am switching to sticks and 16 shells in the tube :)

5 minutes ago, NicVerAZ said:

I am going to use it in Open, because I have decided that I wanted to make this fun and not challenging.

I already shoot production and am already doing the "reloading a lot" thing in USPSA. For 3Gun, I am switching to sticks and 16 shells in the tube :)

You can still run it with a 12-13 round tube and use the speedloaders/sticks. Shorter makes it a little easier to get around a stage and helps keep it from falling out of dump barrels/buckets. For some insight, Jerry M is someone that I would consider pretty solid in Open/Unlimited 3Gun. He is still running a tube gun and speed loaders. Guessing his tube is around 10-13 rounds in length...