Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Painted bullet test

B_RAD

What do you see?

Pass or fail?

IMG_3375.PNG

Couple of things. Looking at a zoomed in, it looks like the case mouth isn't even all the way around. (range pick up). 

On the waiting list to get barrel reamed!

Shooting tonight I had a light strike in SA.  I'm using Sellor & Bellot primers. 12# PD hammer spring.  Titan/bolo/PD opt FP.  No FPB in gun  

I did not plunk before shooting. This test was done after.   It did plunk and spin after the light strike. 

From the looks it has to be hitting the rifling, right?

Edited by B_RAD

Here's a pic of the light (single action) strike. 

IMG_3376.PNGOff center and really light dimple.  

So, no I'm not crushing the primers when seating.  

Wouldn't this mean this round wasn't fully chambered?

Edited by B_RAD

5 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

How many times was that case run over by a truck before you tried to load it.

I've seen hookers with less beat vag than that case. Sheesh

"Shit'll buff out!"  -Joe Dirté

Yeah. Gotta love bulk range pickup brass!

Edited by B_RAD

37 minutes ago, superluckycat said:

S&B primers and 12# hammer spring?  I think more light strikes are in your future.

Actually out of 500 rnds that's the first in SA.  I've had maybe 5 in DA.  

42 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Actually out of 500 rnds that's the first in SA.  I've had maybe 5 in DA.  

Ream the chamber. Use PD firing pin, polish the firing pin channel. Verify primer depth 0.005-0.008" and 12# should work 100%. But it will be on the edge,  imho.  I'd increase the spring to 13 or 14 as insurance. The "cost" is about 4 oz DA 1oz SA for each step up over the 12 spring.  The reduction in worry is worth the increase in trigger force  (for me).

Yesterday, my son and i shot a total of over 700 rnds out of 2 guns at 30F. No special cold weather prep.  Zero failures. Both guns run PD 14 springs. His ammo was S&B and Wolf primers and mine was winchester. We were doing steel practice so every 5-6th round was DA or 100+ DA shots wo fail.

Yeah. I put the 13# HS in last night. I also put the stock return spring back in so the DA pull went up about a full pound to right at 6#. I want a more positive return. 

Waiting to get the barrel reamed. I'm holding off making anymore changes until that's done. 

When I measure the primer depth I'm getting .005"-.008".  

I think getting the barrel reamed will solve my light strike problems! 

I use a cleaning rod with a length of wrapped cloth slathered with compound.  I use a tight wad of cloth that has to wind tighter while in use to fit.  Then slowly pudh in pull out while spinning with a drill, not dremmel.   note! Remove the extractor first. It goes into the FP channel and can catch.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:09 AM, superluckycat said:

S&B primers and 12# hammer spring?  I think more light strikes are in your future.

I'd agree. I grabbed a box of S&B for a match when I had my #12 spring in and had a terrible time with it. I'm also at #13 waiting to get chamber reamed. Not a big difference to be honest. 

Edited by hav3n