Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner - looking for a good chronograph

I'm getting into reloading 9mm subsonics and eventually will transition into 300blk subs as well as 308.

Going to be doing some testing to get the quietest/lowest recoil rounds and figured I should pickup a chrono before I load up thousands of rounds.

There seams to be many choices and a wide spectrum of price ranges. Some quick research I see people are liking the Caldwell Precision Chronograph G2. Should I go ahead with this guy, can anyone else recommend anything? Will be using it outdoors in sunny weather.

Also is there any good videos/threads/articles on what exactly I should be looking for on the chronograph data when shooting my reloads? Might be caliber specific but at least can send me in the right direction. Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, alotur said:

Do you have any exp with Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Mount Chronograph?

No XP with this...when i load for LRS i don't like the idea of having something clamped to my barrel during testing (or ever FTM)

Pro Chrono Digital for the win!

No tripod, no problem. Just place it on top of a barrel, stool, stump, etc. and get to checking your ammo.

The tripod under that LabRadar probably cost as much as the Pro Chrono Digital.

Pro chrono it relativity inexpensive,simple to use and has all the info you need. Another advantage is there sold everywhere so when someone isn't paying attention and shoots a low round it's easily replaceable!

5 hours ago, bsand said:

Got me one of those too. I need me a tripod tho, I originally bought it for my PRS guns, but got into pistols and such too.

Nothing but good things to say!

One of my other hobbies is photography so did have a fiberglass tripod. I did buy a cheap tripod head with a detachable plate for it though.

I've got an Oehler 35P also - which was the gold standard for many years - little more set up involved than with the Pro Chrono so use it (Pro) mostly unless I'm going to chrono a lot of loads and the print out is handy to keep track of different loads.

http://www.oehler-research.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=35P

I would recommend that you spend the money and get a LabRadar unit. The old saying “ You get what you pay for” definitely applies when buying a chronograph. I have owned and used many different makes and models in the last 30 plus years. Ranging form the cheap all in one units to top of the line Pact that served me will of over 15 years. After I got my LabRadar unit last year, I would never go back to a using any chronograph that used optical screens. My LabRadar unit is very simple to setup and use and works in conditions that it would be impossible to use any of the other optical units I have owned of used. I no longer have to be concerned about clouds, wind or the position of the sun. Testing loads is now a pleasurable experience, not an exercise in patience waiting for all the conditions to be just right.