Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recoil spring weight for faster double taps 2011/1911 platform

jimbullet

A quick question as I am trying to spring a new pistol. My double taps appear to have the second shot always landing higher on the target with 2 inches to as much as 6 inches upward on a 7 yard target.  My question is does this exhibit the need for a heavier recoil spring to make the muzzle go down faster back to point of aim?

Doing a bill drill I can see a vertical upward spread.

Using a 13 lb variable recoil spring on a 40 cal 2011 pistol. Will using a heavier spring work wonders?

1 hour ago, Racinready300ex said:

You probably need a better grip, not a different spring.

THIS^^^^^^

I'd put a 12 lb spring in and work on your grip and getting 2 'acceptable' sight pictures.  You can't buy practice.

The "double tap" is a myth.

When you listen to a pro shooter fire two rounds bangbang... you realize that you are seeing them fire two SIGHTED shots, right?

Dont break shot #2 until the front sight has returned to the notch. All of your rounds should be aimed. 

Grip harder. Much harder. Especially with the weak hand - that needs to crush the gun. Heavily. It'll preload your wrists and forearms to snap the gun back down like really tight springs, and won't let the gun flip as much in the first place.

(The lighter you spring the gun, the harder you need to grip it in order for it to function reliably, anyway)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2017 at 6:47 AM, Racinready300ex said:

You probably need a better grip, not a different spring.

On 1/24/2017 at 6:49 AM, ArmyADub1 said:

Two sight pictures will do  more for your shooting than guessing what spring will let you engage the trigger as fast as possible

As a bonus, aiming every shot (getting a sight picture for each) will help you develop a better grip. Instead of just guessing where the 2nd shot is going, you can learn how to grip the gun so it settles enough for you to aim the 2nd shot more quicklier.

Yes---you want to see two sight pictures.  One for each shot.

and

Yes---you want to tune the recoil spring to your gun/grip/ammo etc.

You are not tuning so you can slam an un-aimed second shot, you are tuning

so the gun returns out of recoil to the first shot aim point.  Not above it so you have

to force the gun down for a second aimed shot, and not below it so you have to raise the

gun up for a second aimed shot.

Doing a quick double is one way of determining if you need a lighter or heavier spring, watching where

the sights settle after the first shot is another method.  

• 2 weeks later...