Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 MAGS FOR SELF DEFENSE?

BLT

Can 2011 type mags hold up for personal defense use? I really like the new 2011 type pistols, loaded with upgrades, that come from the factory. These upgrades, rail (to attach a weapon light), mounts for a optic, threaded barrel and suppressor height sights, make them perfect to carry for self defense. However, will the springs hold up being left loaded for days and days at a time? 

As I understand it springs dont wear out so much from being kept at capacity for periods of time as they do from repeated compression and release. Something to be looking out for on a mag that's kept loaded to capacity for long periods is feed lip deformation. I had Sig factory magazines that I kept loaded (using for monthly training as well) for 9 years in a duty gun and never experienced issues with reliability. I would probably not go that long again- and it sounds ridiculous even reading that now- but the mags never lost tension and I never had any issue that cause me to need to change them. That gun and those mags probably saw the amount of rounds fired in 9 years as my competition gun does in 3 months.. but at that time I had not yet discovered this world! Anyway, because they didn't get compressed and released constantly they have lasted a crazy long time.

Regarding feed lips it would seem that's a problem some people have found with sti mags- esp 9mm. I went with MBX mags and others go with svi mags and my understanding is that partly this is due to a little stronger/thicker metal that will prevent feed lip deformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the information and advice gentlemen. I was thinking about tricking out a Glock 19 but decided not too. I figured if I put between $2-4,000 in a tricked out carry gun it should be a 1911. Nothing against Glock but I really like and enjoy the single and double stack 1911s. STI, Dan Wesson, Nighthawk and Wilson have a few models that look nice. I own an STI Edge for Limited and LOVE shooting it. Too bad my department will not let me carry a 2011 on shift because I would in a heart beat.

If I do end up buying one finding a holster that allows a light and optic should completely suck...LOL!

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2017 at 5:49 AM, dansedgli said:

My holster is for a STI tactical but it fits my full railed SVI and X300 no worries. It even fits my glock 17 well.

They'd all be pretty similar with the light attached I think.

holster.JPG

what brand / model holster is that?

On 1/24/2017 at 9:30 PM, BLT said:

Thanks for the information and advice gentlemen. I was thinking about tricking out a Glock 19 but decided not too. I figured if I put between $2-4,000 in a tricked out carry gun...

$2-4,000 into a G19 for carry?

That thing would have been doomed! :D 

One thing USPSA will teach you is that Glocks work and work as long as you stick with $100 worth of springs and polishing like Productions GMs tend to prefer. 

The ones that choke all the time always seem to be the ones heavily modified for Limited division. With roughly $2,000 + of slide lightening and unobtanium parts.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Glock = reliable

Tricked out glock = not what I want my life to depend on

We shot medium high round count class this weekend

1 duty glock no jams

1 cz checkmate no jams

1 stock edge 2 jams possible limp wrist

2 near stock sti no jams

1 open sti(?) Gun no jams

2 highly modified glocks, 1 barely identifiable as glock, both had numerous jams, light strikes & feed issues.

Take from that what you want.  Spend big bucks & take one of the most reliable guns & add money to make it less reliable in many cases.  

• 6 months later...

I agree with the highly modified GLOCK comments. However, once you purchase a G19 MOS and put an RMR, suppressor height night sights, threaded barrel, X300U, Zev mag well, Zev mag +5 basepad, extended slide release, Zev or other flat trigger and stipple job you are getting close to $2000. 

To the OP's, I just fired off 2 mags of 40 in my 2011 Eagle 6". STI factory tubes, Dawson spring and followers and dawson SNL pads, been loaded with 20 rounds  in my bag for 7 years.
Ran like a top.  These tend to be 20 +1, 19 reloadable.. IIRC.. seems like I only loaded 19 in my reload mag.

wow shady that is one awesome-looking gun!

i just found out that blade-tech makes their nano IWB holster to fit a bunch of STI 2011's, including my 4" tactical 2011!

and to the OP, shoot your guns and mags in uspsa, idpa etc and see how they work.  if they work there, i'd be trusting them for cc and hd.