Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reseating primers on loaded cartridges?

bsand

Well I've been measuring some reloads primer seating depth. They are all 0.000"-0.0025" below flush, which I think is causing my shadow to fully seat on SA then firing on DA.

I have about 400 rounds left would it be OK to reseat the primers using a hand priming tool?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I would never do it! I have had one or two (Federal) primers ignite in a hand priming tool over the years. No big deal, then, just a pop. Now imagine if that primer was in a loaded cartridge just a foot or so from your face when it ignited. It would be a grenade!

It's not worth the risk. Just dump those loads in the practice bucket.

not only no, HELLLLL NO! and before a few guys drop in and say theyve done it for years, dont. just had this come up on another site a few months ago, and the individual reseating primers did serious damage to his hands when he set off a primer. even there, a few guys had to jump in and say that they had done it for decades, so it must be safe. if you try seating primers deeper on loaded ammo, you have absolutely no business reloading, as you are a danger to yourself.

"With the blast shield down, I can't even see.  How am I supposed to operate the reloading press?"

Imagine what will happen if one of those primers ignites while you're seating it deeper.  It's practice ammo, or pull them all apart, and then reseat the primers and reassemble.

NO NO NO!

You can set off a primer while seating, and if you ignite a cartridge inside a die, which is NOT designed to handles tens of thousands of internal pressure, the die might blow, and you might die.

Edited by IDescribe

Obviously the firing pin is not hitting the primer with the same force that it is in the other firearms mentioned.  Check into what you might need to do to your shadow to increase the firing pin strike.

Edited by Steve RA
wrong letter in one word.

Best bet is to buy a Glock to unload all those out of spec cartriges :)  I definitely don't envy you, if you decide disassemble those rounds with a kinetic puller.  You'd have more fun with the Glock and you could (honestly) tell Mrs. Bsands that it was a necessary 'tool' not 'another' firearms purchase :D

Definitely practice ammo for you and your buddies striker fired pistols. I don't know how much trouble it's worth to you to fire them from your Shadow, but a heavier hammer spring might do the trick.

I just have two pull the trigger twice, they always fire.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Try double seating the primer when you install it. The primer will absorb energy from the firing pin/striker seating the primer to the bottom in the pocket before it goes bang. They should be .008-.010" below the flush. It's done (double seating the primer) all the time in revo world. I use Fed SPP.