Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reseating primers on loaded cartridges?

bsand

The only problem you may have is that rifle primers generally have a tougher/thicker primer cup than pistol primers so you would make your current problem even worse.  If you can improve the striking force of the firing pin - one way or another - then the rifle primers will work well.

I only use rifle primers, but, only have 1911s which generally have no problem igniting anything.

The thing is, it's not that they are light strikes. There's a full dent in the primer then the second hit ignites it. Which really lead me to believe that I should sort by headstamps.

It.could also be a worn-out primer arm, as the press is almost as old as me lol. I should be loading up.some test rounds this weekend. I'll even try uniforming primer pockets and see if that solves the issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I had a couple bad batches of Winchester primers over the last few years which caused my 650 to act up and my primers were not seating as consistently. It seems to me the CCI and Federal primers are easier to seat. I have had no issues since switching. 

Out of curiosity, where is all of the danger coming from in setting a primer deeper with a hand primer? Assuming I am wearing eye protection, and not pointing the loaded round towards my face, what is the mode of failure that is going to cause me catastrophic injury? If the primer detonates, the powder will ignite. The bullet will only be under pressure until it leaves the case and likely won't have enough energy to cause any problems. The gas is being directed away from the case (pointed away from the human), and there isn't going to be enough pressure when the cartridge ignites to rupture the case before the bullet is gone and the pressure drops. I can possibly see some burns from the powder, but with the design of a hand primer like the RCBS universal hand primer that seems unlikely.

I'm not advocating doing it, I just genuinely want to know what mode of failure is going to cause harm.

Edit - Nevermind. Case rupture = bad. Wouldn't want this anywhere near my hand.

Edited by JRM83

i will re-seat primers that are too high in my press all the time.

as you all know, there is an inertia component to getting the primer to go off, otherwise we wouldn't have light strikes or even be able to load them. think about how many sideways, smeared and mashed primers you've seen or done yourself? and none of them went off. because you were going slow.

so yes, if you go slow you can do it all you want. i have done probably over 100 in the past 3 years.

Edited by rowdyb

Have a 450B which I have converted to a 550B with the auto primer feeder and the auto powder feeder. Had an issue of the primers not seating all the way, High primer. Got a shim plate from Dillion and set it under the primer feeder also brought the shell plate down just a little and brought the sizing primer die down a bit. Problem went away. If the cartiage is complete I will not try to reseat the primer. IMVHO, that is just asking for Murphy's Law to rise it's ugly head. You can call Dillion and explain your problem and they can walk you through it to help fix your problem.

Thanks

Mike

Have a 450B which I have converted to a 550B with the auto primer feeder and the auto powder feeder. Had an issue of the primers not seating all the way, High primer. Got a shim plate from Dillion and set it under the primer feeder also brought the shell plate down just a little and brought the sizing primer die down a bit. Problem went away. If the cartiage is complete I will not try to reseat the primer. IMVHO, that is just asking for Murphy's Law to rise it's ugly head. You can call Dillion and explain your problem and they can walk you through it to help fix your problem.
Thanks
Mike

I have had zero issues with federal small pistol primers. Every single one went bang. I also started to double seat primers zero issues since.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I had a problem similar to  this once. The cause was the bolts connecting the Strong Mount to the bench had wiggled  just the teensiest bit loose, and this was causing just slightly high primers. I tightened the Strong Mount bolts, bang, no more high primers.

This discovery made me paranoid, and I did some checking. The bolts connecting to the Strong Mount can wiggle loose. Guess what, the die lock rings can also wiggle loose. Checking and tightening if necessary all these bolts and die lock rings is part of my pre-loading ritual now.

• 2 weeks later...