Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire and Beretta 92

MemphisMechanic

I have a friend who is a police officer and who carries a Beretta 92 in 9mm. Will extensive dryfire hurt the firing pin or any other component in a Beretta?

Most guns are very tolerant of extensive dryfire, but I'm not a Beretta guy and thought I'd ask before I got them into dry practice in order to improve.

When I dry-fired my SP-01 or dry-fry my Wilson Combat Beretta Brigadier I put a small circular rubber washer in the channel where the hammer falls (you can squeeze the circular washer into the channel). That way the hammer does not hit the firing pin.

The only other consideration is dry-firing all the time using DA. It could lead to training habits that are annoying when live-firing (DA followed by SA).

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, PatrickDoyle said:

I have dry fired this weapon system, tens of thousands of reps in last few months.  No issues at all.

Pat Doyle in the house! 

^^ Good advice from a professional! 

• 5 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, Less said:

Pat Doyle in the house! 

^^ Good advice from a professional! 

Les Kismartoni in da house!

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/shooting-team/les-kismartoni/

that Pat guy is no slouch either:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/pat-doyle/

The pros be all up in here.

:-P

Just an FYI... a Beretta "D" spring may make all that dry firing for our OP easier on his trigger finger/forearm.

I wish I could tell you one way or the other about the longevity of Beretta parts via dry firing, but I like never dry fire...and hardly ever practice any more.  :-(

• 2 years later...

Both issues I have heard regarding dry firing the B92 have been mentioned above, but need slightly more development.  Early B92 trigger return springs broke a lot.   Beretta and Wilson Combat have come up with better trigger return springs, and nobody seems to be breaking them anymore.  Wolff Springs quite awhile ago came up with a module to replace the trigger return spring for the Border Patrol.   Wilson Combat also resells the same module.   The module is much more expensive than an upgraded spring, but it is a lot easier to install than the upgraded spring.  Some people complain about the Wolff module giving the trigger pull a slightly gritty quality, but I don't feel it.  For pistols that  I shoot a lot, I have the Wolff modules in.  

Mention was made above about B92 firing pins breaking with extensive dry firing.  This has happened to friends, but the pistol continued to fire normally, and the broken  firing pin was found much later during a rebuild.  

• 3 months later...

The ONLY handgun I had a problem with was a Charter Arms "Bulldog" in .44. Its indestructible "copper beryllium" firing pin shot itself at my TV screen.  It took over a year for Charter to send me one. 

I've dry fired my Beretta pistols a lot and never had an issue. 

• 5 months later...

I did some dry firing without snap cap with my B92FS and after a few thousand cycles, the trigger return spring failed. I had it replaced and tried using the handgun at the firing range. The cartridges did not fire and when inspected had no firing pin dent on the primer. It turned out the firing pin is also broke.

• 2 months later...