Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started in uspsa, gear?

Dafeist

Going to my first match soon and was wondering what gear I should bring, ammo amount, number of mags, mag holders, etc.  I know I'll learn a lot from just being there but am looking for just the standard of what I'll need to shoot it.  Shooting a 1911 45 that I put together with reloads that make major pf.  Figure I will be shooting single stack.  Gun makes the weight and size requirements. Thanks for any insight. 

When I shout SS I like to have 6 mags on the belt + the 1 in the gun. I carry a few spares in my bag as well. I like the DAA Racer single stack pouches. I also use a blade tech holster on the BOSS hanger. Ammo amount depends on the round count of the match. 

Don't gear up too hard quite yet. As long as you have a safe holster and some mag pouches just go and shoot. Look at what other people are using and ask them about their gear. 

Edited by js1130146

7 hours ago, Dafeist said:

Going to my first match

Ear/eye protection.   Hat.   Comfortable shoes/boots.   Liquid & food.    Sunscreen or warm clothes?  (Not sure where you are).

Tell the RO / MD you're brand new and LISTEN.

Good attitude - help paste and set steel.

SAFETY - go little slower than normal (very difficult to go more slowly when you'll be watching people going Very Faaasssssttttttt ...

Depending on the range, you might bring a folding chair or bucket.    Range bag - spare parts - cleaning supplies - bandaids.

HAVE A BLAST !!!!   :) 

yeah just bring what you already have for your first match.  they'll work with you to make it work for you.  see what gear others are using and how it works for them and use that as a basis for what may work for you.  safety is Job #1.  finger outside trigger guard unless you're actually shooting at targets (ie finger outside while reloading, fixing a jam, etc) and muzzle always pointed downrange.  at each stage tell them you're new and they will let you go last so you can see what and how everyone is doing.  good luck and have fun!  oh and yeah, don't forget your front sight!

1 hour ago, davsco said:

yeah just bring what you already have for your first match.  they'll work with you to make it work for you.  see what gear others are using and how it works for them and use that as a basis for what may work for you.  safety is Job #1.  finger outside trigger guard unless you're actually shooting at targets (ie finger outside while reloading, fixing a jam, etc) and muzzle always pointed downrange.  at each stage tell them you're new and they will let you go last so you can see what and how everyone is doing.  good luck and have fun!  oh and yeah, don't forget your front sight!

+1. Let the match director know you are new and they will work with you and just about everything. If your local club is like mine, there will be people who will have some extra gear you can borrow. I started with a Glock 22, an uncle mikes holster, and 2 double mag pouches. 

The 2 most important things are 1. Be Safe. Not only for yourself but for everyone around you. 2. Have fun and enjoy the experience.

Know where the safe areas are. Do not touch your gun except in the allowed area.

You cannot handle ammo in the safe area.

Get on a squad with helpful, experienced shooter(s).

Do not break the 180. Keep muzzle direction in mind at all times. If a stage requires sideways or retrograde movement make sure that you know how to carry you pistol so that the muzzle does not break 180.

If you have to open a door or port--likewise know how to handle your pistol so that you do not sweep yourself.

Help police brass and/or paste targets.

generally, at a Level 1 match, when your squad is done, you pickup brass while the next squad is walking the stage, for a few minutes. At Level 2 and above, generally no brassing. Don't be concerned about lost brass, that's how it seeds....

• 4 weeks later...

Don't get too wrapped up in the game that you can't pay attention to the other shooters. Watch what the "experienced" guys do and take your time. DON'T try and rush or do anything too fast, that's what causes you to stress out and not have a good time or become dangerous to yourself or others. Find someone that looks more "grizzled"  and experienced to act as your mentor for the day, most of the older guys are more than willing to help you.