Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger 10-22 trigger job

JD45

I have a 10-22 that's used mainly for fun and hunting, and I want a lighter trigger pull on it. It's stupid that Ruger sells them with such horrible triggers.

I can do a decent trigger job on 1911's and most bolt action rifles. So, do you think its worth a try to fix it myself or should I just buy a Kidd trigger or something?

Personally, I've had good luck with just replacing the hammer with a Volquartsen.  That dropped the trigger pull to ~2.5 lbs and made it a lot more crisp.  You can certainly spend a lot more money for even better results but the hammer is a really good bang for your buck.

trigger jobs arent difficult to do on one, but for the time and effort a volquartsen or power custom hammer gets you most of the way there. if oyu like really nice triggers, buy a Kidd. buffer pins arent a necessity, but they are a minor improvement in the clank clank clank of the bolt cycling.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a Ruger BX Trigger into a 10/22 recently. It dropped the 5.5 pound factory trigger pull down to 2 pounds 7 ounces, with very little take up, no creep, and a fast reset. I have no complaints.

On 2/16/2017 at 0:36 PM, GOF said:

I put a Ruger BX Trigger into a 10/22 recently. It dropped the 5.5 pound factory trigger pull down to 2 pounds 7 ounces, with very little take up, no creep, and a fast reset. I have no complaints.

Anything is better than the factory trigger. That doesn't mean the BX-25 is the best bang for your buck. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The culprit of heavy 10-22 factory trigger pull is the hammer, or more specifically the geometry of the hooks. The hooks are way to tall and the angle to the sear face is way to negative. I do 10-22 triggers with factory parts to a crisp 2.25lbs just by adjusting hammer hook height and correcting sear engagement angle to a slight negative engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Brimstone trigger jobs are way cheaper than I expected. Might need to get one, the Tier 2 seems like a great setup. 

Get the top of the line one. You will love it. I've had them do two triggers and I'm extremely pleased with them.

Get the top of the line one. You will love it. I've had them do two triggers and I'm extremely pleased with them.

Based on their videos the only difference between a 1 and 2 is whether it has pre travel or not. I don't mind a little pre-travel to the wall.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk