Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 grain in Limited......

MikieM

We had a match today and I used a new load (new for me). It was a 115 gr. PD/JHP bullet on top of 4.8 grs. of WAC in a WW once-fired case, with a CCI Small Pistol primer. PF (on paper) is 128.

It was a sweetheart! Very mild recoil (I'm shooting a 9mm Edge), and very accurate.

Does anyone else have any experience with this combination?

Mike.

I agree with jack. Go with a faster powder. WAC is designed for guns with comps. Faster powders like titegroup, w231, n320, clays, etc will produce less snap. Bullet weight is preference but most people I know use heavier bullets unless they are shooting open or steel challenge. The heavier bullets require a smaller charge which produces softer recoil.

1 hour ago, Bullets said:

I agree with jack. Go with a faster powder. WAC is designed for guns with comps. Faster powders like titegroup, w231, n320, clays, etc will produce less snap. Bullet weight is preference but most people I know use heavier bullets unless they are shooting open or steel challenge. The heavier bullets require a smaller charge which produces softer recoil.

I have done that, and that was really the point of this post. There is no 'snap' to the recoil.

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't have any experience with that load, but when you get a chance, you

might want to try a heavier bullet with a faster powder - and bump up your PF

especially if you ever shoot any Major Matches (usually run 132 - 140 PF).    :) 

Why would I need to increase power factor if 128 is sufficient?

19 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Why would I increase p f if 128 is sufficient?

1. Variation in rounds - when you chrono'd the load, you must have noticed that not all rounds were PF 128 - there was a range - some must have been below 125.

2.  Variation in temperature - cold and hot days will affect your velocity and PF

3.  Variation from chrono to chrono - YOUR chrono may be a slight bit different than the chrono at the chrono station.

4.  PF 135 - 140 will knock down steel much more reliably, and you won't feel the difference in recoil/time.   :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1. Variation in rounds - when you chrono'd the load, you must have noticed that not all rounds were PF 128 - there was a range - some must have been below 125.

2.  Variation in temperature - cold and hot days will affect your velocity and PF

3.  Variation from chrono to chrono - YOUR chrono may be a slight bit different than the chrono at the chrono station.

4.  PF 135 - 140 will knock down steel much more reliably, and you won't feel the difference in recoil/time.   :) 

Good points.

10 hours ago, Garmil said:

I like to stay around the 128 mark as well. I can feel the difference between that and 140 easily.  If your sd is low there is no reason to go way above the minimum power factor.

128 is too close for comfort. Why stress about it. Aim for low 130s. You won't feel a difference with the right load and you won't have to worry about chrono time

8 hours ago, Garmil said:

I'm comfortable at 128 and don't stress about it.  whatever works. the chrono rules are pretty lenient and to fail your average wasn't close to 125. 

This is correct. Although Jack made good points, none of them are etched in stone.

A power factor cushion is unrealistic. If I could shoot 125, I would. Why stress, as Garmil says, over fears that your chrono is slow, or the one at the match is fast, or whether it's a hot day, or a cold day. If you participated in regional, or national matches I could see it, but locally; it isn't that big of a deal. Also, baseline pf loads should always knock down steel. If they don't then have a talk with the Match Director.