Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Lower Help

ShooterSmallz

Hope somebody can help me!!! I have a hellfire lower and when installing the bolt catch I forgot to put in the spring and detent before I put the pin in, the hellfires don't have a hole on the other side so I can't just punch the pin out the other side, any ideas on how to get the roll pin out so I can fix? Or will gun still work and shoot fine without them? Super mad right now so any advice appreciated!

Just looked at the Hellfire website.

It does not use a roll pin to hold in the bolt catch.  Your lower should have come with a pin that has threads.  If you put in a roll pin, you might have some luck with an "easy out" tool.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I'm not sure that will work Eric.  To get clearance for the drill chuck, he will need to use at least a 6" long bit.  If he can find one that small and that long it will be prone to breaking.

Also, the area in front of the bolt catch is not recessed so he will be drilling all the way to the front of the magwell.

If the easy out will not work, he may be forced to cut up the mag catch so he can grab the pin and force it out the way it went in.  Cutting up the mag catch will be a real B***** so if there are better ideas, I'm sure the OP is willing to give them a try.

Hellfire Lower.png

How tight is the pin (was it driven in with a punch)?

Is there any space between the mag catch in the frame where you make contact with the pin.

A long shot, but can you work the pin out with blade from a utility knife?  Slip the blade into the gap and slowly slide the pin out.

Next option will require a dremel tool with a carbide bit and replacing the bolt catch.

Thanks for the replies, I talked to my buddy who is a machinist and helped with making the lower, of the 20 some guys who ordered and cut the lowers nobody got a screw in pin, which is at the start worrisome as I don't know how often it would need replaced! The pin is tight I tapped it in with small hammer, I'll try the utility knife if not prolly going to use Dremel and try to cut the pin on 1 side.
I did however find another issue with it as well, had it cerakoted and put in a pmag and it is a REALLY tight fit, mag has to be pulled out somewhat hard, so now on top of first issue I have this too. Might try taking back to shop who did coating and has a gunsmith on site and see what the can do. Worst case scenario I have to order a new lower and bolt catch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Per the Hellfire website, the pin is a proprietary part and should have been included in the purchase.  Give them a call. I bet they make it right.  Might even have a suggestion on how to remove the pin.

Fully loaded Pmags are sometimes tight on other guns too.  

If you have access, see how an aluminum GI magazine fits.  

In matches I'll start with a Pmag and if I need a reload, it will be with an aluminum (Brownells) magazine.  Loads much smoother in my guns.

Edited by Flatland Shooter