Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super issue

Garmil

I've loaded super before with no issues. 

Setting up my dies on a new press today.

having issues with neck tension/bullet setback.  I can not find a happy medium between preventing setback and not denting the bullet. I'm able to push the bullet in the case up until I crimp enough to leave a heavy line where the mouth hits a jacketed bullet.

i searched and saw people crimp anywhere from .378 to .382 have tried this whole range with no luck.

5 minutes ago, yoshidaex said:

Your old dies from your previous reloader or a new set of dies?

New or used brass?

Did you confirm bullet diameter?

the only time I can push a bullet in a case by hand is when the case is fired and nor resized yet

I have the sizing die just a hair above the shell plate.

for flare I'm using an m die at about .382 this is the minimum that will grab a bullet from my hornady bullet feeder (they recommend .385)

43 minutes ago, Garmil said:

I have the sizing die just a hair above the shell plate.

for flare I'm using an m die at about .382 this is the minimum that will grab a bullet from my hornady bullet feeder (they recommend .385)

Doesn't the mdie also expand down inside. That sounds like a lot of flare to me. With MBF funnel I can barely notice the mouth expansion.

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Doesn't the mdie also expand down inside. That sounds like a lot of flare to me. With MBF funnel I can barely notice the mouth expansion.

"Works in a two step process, the first step expands the inside of the case neck to just under bullet diameter. The second step expands the case mouth to bullet diameter or slightly over so that the bullet can be started perfectly centered." 

Using the m die make sure the expander inside didn't come loose. Ive had more break loose and work its way down the threads more than once, using loctite

Edited by Kraj

The sized brass is about .378.

if I go any less flare the case won't pick up a bullet from the feeder as is its borderline.

i do have a Lee powder through die I can try or the ptx insert for my hornady powder measure to see if a different type of flare helps.

Well I think it's a sizing die issue. I switched in a 9mm sizing die left everything else the same and I have perfect results, good neck tension without over crimping.

in theory this should work fine for new brass. But after firing I should use the super die to take care of any bulge at the bottom a 9mm die would miss right?

I ordered a new super U die that will hopefully have the same result.

"  I ordered a new super U die that will hopefully have the same result."

I think you will be happy with the results from using the U-die with your super brass.  Been using it for years and have been nothing but happy with the results.  You don't want setback with 38 super especially in major..  I also use a FCD, not so much for the sizing ring but because I like the way it crimps and how easy it is to dial in the right amount of crimp.  

Edited by Bamboo

I do have a fcd but haven't been using it due to lack of stages. I may put it back in the rotation it's just a pain to fine tune the flare in the hornady powder measure.  I agree on the crimp adjustment with the fcd since it's independent unlike the seat/crimp 

Your problem is the expander die. Have experienced this myself in the past. Two expander stem designs are out there. One that only flares the case mouth and the other flares the mouth as well as expanding the case walls. I do not like the whole case wall expander style. Case wall thickness variations between brands and even lots make it impossible to have any single dimension work across the board to expand that case wall. Stretching those case walls open takes tension away from the bullet. You need that tension to work in conjunction with the crimp, not relying on crimp alone. I load all my Auto loader ammo with just a light flare to the mouth. I go as far to machine my own expander stems to eliminate any case wall stretch. The only other concern you may be experiencing is a batch of soft brass that has no spring back. That will exacerbate the expander issue I just explained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmil, I use the Hornady PTX in two calibers and they work great.  The expansion is such that when the bullet is inserted by a properly set up bullet feeding die, it cannot be removed by hand.  It also makes it simple to dial in the exact flare you need.  I use Hornady's specified diameters and have no problems.  I also use an FCD for crimping.

16 minutes ago, zzt said:

Garmil, I use the Hornady PTX in two calibers and they work great.  The expansion is such that when the bullet is inserted by a properly set up bullet feeding die, it cannot be removed by hand.  It also makes it simple to dial in the exact flare you need.  I use Hornady's specified diameters and have no problems.  I also use an FCD for crimping.

Thanks I should do it that way so I free up a spot for the fcd. I just hate adjusting the amount of flare with the ptx but sounds worth it.

Set the top screw so you can see two or three threads and lock it down.  Then use the bottom screw to adjust the amount of flare you get.  The hard part, for me, was getting the powder die set to the right height so the PTX worked the way it was supposed to.  If I ever reload a caliber that requires a different height setting, I'll just buy another powder measure so I don't have to adjust when switching calibers.

I had the same problem with PD .355 bullets in my Super. I thought I would try some PD bullets. Had the same issues you describe. Switched back to Zero .356 bullets, problem stopped. YMMV.

• 3 weeks later...