Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, BC27 said:

Just got my X5.  How do you remove the grip weight?  I don't think I can leave it in for Production right?

You can leave it in for Production. 

To remove it take out the FCU and I use a 90 degree punch work in between the weight and grip module. It pushes put through the top but is wedged in tight with a small strip of rubber. 

3 hours ago, alma said:

You can leave it in for Production. 

To remove it take out the FCU and I use a 90 degree punch work in between the weight and grip module. It pushes put through the top but is wedged in tight with a small strip of rubber. 

Thanks alma,  so to confirm, it needs to be pushed straight up?  Not out towards the mag channel?  Good to know it's ok for Production but I may shoot it in IDPA at some point and I think I have to take it out for that?

1 hour ago, andersonj55126 said:

Is any company working on a tungsten replacement grip weight?

I have someone that has taken an initial look. Tungsten might only gain you a half an ounce to an ounce. 

Regarding the IDPA status, I haven't seen an official ruling. 

If they do say it has to stay out then I wonder whether you could use a stainless steel grip weight. 

On 6/13/2017 at 5:20 PM, alma said:

The Grams spring kit should give you about plus one and the Springer extension for the 21 rounders will give you another plus one for 23 plus 1 (chambered) total.  

Good to know I've been wanting to play with these but the grams guts have been out of stock

On 6/14/2017 at 1:17 AM, Bigbrowngmc said:

No it's not. It's one made by a friend of mine. The five of us that always shoot together all run them. Here's a couple pictures from a better angle.

That is a SHARP holster hanger. Your friend should consider a side line job selling those. I bet a lot of people would be interested in buying one.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my X5 almost ready for CO.  So far it sports the Grayguns competition enhanced leverage trigger service (CELTS) 

Springer Precision Leupold DPP adapter plate, one piece grit grip tape, extended mag release, and 21 round base pads with grams follower and springs (on there way)

Leupold DPP with 7.5moa Delta reticle.

Just waiting on new guide rod and spring options. 

Shot it today with no issues.  Still trying to figure out what I want my zero yardage to be.  

IMG_0633.JPG

Edited by Nick179
Removed content

32 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Ordered a steel guide rod and 14 lb spring tonight from Scott at Springer. The tungsten rods are still a month away.

Was about to do the same but have no idea which spring to get. Do you know how many lbs the weight of the stock spring is? Or which 1911 spring weight is closest to the function of the stock spring/guide rod? That way I know which springs are lighter. 

Was about to do the same but have no idea which spring to get. Do you know how many lbs the weight of the stock spring is? Or which 1911 spring weight is closest to the function of the stock spring/guide rod? That way I know which springs are lighter. 

I also just ordered a guid rod and 14# spring from springer. Both Scott and Alma recommended I go with 14.

10 minutes ago, Bigbrowngmc said:

I also just ordered a guid rod and 14# spring from springer. Both Scott and Alma recommended I go with 14.

Was that recommendation for a specific load? Or factory loads? 

On 3/29/2017 at 6:23 PM, alma said:

Give it a try when it gets here. If you are comfortable with the medium then this should still be good for you. Worst case it's fully compatible with the older style grips. 

Just thought I should confirm this for the benefit of any other digit-challenged people (thanks Alma, for keeping my interest alive). Took a while to get my hands on one, but the grip does seem "similar" to a stock 320 medium grip in my hands. I'll still pick up a small when/if it comes out though.

On 6/14/2017 at 1:55 PM, alma said:

I have someone that has taken an initial look. Tungsten might only gain you a half an ounce to an ounce. 

Regarding the IDPA status, I haven't seen an official ruling. 

If they do say it has to stay out then I wonder whether you could use a stainless steel grip weight. 

Got an email from Robert Ray at IDPA headquarters Thursday, he says he has one in hand and they are evaluating it. Since the IDPA rule says "heavy or cone barrel" such as on a Tanfo, the gun should be good to go because the barrel lock up is just like a Glock, XDM or M&P. He said they will announce it in "Tactical Briefs".

Edited by Jeff O

I did some trigger work to my X5. In stock form, my trigger had a lot of creep and was pretty mushy. I don't have a gauge but I think the overall pull was about 6 pounds. After doing some tuning, I have virtually no creep and a pretty crisp break. It feels like it breaks at around 3 pounds. I ordered a Lyman gauge so I should have an actual measurement in a couple days.  Also, I think I know how to reduce the reset and take out some over travel. I ordered some spare parts so that I can experiment with them. If I can accomplish this, it will be an amazing trigger.  Anyone know if the Gray Guns service reduces overtravel and/or reset?

10 hours ago, BC27 said:

I did some trigger work to my X5. In stock form, my trigger had a lot of creep and was pretty mushy. I don't have a gauge but I think the overall pull was about 6 pounds. After doing some tuning, I have virtually no creep and a pretty crisp break. It feels like it breaks at around 3 pounds. I ordered a Lyman gauge so I should have an actual measurement in a couple days.  Also, I think I know how to reduce the reset and take out some over travel. I ordered some spare parts so that I can experiment with them. If I can accomplish this, it will be an amazing trigger.  Anyone know if the Gray Guns service reduces overtravel and/or reset?

Interested in details...

2 hours ago, BillR1 said:

Interested in details...

First thing to clarify is that I'm not a gun smith so anything I write is based only on my back ground in mechanical engineering.  I do not have any formal firearms background.  Now that that's out of the way, I believe what dictates trigger pull weight and feel on the P320 is the various leverage geometry's, sear face, sear springs, trigger bar spring and then friction surfaces.  More or less in that order.  The geometry of the trigger assembly as a whole is fairly costly to change (requires manufacturing new parts) so I started with the sear profile.  It has an angle to make it difficult for the striker to unintentionally slip but this is IMO the cause of a few extra pound of trigger weight and creep/mushy feel.  Using very fine stones for knife sharpening, I reduced the angle of the sear face a little at a time, reassembling to test and disassembling for additional reduction.  Of course it's critical not to go too far.  At the same time, I found that using just one of the two sear springs provided enough sear return weight while knocking off trigger pull weight.  I then tuned the trigger bar spring by gently bending it to also reduce trigger pull weight while not going too soft as to eliminate an autable and tactile reset.  Finally, I lightly pollished friction surfaces where it seemed relevant.  I do feel that this has the least amount of effect as Sig designed the friction surfaces to have minimal surface area already.  I wish I had my gauge to provide an exact pull weight but I should get that tomorrow.  I believe it's about 3 pounds but just as importantly, the take up is smooth to a defined wall followed by a very, very crisp break.

So all I really want now is less over travel and a shorter reset to make this trigger perfect.  I believe this can be achieved by changing the profile of the bottom of the sear where the sear resets.  This is also where the trigger resets.  I think if I shorten the height just a bit, I think it will cause the sear to reset sooner, closer to when the striker is released.  Right now, there is a rather large gap in timing in which the striker releases and then the sear resets.  This is why P320s double click.  Technically, all of them do it, you just don't notice it in all of them. Anyway, if the sear reset is reduced, it will allow me to add to the trigger stop which will reduce over travel.  This should also cause the trigger to reset sooner.  I should get my spare sears to play with in a few days so I'll let you guys know if any of that works.

BTW, I accomplished all of this with my VP9 and I'm about 10K rounds though it now and the trigger is as good as when I first tuned it.  I am confident the reliability will be the same with the X5.