Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

Update for me. My first match with the X5 is in the books. It was a small indoor match and I finished third overall (91%) behind an Open GM and a PCC shooter. 

Not trying to rub it in, but the tungsten guide rod and the whole setup in general is pretty outstanding. Very soft and flat shooting. I need to work on my grip and recoil control more but even without really crushing my support hand it was shooting very flat with 124s. Here is another short clip with a good view of the slide motion. Now to switch back to the iron sights and magwell for a 3 Gun match this weekend. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, alma said:

Update for me. My first match with the X5 is in the books. It was a small indoor match and I finished third overall (91%) behind an Open GM and a PCC shooter. 

Not trying to rub it in, but the tungsten guide rod and the whole setup in general is pretty outstanding. Very soft and flat shooting. I need to work on my grip and recoil control more but even without really crushing my support hand it was shooting very flat with 124s. Here is another short clip with a good view of the slide motion. Now to switch back to the iron sights and magwell for a 3 Gun match this weekend. 

OK, where can I get a tungsten guide rod?

Alma,

When switching back and forth with the iron sight plate and Romeo1, was zero retained?  I have had my glock 19 MOS/Leupold Deltapoint shift significantly when removing/reattaching.  Only done it twice though.

I spoke with some of the Sig reps at a recent trade show in Tampa, they said that the X5 was designed to have the romeo1 screws attach from the bottom, as the iron sight does.. Have you tried this method?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Dave2179 said:

Alma,

When switching back and forth with the iron sight plate and Romeo1, was zero retained?  I have had my glock 19 MOS/Leupold Deltapoint shift significantly when removing/reattaching.  Only done it twice though.

I spoke with some of the Sig reps at a recent trade show in Tampa, they said that the X5 was designed to have the romeo1 screws attach from the bottom, as the iron sight does.. Have you tried this method?

Thanks!

The "SIG rep" was wrong. The locking plate attaches from under the slide but the Romeo1 attaches from the top. It definitely doesn't work the other way. 

When I first moved the R1 from the RX to the X5 it was pretty close. It only needed an elevation change. The sight plate for the irons is a reasonable fit. Looks like maybe only 0.005 of possible drift. I measured the distance from the side of each sight took a flat surface so by the calipers it looks like I should be zeroed on the irons again now. I hope to have some time to chrono on Friday so I can report back on load. Right now it's 4.1 of N320 which feels great but I need to confirm it's making 125PF plus. That was on the line with my full size. I am running a 14lb ISMI.  

Edited by alma

Anyone running 147's thru their X5's yet . they keep good accuracy with heavier or does the X5 like lighter rounds ?  Just bought mine today after the link in my 2011 broke i figure imma need a backup gun.

I was also wondering about POI shift switching from a red dot to the irons back to dot etc depending IDPA or USPSA production or carry optics.

Edited by tiger49931

Okay Alma that was amazingly flat shooting. Let us know if you arrange for a vendor to make the guide rods [emoji1319]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Talons are available either way. I just ordered two sets of the granulate for my X5 grips.

Definitely the granular Grips for competition. [emoji1303]

8 hours ago, alma said:

Does the dot stay within the window on recoil? I'm finding a bit of recoil, but I'm using the stock rod and recoil spring. 

2 minutes ago, nunez said:

Does the dot stay within the window on recoil? I'm finding a bit of recoil, but I'm using the stock rod and recoil spring. 

Yes, it was for me. 

Picked up my X5 today at a local store.  They had a couple in stock.  $820.45 out the door, and that included the NC sales tax.  More than I wanted to spend, but with in the park.  I did try 3 different pistols for the trigger pull, and I picked the best one.  I was surprise at the variance in the 3 pistol.  My trigger is very good for a out of the box gun.  I ticked the salesman off, he was furious at the amount of times that I dry fired the gun.  He actually stated, "we don't mind if you dry fire a couple of time, but not like 50 times".  Another one of the gun shop experts that could not hit the back side of a barn.  I said yes sir, I understand, I would not want to wear the gun out !!  

The trigger was very good, the best I have felt so far.  Looking forward to a little polish work, should be able to be in a mid 4 lb range with ease.  I am glad to have pulled the trigger on this one, no pun intended.

Tommy

Spoke with Springer Precision and they said the weight of the Deltapoint Pro adapter plate is 3oz, so your basically adding 4 oz more to the slide than you would with the Romeo 1.

How much will that extra 4oz on the slide effect the gun?

I think that I am going to post mine tonight.  I really don't need it.  I bought mine, but I can say that it does pay to check the triggers on them.  Mine is a very good trigger compared to some that I felt.

I chronoed some loads today side by side between the X5 and one of my full size P320s. 

I was on and in door range using a chrono with a light kit. 

Loads were all mixed brass with 124 gr SIG V-Crown JHPs, N320, Winchester SPP, at 1.125 OAL. Procedure was to load a magazine with 10 or so of each, if fired the X5 for five or six rounds, then ejected the mag and loaded into the full size where I can finished it off. 

Overall I saw about a 3% gain in Power Factor with the X5 over the full size. 

I have seen other reports that either the X5 chronoed about the same as the full size or even that it was slightly slower than the full size. Best to verify on your own gun to ensure you know where you are before heading to a major. 

w5hY1N5h.jpg

Edited by alma

On 5/24/2017 at 7:37 PM, alma said:

The "SIG rep" was wrong. The locking plate attaches from under the slide but the Romeo1 attaches from the top. It definitely doesn't work the other way. 

When I first moved the R1 from the RX to the X5 it was pretty close. It only needed an elevation change. The sight plate for the irons is a reasonable fit. Looks like maybe only 0.005 of possible drift. I measured the distance from the side of each sight took a flat surface so by the calipers it looks like I should be zeroed on the irons again now. I hope to have some time to chrono on Friday so I can report back on load. Right now it's 4.1 of N320 which feels great but I need to confirm it's making 125PF plus. That was on the line with my full size. I am running a 14lb ISMI.  

No surprise, but  Alma you were right - not possible to attach the R1 from the bottom...  Will email and make fun of the SIG rep.  also really appreciate the video as well, without it, I am sure I would have jammed the allen wrench into the extractor spring, wondering what was going on.  I had a similar experience with the R1 adjustment... I only needed elevation change - had to go 12 clicks up from its setting while mounted on my RX.  I'm off to find a bit so that I can use my torque wrench to properly snug the R1 screws, then verify zero later this week.

Can't wait for those guide rods!!!

On 5/24/2017 at 8:12 PM, MrTuna said:

Okay Alma that was amazingly flat shooting. Let us know if you arrange for a vendor to make the guide rods emoji1319.png

Yes please Alma, let us know if find someone to manufacture the tungsten guide rods.

1 hour ago, bomadera said:

Yes please Alma, let us know if find someone to manufacture the tungsten guide rods.

I am having a few more made but the price is embarrassing. If I end up with a additional I'll post back here. Springer Precision said he expects to have a large batch on June 18. 

21 minutes ago, shooter.860 said:

Alma, Is the gray gun flat trigger good to go now in carry optics ? 

If the curved was legal than the flat should now be. I know Bruce has had discussions with DNROI but I haven't seen documentation. I asked Bruce to see whether he can get something more formal than side discussions at Shot Show and Nationals. Sorry I can't be more specific.