Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

At least when comparing a Tanfoglio bladetech holster to the RHT two-layer holster body...

The Red Hill one is twice as strong/stiff and molded to the gun far better than the Bladetech holster body was.

Sounds Good.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been testing some guide rods from one source that does small batch machine jobs. Grayguns and Springer Precision have them in the works as well. Not sure on the ETA. 

Are you going to test a heavier one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 5/14/2017 at 10:05 PM, DKnoch said:

I swapped FCU's with my X5 and regular full size 320, that has a GG trigger. I may put my GG curved trigger into my X5 fcu, based on what you've said here. That is if you think it'll make a difference

It works for me beautifully, I like the curved trigger.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, alma said:

I saw someone issue a warning on another page about the length of the 21 round magazines and it is worth repeating. 

The 21 round mags are ever so slightly long for the USPSA gage. If you rest them in there you will see a very small gap at the top where it doesn't sit perfectly flat in the gage without a bit of pressure. It's not much but an overzealous chrono check might call it out and move you to open. 

The Fix is easy: just remove a small amount of material from the bottom corner of the factory base pad or use the Springer plus two extensions before heading to a major match. 

cM0DT0rh.jpg

Are these the 140mm 21 round magazine base pads? It says you only get 1 extra round with the grams follower. Thanks Alma! 

3 hours ago, MrTuna said:

Are these the 140mm 21 round magazine base pads? It says you only get 1 extra round with the grams follower. Thanks Alma! 

Yes. One extra round with the extension and another one with the Grams spring kit. 23 plus 1 in just less than 141.25mm (the actual max length for 140mm mags) 

Thanks to S&W686 giving us a heads-up that Gilbert's Guns has the X5 in stock, I was able to order one Tuesday morning and picked it up from my local FFL this afternoon. The pistol feels great in my hand (my first large frame Sig) since I have been shooting a Gen2 Glock 17 for many years. Since I am a LH shooter, I am psyched that I finally have a pistol with the slide release on the RH side of the frame. The first thing I did was swap the mag release button so it is also on the RH side.

Three things jumped out at me after handling the gun for a little bit. I definitely need to get some grip tape on the grip. After just a few minutes of holding it in my house it was already feeling slippery to me. Would love any feedback if there is an noticeable difference between Talon and Springer grip enhancers. Second, the front sight is to narrow for my liking. I'm a big fan of Dawson fiber optic sights (have them on two my pistols) but the sight on the X5 just looks to tiny. It is 0.09" and the notch in the rear sight is 0.125". I'll shoot it first, but I suspect I'll be ordering a wider front sight from Dawson. The trigger is definitely very good for a factory trigger and it's my first pistol with a flat trigger. But, it is not as smooth and light as the custom trigger on my G17. I'll have to fire it a bit to see how it feels.

Hope to get this on the range in the next couple of days to see how it handles five or six different brands of ammo plus my reloads. I'm really looking forward into shooting my first USPSA match with the X5 once I get a holster, mag pouches, etc. Until then, it's still the G17.

Got this pistol sooner than I thought I would be able to.

Thanks to S&W686 giving us a heads-up that Gilbert's Guns has the X5 in stock, I was able to order one Tuesday morning and picked it up from my local FFL this afternoon. The pistol feels great in my hand (my first large frame Sig) since I have been shooting a Gen2 Glock 17 for many years. Since I am a LH shooter, I am psyched that I finally have a pistol with the slide release on the RH side of the frame. The first thing I did was swap the mag release button so it is also on the RH side.

Three things jumped out at me after handling the gun for a little bit. I definitely need to get some grip tape on the grip. After just a few minutes of holding it in my house it was already feeling slippery to me. Would love any feedback if there is an noticeable difference between Talon and Springer grip enhancers. Second, the front sight is to narrow for my liking. I'm a big fan of Dawson fiber optic sights (have them on two my pistols) but the sight on the X5 just looks to tiny. It is 0.09" and the notch in the rear sight is 0.125". I'll shoot it first, but I suspect I'll be ordering a wider front sight from Dawson. The trigger is definitely very good for a factory trigger and it's my first pistol with a flat trigger. But, it is not as smooth and light as the custom trigger on my G17. I'll have to fire it a bit to see how it feels.

Hope to get this on the range in the next couple of days to see how it handles five or six different brands of ammo plus my reloads. I'm really looking forward into shooting my first USPSA match with the X5 once I get a holster, mag pouches, etc. Until then, it's still the G17.

Got this pistol sooner than I thought I would be able to.

It's definitely slick. I wish they would have went with more grip texture because it's easier to sand off texture then add it. I am ordering the Springer grip tape because I know how rough it is. Good stuff. The flat PELT trigger cleans up the pull quite a bit but I am not at a level where a custom trigger job would add time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When I first got my X5, my 125-130 PF loads wouldn't eject.   Today I fired 50 rounds of factory ammo, then tried my lighter loads again.   This time, the cases ejected, but the slide wouldn't lock back.   Do I just need to put more higher power rounds through it?   The slide locks back fine with my factory 145-150 PF ammo.

Edited by ShootEm
mistakenly spoke of factory ammo as "major loads"

41 minutes ago, ShootEm said:

When I first got my X5, my minor loads wouldn't eject.   Today I fired 50 rounds of major loads, then tried my minor loads again.   This time, the cases ejected, but the slide wouldn't lock back.   Do I just need to put more major rounds through it?   The slide locks back fine with my major loads.

Be careful shooting your lighter loads if the gun isn't broken in. I got a kaboom followed by consecutive stove pipes and misfeeds. I sent mine back to Sig. They said they did a courtesy relief of the pretension and sent it back. Only shot a few mags but it seems fine now. If you notice when the slide is slightly out of battery and you press the trigger, it forces the slide closed and feels like an engaged trigger. I think that's how I got my kaboom. Maybe the striker hits the primer and ignites a split second before the round is completely in the chamber. You can see where some of the gasses busted out the side towards the rear of my spent casing.  Thankfully no damage was done to the gun or my face/hand. Just some shockwave to my face lol. 

Hi guys, I know there has been some question as to our lead time at Red Hill.  In order to meet demand for these guns I just ordered a second X5 to mold from.  As soon as it gets here we will begin pushing them out.  

I have also hired a full time employee as well as the part time guy we have had.  We have a goal of being able to offer a same week shipping option.  

I am really up in the air on this pistol.  I love the weight, feel, sight picture, but the trigger will really need some work.  I hate to spend the $800 for the gun, change the basepads, add a guide rod, hope the brass magwell will be made, and $369 for a trigger job from GG .   Then the down time for the trigger work.  I don't shoot many matches anymore, so do I want to dump the funds or just shoot the old Glock when I get the chance to shoot a match.   I do love the feel of this gun !!!!

14 minutes ago, troupe said:

I am really up in the air on this pistol.  I love the weight, feel, sight picture, but the trigger will really need some work.  I hate to spend the $800 for the gun, change the basepads, add a guide rod, hope the brass magwell will be made, and $369 for a trigger job from GG .   Then the down time for the trigger work.  I don't shoot many matches anymore, so do I want to dump the funds or just shoot the old Glock when I get the chance to shoot a match.   I do love the feel of this gun !!!!

For me personally, I like the ability to have adjustable sights because I like to see holes in the "X"... I appreciate the very tight lockup that is loosening to butter smooth... I ended up using the standard small p320 grip (I have 5 other p320's that my twin boys love shooting, but they need the smaller grip). The tighter fit, adjustable sights (I'd already spent $120 changing front blade height multiple times to get the right POA>POI) - when I add getting four 21-round magazines and selling the X-Five grip module, the money was close to the same as a standard p320 full size and I now have the sights, trigger and magazines I wanted. YMMV... but this worked for me. 

I think the biggest thing that is holding me back is the trigger.  I did not expect the mush to be so much.  I know it is a striker fired, but it has to be cleaned up some and the reset be shortened some.  Any one that has the GG work done, chime in.

I had GG work on a p30l for me and they did a great job.  Theoretically this shouldn't need any trigger work.  Thanks to the heads up earlier I also got one from Gilbert's Guns and I've got them bookmarked because they're on point.  I agree front sight should be bigger and is my first flat trigger gun.  Doubt it'll replace my 2011 but I'm quite impressed so far.

3 hours ago, troupe said:

I think the biggest thing that is holding me back is the trigger.  I did not expect the mush to be so much.  I know it is a striker fired, but it has to be cleaned up some and the reset be shortened some.  Any one that has the GG work done, chime in.

Hey Tom - I haven't gotten my X-5 yet but I did get to handle one at Scheels in Billings last Monday - the trigger pull was terrible! Mushy and gritty at the same time while probably 5&1/2 - 6 pound pull weight. I did my own trigger job on my 320 as the 6 month plus wait time for GG to do it wasn't in the cards for me. After hours of fiddling with it my trigger now breaks at 2 pounds 10 ounces. I've pulled some .11-.12 splits with it so the re-set is perfect on mine. I've put probably 3000+ rounds through it so far with nary a bobble. My plan is to use my 320 FCU and put the X-5 top end on it once it gets here.

1 minute ago, titandriver said:

Hey Tom - I haven't gotten my X-5 yet but I did get to handle one at Scheels in Billings last Monday - the trigger pull was terrible! Mushy and gritty at the same time while probably 5&1/2 - 6 pound pull weight. I did my own trigger job on my 320 as the 6 month plus wait time for GG to do it wasn't in the cards for me. After hours of fiddling with it my trigger now breaks at 2 pounds 10 ounces. I've pulled some .11-.12 splits with it so the re-set is perfect on mine. I've put probably 3000+ rounds through it so far with nary a bobble. My plan is to use my 320 FCU and put the X-5 top end on it once it gets here.

Less than 3lbs?! How did u do that?? Please do share some hints plz:o

4 hours ago, titandriver said:

Nunez is partially correct - it was light polishing many, many times to get to where it eventually ended up. I spent a lot of time with disassembly/re-assembly to say the least!

Where specifically did you polish? Thank you.

Outside of FCU where trigger bar rubs, completely disassembled the inside of FCU and polished the interior pieces. Real CAUTION is needed here as I imagine it would be really easy to go too far and have either an unsafe pistol or a non-working one! Slow going and many, many times disassembling/reassembling - not for the impatient!

10 minutes ago, titandriver said:

Outside of FCU where trigger bar rubs, completely disassembled the inside of FCU and polished the interior pieces. Real CAUTION is needed here as I imagine it would be really easy to go too far and have either an unsafe pistol or a non-working one! Slow going and many, many times disassembling/reassembling - not for the impatient!

Thank you sir!

8 minutes ago, nunez said:

Thank you sir!

Gotta admit, I had a second bone-stock P320 on hand to compare the polished parts to the stock ones. Also, Bruce Gray has a nice vid on his site showing the installation of the PELT trigger on a 320 and it has a couple of reassembly tips to ease the process.