Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Marshal82 said:

For USPSA don't forget about Open, it's legal! ;)

I listed Open when I asked the question. I would like to see and X5 setup for open but I do not think that we will see it anytime soon but I am sure someone will do it. I have never shot open but do not know if it would even be a contender. I am waiting on the 40 to come out as I shoot Limited and the X5 in 9mm will have a disadvantage so I will be waiting until next year.   

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Just Limited (minor) and Lim-10 (minor) for USPSA.  It's not on the Production approved list, so Production and CO are out.  I cannot speak to any 3-gun or IDPA Divisions.

Or Open. 

I heard that they should have Production numbers by the NRA annual meeting. 

35 minutes ago, alma said:

Or Open. 

I heard that they should have Production numbers by the NRA annual meeting. 

Yeah, that, too.  For some reason I keep associating the removable sight plate/dot mount with CO and not Open.  Does anyone make a bridge mount for the 320?

Sooo....

I picked up my X5 today and shot 115 rounds through it.  Some things to note.

Pros:

1.  It comes with four magazines.  Pretty neat.

2.  The balance of the gun is very nice.  Ive never really liked a very muzzle heavy gun but this thing needs to have a very neutral balance, ie its right in the centerline of the grip with a slight bias towards the muzzle.

3.  The gun is very, very tight.  Its almost as though they "hardfit" the barrel and they're going to let the shooter break it in via use.

4.  The Dawson sights are very well made which doesnt surprise me.

5.  In addition, the Dawson sight setup is right on the money.  Without calipering it, i believe the front is a .100 thick blade with a .120 notch.  The notch in the rear is fairly shallow which i like as i find vertical stringing to be more common with really deep notches, for example the Tanfolgio stock adjustable sight.

6. The grip shape itself is fantastic.  It is very comfortable but there is one small caveat which i will get to in my list of con's.  Trigger reach is just about right with the flat faced trigger

7.  The magwell is gigantic without being ridiculously large.

8.  The magwell transitions beautifully to the polymer frame.

9.  The x grip module interacts just fine with my 320's chassis and slide.  I cant wait until we can purchase these modules for our standard guns.  The completely flat sides of the x grip module really lend themselves to allowing me to clamp down with my support hand with minimal slip.  It makes tracking the sights very, very easy.

10.  The slide feels VERY light.  Im going to weigh it tomorrow compared to my standard full sized 320 slide.

11.  The magazine release is very easy to reach on this grip module and i do not feel that i need a longer one.  I will probably end up getting one anyway because well...anodized colorized metal is just...better.

12.  The gun is a pussycat to shoot.  Im not sure if its the overall weight of the gun, the "bull" barrel, the x grip or a combination of those factors but it has decidedly less muzzle climb than my full size 320.

13.  The trigger feels marginally lighter than my full size 320 which came with an almost 8 lb factory weight.  I will weigh the x5 tomorrow and get back to this post.

14.  There is a mold line for a safety on the x grip frame.  I find this appealing as I dont mind a nice thumb safety on my carry guns.  Its not something i really care about for competition but its at least nice that it seems like they've considered the option.

15. Getting back to the x grip.  The texture is pretty nice.  I wasnt my usual sweaty self this evening so i didnt really notice much slipping but im not even sure I really need grip tape on this thing.  Ill probably tape it up since you can never have TOO much grip but for now, not bad, well done Sig.  In addition, the undercut for the triggerguard is WAY more comfortable than the full size 320.  The full size 320 wasnt bad, especially the newly revised frames with the slide lock lever guards but the x5 is that much better.

Cons:

1. The gun is tight...really tight.  It will not go into battery if you baby it.  Ie, dry firing the thing is difficult because you cant just partially rack the slide to reset the trigger mechanism to press off another shot.  You have to RACK the slide to get it to go into battery or....push the slide to fully seat it.  Either one works and its a minor quibble i just hope there isnt a function issue.

2.  My front sight is not centered in the dovetail.  It has a very slight bias to the right.  That's disappointing for a thousand dollar gun.  Shit, its disappointing on a 250 dollar gun.

3.  We get four magazines which are honestly useless to me.  I bought this to be a production blaster and 140mm magazines are worthless.  I understand that they were probably pushing this gun to be a carry optics beast so it makes sense for sig to offer the gun like this but maybe offer a SKU with four regular ol magazines?

4.  The magwell is cast and is probably going to end up destroyed sooner rather than later for those of us that keep it on.  Again, not a huge deal as its probably sturdy enough but for a G, i would have loved to have seen a machined magwell.

5.  The trigger is still heavy.  Again, for a G I would have liked to have seen an x5 chassis included in this gun.  Im pretty sure Grey guns begged Sig not to offer a better trigger...

6.  There are no markings on the rear sight to denote windage adjustments.  Im a simpleton, I like pictures.

7.The magwell is held on by a small allen screw.  IMO that screw should have been two sizes larger.

8.  I dont understand the medium sized slide locks.  They're smaller than the original p250 locks but bigger than the "small" swept forward slide locks.  This one is somewhat awkward to hit.  Not a huge deal as a gamer gun but still something that im scratching my head about.

9.  My recoil rod was jutting out from the front of the gun by an eight of an inch.  It wasnt seating properly in the cutout on the barrel when the gun was fully assembled.  Shooting the gun and monkeying around with it a bit seems to have alleviated this issue.

10.  It is REALLY heavily sprung.  I had one failure to extract with my 132k power factor reloads.  Im pretty sure the slide just short stroked.  You can see the shells bouncing off of the slide as you shoot with my ammo.  A new recoil rod and spring will solve that issue.

11.  The slide is milled for Sig's proprietary romeo 1 optic and we are stuck with that until someone comes out with an adapter plate if it can be done.

12.  I really wish manufacturers that include forward cocking serrations would raise them up more towards the top of the slide.  I use a pinch method with my thumb and first knuckle of my index finger and really wish i had serrations higher to actually grip.  As it stands, the serrations are useless up front.  This isnt really a knock against the x5 as the standard 320 also suffers from this issue.

All in all the gun is very, very nice and I am exceptionally pleased with it.  I think Sig hit a home run and for the price i really do believe this is THE gun to get for carry optics.

Regarding your second #5 assumption, it was quite the opposite. I think cost and schedule were the determining factor in not including the Grayguns stuff out of the door. Also, keeping it just over 5lb leaves it potentially IPSC Production legal. 

#8 - the position on the large one was too far back. The smaller one was in a better location but without the box around it, it was very sharp. I was happy to see a new design with the right location and a more reasonable size. 

Regarding #4, #9, #10: I expect aftermarket guide rods, magwells, and adapter plates soon. 

On #1, I experienced the same but it's getting better with use. 

Good write up, Con #5 they have to bring the gun out with atleast a 5lb trigger or they just completely isolated the gun from the over seas ipsc market and with marketing it as a competition gun that would be a no no.... 

mine just shipped to my FFL. Can't wait!

Regarding #5, yeah, the IPSC comment sticks and makes sense.  The rest, yep, probably just as credible as the grey guns trigger being production legal...Pfft.

Given Sig's propensity for SKU's, a US version with a lowered pull weight shouldnt have been an impossibility.  Sig manufactured a trigger for this gun so the whole "cost and schedule thing" doesnt really hold much water but you can defend whomever you want, however you want.

At the end of the day im sure someone other than Gray Guns will release something juicy for us that ideally will be production legal.  The gun is worth the time and cost investment to improve the trigger.

Edited by Magsz

6 hours ago, Magsz said:

Regarding #5, yeah, the IPSC comment sticks and makes sense.  The rest, yep, probably just as credible as the grey guns trigger being production legal...Pfft.

Makes about as much sense as the latest DNROI rulings about external modifications in Production and Carry Optics:  https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=86

21 hours ago, Magsz said:

All in all the gun is very, very nice and I am exceptionally pleased with it.  I think Sig hit a home run and for the price i really do believe this is THE gun to get for carry optics.

It'd be a better choice for Carry Optics if you could actually buy the optic :-)

3 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Magsz, what aftermarket recoil spring and weight do you recommend?

There is nothing today but I expect to see a stainless one in the next couple of weeks. I am also working on a tungsten one but it would be nice go know the target Production weight first. I think it could be as much as 3.5oz which would be handy for CO, but I bit much for Production. 

Edited by alma

Someone in a post a page or two up in this thread asked the source of these pistols for those of you that have been able to get them.  I also would like to get on the list for one of these guns and was wondering where to call.

Thanks.

I also pre ordered in January at Sig Pro Shop. 10% off list to boot. 

At the same time I sent my old P320 full size to Bruce for a Compitition flat trigger and they both shopped on the same day last week so I'll be able to have the Ultimate 320 X-five. 

Edited by hawkgear
Incomplete

I ordered mine at the Sig Academy Pro Shop when i saw Alma's note - they had a few left after filling pre-orders.  I did not ask about backordering one or pre-ordering an X-Carry.  I did get an email from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, saying that they were taking pre-orders for the X-Carry.  I purchased my 320 RX through them (No Cabela's in Florida).

I asked Phil Strader (at Optics Nationals) about the more difficult lockup of the X-Five, he said that the stiffness is due to the slide and barrel being pre-tensioned for enhanced accuracy.

I haven't shot it yet, but love the grip.  Can't wait for a few of the aftermarket goodies that have been mentioned.

10 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Magsz, what aftermarket recoil spring and weight do you recommend?

As of now there is nothing available to us.  The factory guide rod is slightly longer than the standard full size 320.

Scott Springer of Springer Precision said that hes got guide rods in the works so I would imagine we will see those parts in a month or two.  Scott actually delivers on his promises and produces quality gear.

WHEN we do have a recoil rod available im thinking ill probably end up with a 13 or 14 lb recoil spring.

On 4/20/2017 at 3:50 PM, Marshal82 said:

It's a no go in IDPA for any division due to the cone style barrel. 

For USPSA don't forget about Open, it's legal! ;)

I wanted to touch on this...

The barrel is thicker than the standard 320 but its far from a bull barrel.  The full size 320's barrel is actually rather skinny.  Do we have an actual definition on what constitutes a bull barrel?  A cone style barrel is is self evident, a bull barrel however seems awfully arbitrary unless you're talking about 1911's.

Edited by Magsz

The fact that someone can point to marketing material that says "bull barrel" would likely be more than enough for IDPA. 

I may have mentioned this to but the bull barrel adds about 1.3oz over the full size barrel. It doesn't sound like much but I could feel the difference shooting it side by side with a full size. 

Here they are side-by-side.  FS is .550" OD at the muzzle, X-Five is .630" OD.  The X-Five barrel is also .3" longer.

Alma - Did you shoot the FS slide assy on the X-5 grip module for your felt recoil comparison, or with the FS grip module?  The X-Five grip is weighted, so I'm wondering how much the difference is due to the barrel weight alone.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot my X-Five yet :( 

X-5 vs FS.jpeg

9 hours ago, Vizorn said:

Here they are side-by-side.  FS is .550" OD at the muzzle, X-Five is .630" OD.  The X-Five barrel is also .3" longer.

Alma - Did you shoot the FS slide assy on the X-5 grip module for your felt recoil comparison, or with the FS grip module?  The X-Five grip is weighted, so I'm wondering how much the difference is due to the barrel weight alone.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot my X-Five yet :( 

X-5 vs FS.jpeg

I was using stock recoil springs in each and my full size had my very aggressively textured 3 Gun grip that has the thumb grooves built up and about 5 additional ounces of weight (3oz brass slug in the magwell channel and a 2oz stainless steel STI magwell).

Shooting the same 124 gr Xtreme with 4.3gr of N320 side by side I was surprised that I could feel a significant difference. It wasn't an huge difference but it maybe felt like a 4.0 grain charge or something like that. I can't wait to try this with a heavier guide rod and different recoil spring. 

IDPA - "Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions." from rulebook 

From Sig page - The 5" bull barrel and lightened slide pair perfectly

There is a change IDPA lets it play but I won't hold my breath.