Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

21 hours ago, JunotFranco said:

When you say there appears to be a trigger geometry change, is it internal or no longer a flat trigger?

Still a flat trigger.  Geometry change is internal.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Vizorn said:

Still a flat trigger.  Geometry change is internal.

The geometry change is a question mark. I have heard yes from one source and no from another. I hope to find out definitely on Monday when I pick up mine. 

The geometry change is a question mark. I have heard yes from one source and no from another. I hope to find out definitely on Monday when I pick up mine. 

Are you having the GGI crew install the action enhancement parts? I spent some time with Jeff and Bruce at Shot Show and got a peek at the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MrTuna said:

Are you having the GGI crew install the action enhancement parts? I spent some time with Jeff and Bruce at Shot Show and got a peek at the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Bruce mention whether the kit will be made available for purchase at some point, or will everything but the trigger remain for in-house use only?

6 hours ago, Vizorn said:

Did Bruce mention whether the kit will be made available for purchase at some point, or will everything but the trigger remain for in-house use only?

The full kit is supposed to be available at some point. No specific ETA that I have seen. 

Here is my question. I shoot limited with a p320 and I was planning to upgrade to the X5 grip, slide and barrel when it releases in 40. But with the X5 coming out the box with a 5lb pull should I plan to purchase the complete 40 with FCU? While I know that I can have the trigger job done on my current P320, with that cost added to the X5 parts I would be paying more than a complete X5. 

Can someone provide some in-depth explanation of what has been done to the X5 FCU compared to the P320 FCU to yeild the 5lb pull? I can't imagine that it is just the flat trigger and polished parts as I have done that on mine. Has anyone compared the spring and other parts between the 2 FCU's. If we can determine the parts that are new then I can just order those for my current FCU when they are available. 

Edited by Sig0431

The early reports I heard were that the trigger was the only thing changed. Hopefully I will have more specific information tomorrow night assuming I can pick mine up. 

Alma,

First off, thanks much for your DETAILED FCU Videos, they saved me significant frustration.  Second, thanks also for the heads up on the X5s at the Sig Academy Pro Shop, mine arrives tomorrow.  Third, thanks also for the link to RHT's pre-order page, I spoke to Bob on Friday and ordered one.

I'm very interested on your take regarding upcoming GGI products/work.  I have 2 x P320s already, one with dropin trigger, and one with their full FCU work/proprietary parts, (about a month ago).  They are both working well for me, though I'm at 4lbs with curved trigger and full action work, also at 4lbs with Flat trigger only (no action work) on my other P320.  Difference is likely due to the position on the trigger where the scale is able to measure - middle of trigger for the curved one, and very bottom of the lever arm for the flat one.

Anyway, keep it coming, we appreciate it!

Kaboom from my X5. 20 rounds, 9 stovepipes, 1 kaboom, 1 Failure to feed nose high. Anyone that has one have any problems? Is your lockup extremely tight like mine? Factory works fine, soft shooting loads not enough to cycle the gun properly. At least the first day which was only 20 rounds. Put another 20 through of various loads and worked.  It risking though, calling Sig tomorrow. 

IMG_1849.JPG

1 hour ago, Sig0431 said:

Another question for X5 owners. Can someone see if the 1911 guide rod and storing will work with the X5. While I want to say of course, I don't want to assume anything. 

The guide rod need to ensure 0.3" longer but I don't know which end the extra length goes on yet. Springer and Grayguns are working on options. 

1 hour ago, GJ710 said:

Kaboom from my X5. 20 rounds, 9 stovepipes, 1 kaboom, 1 Failure to feed nose high. Anyone that has one have any problems? Is your lockup extremely tight like mine? Factory works fine, soft shooting loads not enough to cycle the gun properly. At least the first day which was only 20 rounds. Put another 20 through of various loads and worked.  It risking though, calling Sig tomorrow. 

IMG_1849.JPG

The lockup is supposed to be tighter on this gun so it might need another bit of break in. I haven't seen other reports like that yet but will let you know what I experience. 

1 minute ago, alma said:

The lockup is supposed to be tighter on this gun so it might need another bit of break in. I haven't seen other reports like that yet but will let you know what I experience. 

Yea. I want to keep it and try to break it in but I can't possibly shoot the gun when after every round I have to check to see if the slide made it in to battery. For the striker to be able to hit the primer when out of battery also seems like a safety issue. I will see what Sig says. 

Has anyone tried using the X5 on current p320 holsters

It does not fit Bladetech holsters. You can heat it all you want but the trigger guard will not lock into the holster. It will fit and lock into the Comp-tac holster.  Cranking down the tension screws on the Bladetech did nothing to secure it any better. It would not be suitable for competition due to the fact it would fall ,out easily.

The short time I got to try out Masons shows it's a winner. They are shipping and have been for a few days, First batch went to those on the waiting list. locally here.

I picked up mine yesterday. 

The lock up feels very differently from my other P320s, it's tighter. At first it took a bit of pressure to lockup the last quarter inch. 

After 250 rounds at the range it locks up much easier so a bit of break in time might be advised. It functioned perfectly at my range session. Zero issues with the gun or magazines. 

I can now confirm that the stock trigger has a slight geometry change that seems to make the trigger a pound plus lighter than the stock pull. Fresh from the factory that translated to about a 6lb pull when pulling from the center of the trigger. The Grayguns PELT still reduces the trigger pull a bit more and the full Grayguns kit obviously improves over that. I actually ended up just taking an existing FCU with a Grayguns flat trigger and a 3.5lb pull that I ended up just dropping in. The X5 trigger has slightly sharper corners than the Grayguns flat trigger so you might prefer one over the other. 

I took a standard full size P320 with a standard recoil assembly and a weighted grip on shot it side by side with the X5. The same load absolutely feels softer in the X5. The bull barrel is about an ounce and a quarter heavier than the full size barrel and it makes a surprising amount of difference. Despite the fact that the X5 slide is longer it actually weighs about 0.2 Oz less than the standard full size P320 slide, which is already on the light side. This combination should make for a soft, but fastest cycling gun. 

That said, I am confident that it would still benefit from a stainless steel or even tungsten guide rod. The tungsten guide rods made a big difference for me with the RX and kind of makes it feel like you are shooting a steel framed gun. Because they are so thick the tungsten rods are about 3oz for the standard P320 so it can make it hard to make weight in Production but shouldn't be a problem in CO. Springer and Grayguns are working on guide rods now. 

Speaking of weight, the grip weight seems to be cast and a weight similar to brass. Weighs 1.75oz. Tungsten is pretty hard to machine but if it could be done in a this complex shape I think you could add another ounce or ounce and a half. 

Total weight for the gun with the magwell and 21 round magazines was about 34.7 Oz. With the magwell removed and a 17 round magazine with flush base pads its 30.35 Oz. 

Everything looks good so far and I am getting use to the new grip which is a big impact over the older stock grip. 

The magazine release looks to be the standard size but the Springer Precision extended release will work in this grip without modification. 

For holsters, if the gun doesn't fit in the your current P320 holster and the holster has a closed end then you might be able to cut down bottom of the holster to allow for the extractor length of the X5 slide to clear. 

Otherwise Red Hill Tactical has made its first X5 holsters, with mine being #2 off the line. Now if SIG would hurry up and get the numbers out so we can get this approved for CO and then Production. 

@alma outstanding initial write up and insights. We all cant thank you enough for all you provide to us. I am happy to hear that not just form your write up but a few others that there is no initial issues with the feel or function of the X5. I am looking forward to when they finally release grip for sale but I am not holding my breath for that to happen anytime soon. But if you ever find that you are not a fan of the new grip I will be happy to trade you my full size with SP magwell haha!

Thanks for the write up Alma, It sounds like SP is on top of things as far as enhancements go and RHT is already knocking out the holsters.

Has anyone heard ship dates from a regular distributor? Seems like most people who have them got them straight from Sig.

18 hours ago, rscalzo said:

It does not fit Bladetech holsters. You can heat it all you want but the trigger guard will not lock into the holster. It will fit and lock into the Comp-tac holster.  Cranking down the tension screws on the Bladetech did nothing to secure it any better. It would not be suitable for competition due to the fact it would fall ,out easily.

The short time I got to try out Masons shows it's a winner. They are shipping and have been for a few days, First batch went to those on the waiting list. locally here.

I emailed Bladetech if they can make one and they said 3-4 day lead time. 

Has anyone seen an X5 on the shelf at a gun store yet? My local shops have full size P320's but I was interested in handling an X5 before I ordered one. I already have a P320 compact and love it, and thought about getting a P320 RX for CO but have heald off buying one.  I like what I have read about the X5 already. 

As it stands TODAY, if a shooter were to go out this weekend aside from USPSA Limited (and Open but come on), what other divisions is the X5 legal for out of the box without removing any parts? I understand that this will / may change in the future.

Just Limited (minor) and Lim-10 (minor) for USPSA.  It's not on the Production approved list, so Production and CO are out.  I cannot speak to any 3-gun or IDPA Divisions.