Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, shakazulu12 said:

Not the full size as the rules are currently written.  The carry version would be though.  Bull barrel over 4.25 inches knocks it out of IDPA.

Can't you just put a standard barrel in it and be legal?

38 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Can't you just put a standard barrel in it and be legal?

A standard barrel won't fit through bull barrel hole. 

The X-Carry and VTac should be legal for IDPA, as are any of the current guns (except for the RX models). 

Well, since the gun is modular, you should be able to either put a current FS slide assembly on the X-5, or put the x-grip module on any current 320. I don't know if either of these options would would be good for SSP, or would knock you to ESP. 

On March 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM, shakazulu12 said:

Not the full size as the rules are currently written.  The carry version would be though.  Bull barrel over 4.25 inches knocks it out of IDPA.

Not sure how you are coming to that conclusion.  The IDPA Rule book (as currently written) excludes CDP guns with  "cone barrel" over 4.25 inches; however for SSP there is no such exclusion or language regarding a cone barrel (the term "Bull Barrel" is not anywhere in the rule book) .  I conclude that if it fits in the box and makes weight, the X-5 would be legal for SSP.

32 minutes ago, mjl said:

Not sure how you are coming to that conclusion.  The IDPA Rule book (as currently written) excludes CDP guns with  "cone barrel" over 4.25 inches; however for SSP there is no such exclusion or language regarding a cone barrel (the term "Bull Barrel" is not anywhere in the rule book) .  I conclude that if it fits in the box and makes weight, the X-5 would be legal for SSP.

Well look at that.  I hadn't seen the latest update.  It definitely wasn't legal before, the rule has been quoted on this forum in the other X5 thread numerous times.  I'll shut up now and be even more anxious for this one to get released into the wild.

On 3/15/2017 at 8:34 PM, mjl said:

Sorry 

8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions
The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook.

C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions.

21 hours ago, alma said:

Sorry 

The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook.

C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions.

I guess this begs the question:  What is the definition of a heavy barrel?  Is this another shadow IDPA term that is ill-defined or based on the whim of HQ?

Edited by mjl
spelling

51 minutes ago, mjl said:

I guess this begs the question:  What is the definition of a heavy barrel?  Is this another shadow IDPA term that is ill-defined or based on the whim of HQ?

Likely, but the fact that SIG is advertising it as such will leave no doubt as to the ruling. Sort of like how IPSC banned the Glock 34 likely because Glock marketed it as a Competition gun which was not in the spirit of the original concept of Production division. 

On 3/14/2017 at 10:38 PM, Vizorn said:

Well, since the gun is modular, you should be able to either put a current FS slide assembly on the X-5, or put the x-grip module on any current 320. I don't know if either of these options would would be good for SSP, or would knock you to ESP. 

Only isssue is the X5 is 5" and the FS is 4.7" so you'll either have to chop the X5 frame on a FS slide or figure a way to add 3/10ths to a FS grip. 

1 hour ago, Nick179 said:

Only isssue is the X5 is 5" and the FS is 4.7" so you'll either have to chop the X5 frame on a FS slide or figure a way to add 3/10ths to a FS grip. 

You would not have to do either of these. Take a look at the below P320 FS and take note of where the end of the barrel and slide line up with the grip module (flush). Then take a look at the X5 and you can see the barrel and slide were designed to over hang slightly. The grip module on the current FS and the X5 are the same length.

sig_p320-440x270.jpg

img_8931.jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 10:01 PM, alma said:

Sorry 

Yes but what other guns have a barrel bushing other than a 1911?? Clearly this rule was written with 1911 in mind... It is too vague.

12 hours ago, Sig0431 said:

You would not have to do either of these. Take a look at the below P320 FS and take note of where the end of the barrel and slide line up with the grip module (flush). Then take a look at the X5 and you can see the barrel and slide were designed to over hang slightly. The grip module on the current FS and the X5 are the same length.

sig_p320-440x270.jpg

img_8931.jpg

Glad to see that, for some reason I thought the x5 frame was full length. I must've been thinking of the carry model. Thanks for the correct info.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed the grip profile (wasn't paying attention, I know). Pretty much disqualifies me :-( With something that fat laterally up high, my thumb would end up nearly under the tang. And supposedly this frame was based off a current medium frame, which I can manage reasonably comfortably.

Y'all enjoy it when it gets here. I'll be envious.

images.jpeg

4 hours ago, gavagai said:

Just noticed the grip profile (wasn't paying attention, I know). Pretty much disqualifies me :-( With something that fat laterally up high, my thumb would end up nearly under the tang. And supposedly this frame was based off a current medium frame, which I can manage reasonably comfortably.

Y'all enjoy it when it gets here. I'll be envious.

images.jpeg

Give it a try when it gets here. If you are comfortable with the medium then this should still be good for you. Worst case it's fully compatible with the older style grips. 

On 3/28/2017 at 9:34 PM, LeviSS said:

What's it take to put a dot other than the Romeo on it?  Adapter plate?  How much higher does an adapter raise the dot?

I'm curious about this as well, with the current shortage of Romeo 1 optics and from what I've heard the DPP doesn't have the tendency to wash out on sunny days like the Romeo 1. We probably won't know until these are out in circulation and a 3rd party like Springer Precision builds an adapter plate.

I've also heard there is supposed to be a new batch of Romeo 1 optics out in May, if that's the case are these Gen 2 where the dot brightness may be increased to be on par with the DPP?

50 minutes ago, Bthomas said:

I'm curious about this as well, with the current shortage of Romeo 1 optics and from what I've heard the DPP doesn't have the tendency to wash out on sunny days like the Romeo 1. We probably won't know until these are out in circulation and a 3rd party like Springer Precision builds an adapter plate.

I've also heard there is supposed to be a new batch of Romeo 1 optics out in May, if that's the case are these Gen 2 where the dot brightness may be increased to be on par with the DPP?

With over 10,000 rounds on my Romeo 1 the brightness is my only complaint. I don't care if I have to put a new battery in once a month. 

One would think that if Sig is going to make the Romeo 1 the P320 X5 optic they would step it up. 

While I know that it has been publicly stated by Sig that the X5 will be compatible with the current P320, the one item I have not seen with the X5 is the magazine. Has anyone seen the mags used with the X5? While I would assume they are the same I just want to check to see if anyone knows for a fact that they are the same.

7 hours ago, Sig0431 said:

While I know that it has been publicly stated by Sig that the X5 will be compatible with the current P320, the one item I have not seen with the X5 is the magazine. Has anyone seen the mags used with the X5? While I would assume they are the same I just want to check to see if anyone knows for a fact that they are the same.

I have tested an existing 17 round mag with a TF 140 extension in the X5. It will take stand 17 round mags if you shave off the wings or use Springer Precision extensions. 

It ships with the 21 round mags.