Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

That pistol was a work up concept that was put together for SHOT.  Reports are that there was some drama at the mother-ship b/c it didn't jive with the modularity concept of the 320 series.  The 320 X-5 IS the production release of the "320 Target".  

I hope so. Looks very nice! The video I saw from shot the guy said late Feb. release. We'll find out very soon. I do worry a little that Sig will delay it as it needs to fulfill US Army obligations for p320's and parts. It's just total guessing on my part though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, BASE772 said:

Cool. Good to know. They should include at least four of the 17 round basepads in the box. 

You can't put the 17-rd X5 Carry/VTAC basepads on the 21-rd X5 mags.  The 21-rd mag bodies are full-length, not 17-rd with extentions.  Or did you mean just to include the new style so you can replace basepads on some 17-rd mags you already have?

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

You can't put the 17-rd X5 Carry/VTAC basepads on the 21-rd X5 mags.  The 21-rd mag bodies are full-length, not 17-rd with extentions.  Or did you mean just to include the new style so you can replace basepads on some 17-rd mags you already have?

I meant so one could replace base pads on mags we already have. Thanks for pointing that out. ?

But like you said they should make it available with the 17 rounds mags. 

6 minutes ago, alma said:

Or you could shave the wings off your current 17 rounders. Even better, get some Springer Precision plus zeros. 

This is all too weird, don't you think. It can't be an oversight - it's not like Phil Strader doesn't understand USPSA. There must be something more to this that we're not in on yet. I cannot believe shaving existing mags or buying new ones is Sig's strategy here, not even in my most pessimistic Sig-skeptical moments.

1 hour ago, gavagai said:

This is all too weird, don't you think. It can't be an oversight - it's not like Phil Strader doesn't understand USPSA. There must be something more to this that we're not in on yet. I cannot believe shaving existing mags or buying new ones is Sig's strategy here, not even in my most pessimistic Sig-skeptical moments.

It's possible that the 17 rounders with the newer "FBI" base plates don't fit in gun when the external magwell is attached. I can see why they might prefer to ship it with mags that work in either configuration.  The 21 rounders are still legal for the Carry Optics and it makes for an excellent 3 Gun option. Phil said they plan to ship 17 rounders with the newer base pads in March if you don't want to modify existing. 

What is the grip size like? How does it compare to the currently available grip modules? Is it like a medium, or more like a Large?

Just curious as I like the p320's offering of a Large grip module. Finally a gun I can use in Production that will fit my hands properly.

Also, is it possible to upgrade the normal P320 serial parts (the FFL chassis) to the X-Five, or are the critical parts all proprietary?

It's based on a medium grip but it's less round. Other sizes are a possibility. Phil mentioned that he has a prototype small. 

The FCU and trigger components are now identical to the rest of the line except for the shape of the trigger. SIG backed away from the Trigger design from the Target that would leave the FCU incompatible with everything else.. 

3 hours ago, Ridenemwild said:

Would this gun be legal in idpa? Maybe with normal p320 grip frame and 17 rd mags?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You could run the VTac or the X-Carry in IDPA since those don't have the bull barrel. 

So has the FCU on the X5 been tuned to lighten the trigger pull or is it the same as what is in the existing 320s, but with a straight trigger??  I was hoping it was ready for competition.  That would impact my decision to purchase.  

35 minutes ago, Blue Jacket said:

So has the FCU on the X5 been tuned to lighten the trigger pull or is it the same as what is in the existing 320s, but with a straight trigger??  I was hoping it was ready for competition.  That would impact my decision to purchase.  

Should be similar to existing P320s but with a reprofiled trigger. There were apparently multiple reasons for this which included cost, schedule, maintaining compatibility across the P320 line, and IPSC Production legality. Grayguns does have a drop in trigger that has been released that acts similar to a Glock 3.5lb connector, taking about 2lb off of the pull. They have additional work that they are performing in house to fit a new sear and reduced power sear springs etc. 

12 hours ago, twister said:

So, this gun won't be legal in IDPA? How about production?

The goal is for it to be Production Legal (without the extended magwell and extended magazines). Phil Strader said he plans to make 2,500 of them in February and will submit to DNROI for approval as soon as he has numbers. 

11 hours ago, alma said:

The goal is for it to be Production Legal (without the extended magwell and extended magazines). Phil Strader said he plans to make 2,500 of them in February and will submit to DNROI for approval as soon as he has numbers. 

Will the bull barrel production legal?

I'm really curious about the grip and how it feels in the hand. Will be hard to beat the 226 Legion SAO grip. 

I'm very glad they have the optional weight for the X-grip. I always thought the full size 320 was not balanced very well. Unlike the compact 320. 

1 hour ago, troupe said:

I hope to see someone make a brass replacement magwell for the X5,   hint, hint .  More weight is good.

You should take that request to Scott Springer. I think it's very possible.