Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load data needed

magpulled

I've got a 38 super comp and need to help with data for major.  I've got a load for 3n38 but want to see if a less expensive powder will work. I'll be loading a 124 grain precision delta  jhp with small pistol primers and starline brass. I'm open to any suggestions. Just need a starting point and I'll work it up. Really want to try hs-6 and maybe silhouette it those will work. 

Thanks in advance. 

I'd stick to slower powders. Try AA7 and 115 grain bullets. Or just use the 124s you have. Check for some load data on here for a starting point. It's cheaper but dirtier. It may clean up as you push up the Power factor. So try going for the 175 PF or more. Hs6 and SIL will be OK but they are a little faster. What kinda gun do you have? Honestly powder isn't that expensive. Compared to everything else. Powder valley has great prices. When you order bulk, the cost savings vs buying local wipes out the hazmat fee and then you can throw primers, bullets whatever on you order. 

18 hours ago, user293 said:

powder isn't that expensive. Compared to everything else.

Spending $30/lb may sound a LOT more expensive than $20/lb, but, as user293 mentioned,

if you break out the calculator and find the cost for the powder per 100 rounds - it's really

cheap compared to the bullets.

BUT, nothing wrong with looking for a better powder.   :) 

For 38SC I have used 3n38, WAC, A#7, and Silhouette among a few others. The two best for making that comp do its job noticeably better was 3n38 and A#7. Accuracy between the two were near identical, recoil impulse was less sharp and smoother with A#7 but not lazy. A#7 was considerably quieter than 3n38. A#7 seemed to recover my dot back on target a bit quicker. Then cost is considerably less for A#7. Either powder is a good choice but I personally would choose A#7 even if it was equal expense to 3n38.
My load is 10.1 gr A#7 behind a PD 124 JHP CCI SP mag. primers and assembled in the USA inside Starline brass. Velocity is 1380ish.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had great success with Winchester AutoComp.  7.60gr at 1.250 OAL with Precision Delta JHP in my SuperComp gets me consistently 169-170 power factor.  I also tried Accurate #7, 3N38, and N350, and the Vihtavouri's were good powders, but didn't see lot of difference in performance so figured why pay that much for powder when results were pretty much the same.

This is my load using HS-6, the PD 124 gr. JHP gives practically the same velocities when loaded about .005 inches longer.  I don't use HS-6 that much in my Super -  I've still got plenty of SR-4756 and N-105.

Gun:  STI Trubor
Bullet: Montana Gold 124 gr. JHP
Powder: Hodgdon HS-6 8.85 grs.
Primer: Winchester Small Rifle
Case: Starline 38 Super +P
LOAL: 1.240 (.976 with Stoney Point)
Avg. Vel.: 1409.57 fps
ES: 25.92
SD: 7.41
PF: 174
Recoil Spring: 8 lbs. with Dawson Aluma Buffer Pad