Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else see this with Blue Bullets?

Nimitz

As I prep to start shooting PCC I decided to check out Blue Bullets to see if there was a significant cost savings for me.  Turns out there is so I ordered a sample pack of 250 125g RN to try.  Also gave 25 to friend who is interested in them as well.  He weighed them last night in preparation of making some and here's what he found:

low 123.5

high 128.8

median 126.2

Since I'll be using these most likely exclusively for Steel Challenge that variation doesn't worry me too much as I'll be loading a fair bit above minor since I have an Gen II MPX. For use as a USPSA Production bullet that amount of variation would seem to be a concern.  Anyone else see this with their Blue Bullets?

I to have seen variations like this in almost every batch of blue bullets I've ordered. I emailed about the weight variance in a batch of 147gr flat points a few months ago. I'll attach a screenshot of the response I got. The weight variance is concerning but the variance in diameter is even more so. Website says they're sized to .355, but in MY experience they're more like .354 - .353. This was resulting is significant bullet set back when pushed against the loading bench. As we all know set back in a high pressure cartridge like the 9mm is a no no if you wanna keep your firearm and fingers all in one piece. I solved this by picking up an EGW underside die.

Hope this helps.

8c94fc46b9bc5ac5bfb17a38b80e8087.png

54 minutes ago, oteroman said:

What is your finding with other bullet manufacturers you have experience with to compare?

I've been using Extreme plated for the last 3 years and haven't seen variation move then .2 grains, and that's over 60,000 rds ...

I noticed the same swing in weights noted

1 hour ago, Nimitz said:

As I prep to start shooting PCC I decided to check out Blue Bullets to see if there was a significant cost savings for me.  Turns out there is so I ordered a sample pack of 250 125g RN to try.  Also gave 25 to friend who is interested in them as well.  He weighed them last night in preparation of making some and here's what he found:

low 123.5

high 128.8

median 126.2

Since I'll be using these most likely exclusively for Steel Challenge that variation doesn't worry me too much as I'll be loading a fair bit above minor since I have an Gen II MPX. For use as a USPSA Production bullet that amount of variation would seem to be a concern.  Anyone else see this with their Blue Bullets?

I plan to load so the lowest weight I find in a batch of 25 makes PF. I highly doubt it is perceivable so as long as the lightest bullet makes PF I don't put too much thought into it.

I noticed the same swing in weights noted

1 hour ago, Nimitz said:

low 123.5

high 128.8

median 126.2

I plan to load so the lowest weight I find in a batch of 25 makes PF. I highly doubt it is perceivable so as long as the lightest bullet makes PF I don't put too much thought into it.

I agree the solution is simple enough to ensure they all make PF but I just dislike the idea of having to crank up the PF anymore than necessary .... just been spoiled with Extremes ... I could always just put aside enough Extremes for use at any major where a Chrono will be involved .... it's not like I shoot that many of them these days if at all ...

I weighted a batch once, along with a equal number from BBI and SNS and the results were all fairly similar. I doubt I could find that info now it's been a while. I wasn't seeing the spread you are showing with either of them. I've loaded around 30k plus blue bullets now, I have found a couple that clearly something went wrong casting. When I picked it up it was off shape like the mold didn't fill up. Not sure how light those where I just tossed them.

I've never had a problem at chrono which is the only time I weight anymore. the lightest I've been is .5 under. Typically they are more like .5 or so over.

I started using Blue Bullets 147 RN this year, so I did a bit of analysis with the order of 3,000 bullets that I purchased back in December.

My sample population size was 60 bullets, all from the same box, and my scale is a GemPro 250.

The average weight for those 60 bullets was 151.17 grains, with a minimum value of 149.65 grains and a maximum value of 153.30 grains, for an extreme spread of 3.65 grains.

The diameter was consistent at 0.354". By the way, I checked some of my Zero 147 JHP bullets, and they also had a consistent diameter of 0.354".

That is my story, and I am sticking to it...

thx for the info.  I'm more inclined to be concerned about any diameter variance than weight for all the reasons cited below.  At the moment I'm still inclined to go ahead with the purchase since 5.9 cents/rd vice 7.5 is significant ...

I have never noticed more than a few 10th's of a grain difference in weight. that can be for any number of reasons in the metallurgy. I even get a few tenths off with sierra match king rifle bullets too.

Yes I'm on the blue bullets shooting team. I asked to join after shooting their bullets and finding them to make solid power factor and a few batches having consistent coatings and good prices along with very fast shipping. Since then I've shot a lot of them. but have not seen more than a gain difference in weight most of the time.

We bought 100k of 9-125 rn and have loaded about 20k. Yes there's a variation between about 124-127 but don't really care about that. Saving 20% equates to more shooting for us. Main thing I suggest is shooting them thru your gun to check accuracy. They shot best in our 38sc and ok in 3- 9major guns. One 9 major refuses to shoot them with any consistency. Other issue that took us awhile to sort was bullet topple finally figured out we were using too much one shot on the cases and now load them fairly dry.

I use 147gn Blue bullets in my Wilson Combat AR9G.  The variation is 0.2  148gn-150gn with a 14.5 barrel at 25 yards off a bench rest they will shoot under a 3/4" group.  My load is just for the AR9,  2.5gn  N310  @ 1.150  132pf.  Sd  4 & ES 9.   This same load is only 118pf out of my Accu-Shadow.