Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Number of magazines for Limited

tanks

I recently acquired an STI Edge to tide me over until my SVI gets ready and then it will be a backup. I am currently shooting a CZ TS, but wanted a backup that would not require different OAL ammo than primary.

I have 5 mags. Do you think that is sufficient for a match and unforeseen circumstances? One possible reason I can think of having more is never having to use a mag I drop later in the match.

If you recommend getting more, whose body, guts and pads? There seems to be tons of choices. STI or MBX for the body. TTI, MBX, Grams etc. for the guts and pads. Not having owned a true 2011 before I have no idea about pros and cons of various vendors.

Thanks in advance.

I have 5 mags overall.  I keep 3 on my belt and my make ready starting mag in my back pocket. 

If I were buying brand new mags, I would go MBX and be done with it.  If you already have STI magazines, I really like the TTI baseplate and internals.  I get 21 rounds as a starting point and 20 reloadable with STI body and TTI extras. 

At local matches I use 3 mags and have them on my belt. Load with the back one at make ready, then put it back in it's pouch and insert the 2nd mag into the gun. Then I have 2 mags of my belt for use, plus the one in the gun. 

For major matches I use 4 mags and have them all on my belt and use almost the same process as above but insert the 3rd mag into the gun at the start. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Malfunctions, dropped mag on a reload, too many misses on steel with targets still to shoot etc can all go wrong under major match conditions. 

I carry 3 magazines on my belt, but I have 5 in my bag. All of the magazines are MBX magazines and I have yet to tweak them besides numbering them in case one starts having problems down the line. I recently switched from an M&P to an STI Edge so they may need to be tweaked later. My back magazine is my starting magazine. My middle magazine is my barney magazine and my emergency reload magazine. The front most magazine is my reload magazine. I have shot a couple of matches requiring up to 42 rounds and that setup has worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I carry 3 on the belt and one in the gun. Every now and then reloading twice is a better option than trying to push it and only doing one reload, and the extra mag is in case I fumble a reload. I dont vary this I always carry the same number of mags just to be consistent.

My first year running limited I had 4 STI mags that I tuned myself using the Dawson Tuning kit with Grams followers & springs and DP base pads. Rotated all 4 through the matches carrying 3 at a time. They ran and still run 100%. I have recently switched out the base pads for TTI.

I have started using MBX last year with 3 and take the STI mags as backups. Same thing they run 100%.

I'm glad I started with tuning mags myself as I learned a lot about how they operate as a system which can help with troubleshooting down the road. They are also a bit cheaper. However, you can save time by getting MBXs, the tubes are better quality, but you spend a bit more coin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk