Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 has won Army's MHS program

Rudukai13

On 1/19/2017 at 11:15 PM, mrgrabow said:

I am curious though, what were the problems with the M9 which warranted a wholesale replacement?

Functionally the biggest problem I saw prior to switching platforms was locking blocks that failed regularly.  Also saw a couple slides break in half.  Beyond that some shooters had issues during malfunction drills, where the "slap, rack, shoot" resulted in the safety getting activated inadvertently.  Most wouldn't notice it until the next trigger pull didn't go bang.  Ergonomics could be improved, and the long DA pull could be reduced.  On a positive note there isn't much recoil to contend with, the single action trigger pull is pretty good, and I always thought they were pretty accurate.

But hey, it's been over 30 years and the units that really shoot a lot of pistols have moved on years ago.  Guess the big Army figured it was time to upgrade.

Edited by LegionShooter
I can't spell

On 1/23/2017 at 2:08 PM, Magsz said:

I heard many years ago in a video released by Beretta stating that the M9A3 could be produced for LESS than what they're currently selling the M9 to the military for.

Perhaps that was an overly optimistic assessment? As it stands, the M9A3 retails for over a grand.  Im assuming this is due to demand but the MSRP is still up there.

The 320 retails for a whole heck of a lot less than the M9A3 so perhaps the realities of cost were factored into the decision to go with the 320?

Perhaps.  I find it hard to believe that any quality metal framed pistol could be produced for less than a comparable quality plastic pistol.  However, with the M9A3, there would be no cost (time, money, resources) spent on training new armorers or retraining soldiers or buying new parts or holsters or mags because the old ones aren't compatible.

Regardless, time moves on and the M9 had to be replaced eventually.  I suppose that anytime a company other than Glock gets a big award, it's good for the firearms industry because it keeps competition alive and well.  I don't think this will have an overwhelming effect on the LE market since SIG just lost the FBI award to Glock (after the P320 supposedly failed the trial... or so says the internet) and LE seems to be very confident in the decisions of the Feds based on the mass migration from 9mm to .40 and then from the .40 back to 9mm again.

On 1/20/2017 at 0:15 AM, mrgrabow said:

I am curious though, what were the problems with the M9 which warranted a wholesale replacement?

I was issued the berreta for 5 yrs and the only virtue it had was accuracy. Two years ago we switched to the M&P9 and I couldnt be happier. I believe the P320 is a goid choice for the military. The issues I had with the M9 are,

The safety/decocker

Grip size/shape

2 broken locking blocks

Heavy to carry for 12hrs day

Da/Sa trigger

I really disliked the M9 and do not miss it at all. My preferance for lighter striker fired pistols seems to run parralel to the new military standard for sidearms. Im sure the P320 will be liked better than the M9.

• 3 weeks later...