Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching to Open......Any advise that you wish you knew before you switched?

Sporky

I am moving to the dark side and I was wondering what advice people might have on the subject.  I am moving from Limited so I am hoping that it won't be too crazy of a transition for me.

So what things did  you wish you knew sooner when you switched?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to find the dot while getting into weird positions.  It's easy enough to learn to find the dot when drawing to an open target, but often you're running, then leaning around a wall, crouching into a port, etc.  The dot doesn't always show up the same, so practice those odd positions.

read as much info as you can on here. if you got questions about guns, mags, 9 major or 38 super, gear, loads for your gun etc. its all on here. maybe you already have checked all this out but if you havent, search and read

33 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Learn to find the dot while getting into weird positions.  It's easy enough to learn to find the dot when drawing to an open target, but often you're running, then leaning around a wall, crouching into a port, etc.  The dot doesn't always show up the same, so practice those odd positions.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Even after a year of shooting Open, I still sometimes have an issue finding the dot after an odd start position.  I shot a stage last month where you had to crouch with your palms low on the barricade.  That little change did something to how I presented the gun and left me searching for the dot for what felt like an eternity.

A couple of other lessons I've learned along the way:

- Test any change you make before using it in a match.  I've done some things I didn't think would be an issue that really screwed up a match for me.  I took my comp off once the night before a match to bead blast it which threw my zero off by nearly a foot.  I also installed a *thumb rest [generic]* that just slightly interfered with my holster and didn't realize it until the first draw at speed.  

- Develop a load and stick with it.  You can waste a lot of time trying different powders and bullets instead of focusing on practice.

- Check your grip/optic mount screws and make sure your compensator is still tight after every match.  Open guns have a tendency to work parts loose frequently.

- And finally, start saving for a new top end now.  Open Gun Slides break and barrels wear out sooner than you expect. 

As far as finding the dot, dry fire worked really well at figuring that out.

Thats the most dry fire I ever did.lol

Just draw until it's automatic. Then go prone, weak hand, strong hand around corners, moving across the room etc.

And then do weak hand a lot more! :)

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

As far as finding the dot, dry fire worked really well at figuring that out.

Thats the most dry fire I ever did.lol

Just draw until it's automatic. Then go prone, weak hand, strong hand around corners, moving across the room etc.

And then do weak hand a lot more! :)

Amen to weak hand practice!  For me, at least, it was much harder to "find the dot" weak hand than anything else, even after switching to a microdot scope (RTS2), which made it easier.  Grip was the most important factor - if the grip is right, it's a lot easier to find the dot.

19 hours ago, Sporky said:

I am moving to the dark side and I was wondering what advice people might have on the subject.

Depends on how serious you are about shooting?    :huh:

Are you an A or higher shooter?

How many matches do you make a year?   How many large matches?

If you're a casual shooter (local matches, only) - just practice - get the ammo

right and the gun functioning (nothing worse than having a Race gun that

doesn't Race).    :bow:

IF you are an A or higher - get a 2nd gun and  experiment  with Everything -

the comp, the loads, etc.    :) 

54 minutes ago, teros135 said:

No, the solution is to buy a quality gun in the first place (not necessarily expensive, but made well).

Agree! Sure Open guns can be finicky but it's our job to feed and care for them and give them what they want.

If I make good ammo and keep them clean, my guns just run and run.

17 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Agree! Sure Open guns can be finicky but it's our job to feed and care for them and give them what they want.

Exactly!  Ammo.  Do the development, find what works in your gun, make it carefully and professionally, and be consistent.  There are probably more problems from ammo and mags than anything else, assuming that the gun is set up properly.  

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

No, the solution is to buy a quality gun in the first place (not necessarily expensive, but made well).

21 minutes ago, Sarge said:

My comment was kind of a joke, but the fact of the matter that things can happen even to quality guns.  I've experienced this first hand.  I recommend a quality gun and backup if you plan on shooting any major matches.

Having two guns (Limited and Open) isn't all bad. I go to a couple of small ranges where they repeat the course of fire (re-entry). I'll use the Limited gun for one, and the Open gun for the other. The holster and mag pouches work with both. Like Doublemint gum. Double your pleasure, double you fun.  :D

Edited by MikieM

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Depends on how serious you are about shooting?    :huh:

Are you an A or higher shooter?

How many matches do you make a year?   How many large matches?

If you're a casual shooter (local matches, only) - just practice - get the ammo

right and the gun functioning (nothing worse than having a Race gun that

doesn't Race).    :bow:

IF you are an A or higher - get a 2nd gun and  experiment  with Everything -

the comp, the loads, etc.    :) 

I am just about to be A class in limited

You could say I am serious, yes.

I make one match a weekend (usually) and we are planning on 4 majors this season

I am saving up for a full custom gun now, and I have a SPS gun at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the advise, I appreciate it.

The money part of it is killing me at the moment. Switching everything over to open is expensive.

Mine is 38 super, where do most of you get your brass from?

3 hours ago, MikieM said:

Having two guns (Limited and Open) isn't all bad. I go to a couple of small ranges where they repeat the course of fire (re-entry). I'll use the Limited gun for one, and the Open gun for the other. The holster and mag pouches work with both. Like Doublemint gum. Double your pleasure, double you fun.  :D

:o...... WHAT HE SAID!