Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching to Open......Any advise that you wish you knew before you switched?

Sporky

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 12:26 PM, Sporky said:

I am moving to the dark side and I was wondering what advice people might have on the subject.  I am moving from Limited so I am hoping that it won't be too crazy of a transition for me.

So what things did  you wish you knew sooner when you switched?

Thanks in advance

I had a lot of trouble finding the dot in the early years what helped the most is when the roll over mount for the cmore came, now I can just look at the target and bring the gun up as there is very little offset much like a limited gun

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure others said this but I'm not reading the whole thread. This was my first full season of open. My suggestion is skip it and shoot CO. It costs wayyyyyyy less and if you're very good, you can beat open shooters with CO. It happens all the time around here. Only the shooter does production and beats GMs in open..

Well I was the one that started this thread, and now I have one whole season in open.

This is the class that I was always supposed to be shooting and I have had several people tell me as much.  I started placing much higher in matches after about a month or so of shooting open.  Not just because of the capacity, but because I could finally go as fast as I wanted to. My trigger finger speed is still holding me back a bit, but I am working on that as best as I can.  I haven't really found much advise for speeding up my trigger finger, but I am still blasting away at it.  For the people that think that open is "easy" I would beg to differ.  There are no excuses and nothing to blame your performance on, so it is all on you.  I really like that aspect of it.  I can be as good as I want to be if I invest the time.  This season I used to just get a feel for the pace and getting used to the dot.  If I can find the time with two small kids and a crazy wife, I will get some practice in the off season and really make a run at Master class for the season.

Dry fire would be my recommendation for anyone getting into Open.  OR like someone else said, try Carry Optics instead and see if you like the dot.  My shooting buddy switched to CO and he is shooting much better. He has some issues with his eyes that was really holding him back.  

Look out next season...........Here I come

i also have few friends whose speed of movement  is faster  than the speed of their thought  :lol:

1 hour ago, Jumprun13k said:

I heard some great advice from a GM Open shooter a few weeks back. Don't forget that while you get to go faster, you also have to think faster. 

That was right after I blew past a target of course. 

it's  just a matter of concentration  . it could  happen to anyone.

thinking  is something that causes  a lot of problems and complication in life.;)

15 hours ago, yigal said:

i also have few friends whose speed of movement  is faster  than the speed of their thought  :lol:

it's  just a matter of concentration  . it could  happen to anyone.

thinking  is something that causes  a lot of problems and complication in life.;)

Truth!

While I was waiting in a limited gun to be built I tried carry optics for a few months. The dot really works for me. I prefer iron sights but I’m doing fairly well in Carry Optics lately. So I’m considering just going to open for the next season.

I’ve shot a few matches with a buddy’s gun and I feel as slow as Christmas but I would agree you have to move and think fast. It’s a different game. Especially when you are competing against really good open shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot comes down to stage planning. And know how your going to shoot the stage.  I still mess up on that as I have a plan, then shoot it and then see a better person shoot it see a angle that I never saw. I hate going first. 

19 minutes ago, Steelix said:

A lot comes down to stage planning. And know how your going to shoot the stage.  I still mess up on that as I have a plan, then shoot it and then see a better person shoot it see a angle that I never saw. I hate going first. 

Don't we all... 

don't afraid shoot first . try think creative 

let others copy what u do .this will give u confidence  and u will improve  yours skills.

try do what u planned , because most shooters try copy top shooters.and they are only people and they can also make mistakes ;)

I think carry optics is the place to be if you are apprehensive about the "speed" that you need to shoot in open to do well.

Since it is minor scoring, Alpha's are the only way to go.  I'm not saying you can't be fast in CO, but it isn't the same as open.

If CO was at the point that it is now when I started shooting open, I would have shot that instead of open.  But now I am full on dark side and Open is the only way to go for me

#Dotlife

3 hours ago, Sporky said:

I think carry optics is the place to be if you are apprehensive about the "speed" that you need to shoot in open to do well.

Since it is minor scoring, Alpha's are the only way to go.  I'm not saying you can't be fast in CO, but it isn't the same as open.

If CO was at the point that it is now when I started shooting open, I would have shot that instead of open.  But now I am full on dark side and Open is the only way to go for me

#Dotlife

it looks like one way road ;)

On 11/1/2017 at 3:12 PM, yigal said:

don't afraid shoot first . try think creative 

let others copy what u do .this will give u confidence  and u will improve  yours skills.

try do what u planned , because most shooters try copy top shooters.and they are only people and they can also make mistakes ;)

I ended up going first in my squad again at are Thursday night match. I shot my plan and ended up 5th in that stage over all.  Even after the rest of my squad shot I don't think I would have shot it different. Thanks. 

On 10/31/2017 at 3:13 PM, Jumprun13k said:

I heard some great advice from a GM Open shooter a few weeks back. Don't forget that while you get to go faster, you also have to think faster. 

That was right after I blew past a target of course. 

If you visualize your stage plan correctly there should be no thinking or planning on the fly. You already know what the stage is going to look like and you just execute. 

21 hours ago, teros135 said:

Why, sure, it's just that easy.  No thinking, just keep pulling the trigger!

it's never over until  it's over.   positive thinking  !  only 7 min. from tt. world cup 2 weeks ago. try  to  see it  from start

Edited by yigal

On 11/3/2017 at 7:36 AM, HoMiE said:

If you visualize your stage plan correctly there should be no thinking or planning on the fly. You already know what the stage is going to look like and you just execute. 

Except you have to fully execute your stage plan. That requires some thinking as you remember it. 

But, to your point, changing a stage plan on the fly is not a good idea.