Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What upgrades for Tanfo Limited?

LeviSS

One thing that bugs me is the left hand side extended safety is sharp on the bottom and digs into my support hand thumb.

Will it take the finish off and look terrible if I filed the edges of the safety round?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, LeviSS said:

One thing that bugs me is the left hand side extended safety is sharp on the bottom and digs into my support hand thumb.

Will it take the finish off and look terrible if I filed the edges of the safety round?

I plan on doing this, so we will see.

12 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I plan on doing this, so we will see.

Please let me know when you do.

It's not a huge deal, it just gets annoying after dry firing a bunch.

I tried the EGD grips.  They are much better than the wooden grips.  I don't mind the thinness, but I wish they had a little palm swell.  They are really flat.  I think I'll try Hennings next and see what I think.  I'm hoping Lok comes out with some that will fit soon.

Edited by LeviSS

2 hours ago, LeviSS said:

Please let me know when you do.

It's not a huge deal, it just gets annoying after dry firing a bunch.

I tried the EGD grips.  They are much better than the wooden grips.  I don't mind the thinness, but I wish they had a little palm swell.  They are really flat.  I think I'll try Hennings next and see what I think.  I'm hoping Lok comes out with some that will fit soon.

If you like palm swell, you won't like Henning's. Short of the EGD they are your flattest and thinnest option. Otherwise they were great though!

Does the Henning magwell blend better than the factory magwell?

The factory one leaves little ledges around the edges and gives the front lip just enough to hang up on.

Can the grip opening be filed on to blend better with the magwell?  Will it wreck the finish?  How do you do it?

Yes you can file on either the magwell or the grip. Yes, it will remove the finish anywhere you do so. But leaving it alone and hammering mags into it is going to screw the finish up anyway. I've never seen a competition pistol owned by someone higher than C-class that wasn't beat to hell from 'reload rash.'

Hand file. Dremel with a sanding drum on it. Pick your poison.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Yeah...It's already getting beat up quite a bit.  I'm sure I'll get over the newness soon enough.

This thing is definitely harder to reload than my CZ.  With the SP-01, if you got it in the "magwell" at all it would go in.  This thing has a hitch in it.  If the mag is a little off front to back or side to side it gets locked up.  I'm sure it's a training issue and I'll get used to it, but it is kinda annoying to have slower (or at least on par) reload with a gun with a real magwell.

That's not unusual.

As mentioned here:

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/244615

The Tanfo is unusual. Most guns have a frame opening that is straight all the way down it, and the correct size to retain the magazine. Glock. M&P. SIG. etc.

Those guns reload the way your used to. But the Tanfo is different...

The inside of the frame is a cavern compared to the magazine. Stick your finger in there and feel right where the bottom of the grip panel is. There's a lip around the bottom of the inside, there. Both sides. Front and rear, too. Past that, its 1/4" wider and deeper. 

What holds the magazine in place in the frame is the magazine catch, contact at the top, and that ridge around the bottom.

If you insert a magazine at an angle, the tip of it will insert past that point, then the body will get jammed in that choke point. Now that I pointed it out, it'll be obvious.

I carved most of it out of my gun. She reloads like a boss, now. But there's (GASP!) nothing but bare chewed-up metal to be seen on the bottom of my gun. So you've gotta get over the cosmetics.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 2/14/2017 at 2:44 AM, LeviSS said:

Just as an update...The Henning magwell is much better.  Blends pretty good, good enough for me anyway, and it does away with stupid cut out that the factory has on the front.

I'll second the henning magwell. It paired with their short length grips works well and looks great. I did find out though that if the magwell isn't installed absolutely centered (front to back) that full magazines tend to not fully seat and fall out just as you are going for that first array. Happened to me at LAMR and during the reload in the middle of a stage a few weeks ago. Oops

4 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

I'll second the henning magwell. It paired with their short length grips works well and looks great. I did find out though that if the magwell isn't installed absolutely centered (front to back) that full magazines tend to not fully seat and fall out just as you are going for that first array. Happened to me at LAMR and during the reload in the middle of a stage a few weeks ago. Oops

I found out that I better loc-tite the magwell screw yesterday during practice.  The magwell loosened some and slid forward, locking my magazine into the gun.  I had to lock the slide back and use a casing to shove it out from the top.

This was with the Henning IPSC pad.  The set screw on the pad wedged in the magwell, locking it up.  I thought I'd like the shorter mag for a reload, but I don't like the set screw design and it's barely long enough to get a good "seat" on the mag during reloads.  I much prefer the Henning limited base pads, even for reloads.

• 4 months later...