Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What upgrades for Tanfo Limited?

LeviSS

I've read a lot about the what parts to upgrade/polish/modify on the DA guns, Stock, Lim Pro, etc, but have seen very little about the single action Tanfos.

What parts, springs, etc should be upgraded on a Limited?

What are the "must do" changes and what are the maybe not really needed, but top of the line upgrades?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will the purpose of the gun be? I guessing a match blaster.

BOLO works, @johnbu did a thread on how to fit one. I would leave the hammer spring alone if possible. In single action polishing isn't going to be as apparent as double action with a long gritty pull. 

Shoot it first though so you ha e an idea of what you want to change. Just getting a new gun and changing it right away is lame. See if it shoots good first.

Edited by ryridesmotox

1) polish!  firing pin, fpb, trigger bar and hammer strut. Sear pin, hammer pins.

2) polish!  the rails by slathering compound in the bare stripped slide rails and stripped frame.  rack it 100x pushing down on the slide, then 100x pulling up.

3) shoot it...a lot.

4) if you want a lighter trigger  PD sear spring and trigger spring.

5) shoot it...more.

The bolo will change it by shortening reset and eliminating pre-travel. But NEEDS the titan hammer or you will be fiddling to fit it and odds are it won't be as good.

I would shoot it close to stock for a bit. Some green or orange zombie paint on the front sight (or a FO).  Grip tape is a cheap way to improve the grips (or new grips).  Optimized Springs from PD are an inexpensive upgrade.

The nice thing about grip tape and a paint pen is that they are a cheap way to upgrade the gun.

A good holster is a must.  Since you are shooting limited division a race holster is a nice upgrade over a standard drop holster.  I use the CR speed WSM 2, it really makes you faster regardless of skill level.

Just now, billthemarine2862 said:

...a race holster is a nice upgrade over a standard drop holster.  I use the CR speed WSM 2, it really makes you faster regardless of skill level.

Tell that to Bob Vogel. ;)

I've actually seen more and more highly competitive Limited guys going to kydex holsters for reliability and simplicity reasons, although race holsters are still much more common.

this year i plan on shooting budget Limited division with a Tanfo Limited and purchased an DAA alpha-x holster for it.  Dry fire with it has been somewhat of a challenge because race holsters are new to me, and plan on giving the test this weekend at a match. Although i don't have complete confidence it the new holster i'll give it a whirl.  you may see it in the classifieds soon, i think i'm faster with kydex.

I used a kydex up until this season. Personally I am faster from the buzzer to first shot now.  I am able to position the holster in a way that I never could with a drop holster.  I did 1,000 dry fire draws in the mirror before I even took it to the range in order to get comfortable drawing and seating my pistol.

I think it is too new to determine reliability  (I keep my old drop holster in my range bag just in case).

I am not worried about retention though. I have spent some quality time chasing my dog around the back yard with my pistol locked down in the holster.  It does not move at all.

14 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

I'm gonna stick with kydex.

I know for sure I'm gonna replace the front sight with a Dawson FO.  Anyone know what height I'll need?

I'm also planning on a Henning cone fit guide rod.

I like the Henning FO front a bit better than the Dawson, though I have a lot more experience email with the Dawson. The Henning places the FO right near the top of the sight while the Dawson leaves a bit of black. That may be your preference, but I tend to put the dot at the top of the rear notch so this works better for me.

One other aspect of the Henning sight is that it exposes more of the fiber optic rod than the Dawson. This makes the optic brighter but also more vulnerable to damage. That's a tradeoff, but I break the rods frequently with the Dawson sights so it's not a huge problem to me.

I use a 160 on my S3.  Wish I had gotten the 140.  I have had no issues with the rear sight with the 160 but,  I do see why the rear sight is prone to breakage.

I can't compare the Dawson vs. the Henning. I use Dawson sights on all my guns, great prices, free shipping, good customer service, and he is in the Motherland (Texas).

Edited by billthemarine2862

34 minutes ago, billthemarine2862 said:

I use a 160 on my S3.  Wish I had gotten the 140.  I have had no issues with the rear sight with the 160 but,  I do see why the rear sight is prone to breakage.

Is it chambered in .40s&w?

4 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I like the Henning FO front a bit better than the Dawson, though I have a lot more experience email with the Dawson. The Henning places the FO right near the top of the sight while the Dawson leaves a bit of black. That may be your preference, but I tend to put the dot at the top of the rear notch so this works better for me.

One other aspect of the Henning sight is that it exposes more of the fiber optic rod than the Dawson. This makes the optic brighter but also more vulnerable to damage. That's a tradeoff, but I break the rods frequently with the Dawson sights so it's not a huge problem to me.

Thanks Candice.  Did you ever make a follow up YouTube video about the Limited?

What height sights did you get?

4 hours ago, billthemarine2862 said:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-elite-limited-9mm/

Not sure how the price compares but Ben Stoeger has it in 9mm.

I wouldn't count on it.  I was going to order this Limited in 40 from them.  Their website said they had it, I called, it was out of stock.  They called EAA and it was on indefinite back order.  I ended up ordering from Buds today.

Does the Limited come with a fiber optic sight?  I think I read a description of it today and it said it came with 2 front sights...A black and a FO.  I've read so much today that I might be mixing things up.

Edited by LeviSS

Does the Limited come with a fiber optic sight?  I think I read a description of it today and it said it came with 2 front sights...A black and a FO.  I've read so much today that I might be mixing things up.

Mine did come with the FO along with 2 recoil springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, LeviSS said:

Thanks Candice.  Did you ever make a follow up YouTube video about the Limited?

What height sights did you get?

I will be filming the first follow up video on Sunday. I finally got the gun back from Henning (money was tight) with basically everything possible done to the gun. I'll be doing some more vids focusing in on individual features and parts. Like talking about sights, grips, triggers, hammers, etc. Probably a bunch of rambling messes but might help a few people decide what might work for them.

I have .140 and .160 height sights on my Stock II's, and they are .100 wide. I wouldn't get the .140 as they don't give as wide a range of adjustment as the .160. The Henning site on my Limited is 180 x .105 but my calipers say .100 wide.

47 minutes ago, zx9rt1 said:

Mine did come with the FO along with 2 recoil springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FO from the factory is awful. The optic rod is too fat, the sight is un-serrated, and it's too wide. It is a free sight, and is better than the weak base sight. Either way, I think replacing the sight with a quality aftermarket one is non-negotiable.