Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr

chief74

The only way to "verify" that would be to shoot it with your gun using a chronograph.

Barrel length will affect velocity as well as barrel condition, barrel dia, chember dia, OAL, possibly temp, distance from muzzle to chronograph, altitude, etc.

Edited by TDA

3.9 would be at or over max charge. I use 3.0 on a 5" barrel gun and 3.4 on a 4.5" barrel gun. Be careful and check your load data with titegroup. It is a very fast powder the difference in min and max charges for me where about 1/2 a grain apart

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just now, Religious Shooter said:

Is this from experience?  You shot a stage with bullets loaded with TG and it was too hot to handle at the end of the stage?  What caliber?

In a 929, actually   Yes, It was DAMN hot and I'd get burned by the forcing cone.  The cylinder was hot as hell too.  9mm, 160 grain Bayou bullets and 124.  Never liked 147 in revolvers, they don't load that great.  

1 hour ago, johniac7078 said:

In a 929, actually   Yes, It was DAMN hot and I'd get burned by the forcing cone.  The cylinder was hot as hell too.  9mm, 160 grain Bayou bullets and 124.  Never liked 147 in revolvers, they don't load that great.  

So which powder are you using that doesn't make the revolver unusable?

2 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

So which powder are you using that doesn't make the revolver unusable?

I've run 3.6gr of Titegroup and 3.7gr of N320 under Berry's 147gr plated round nosed bullets in my S&W 929 to make ~900fps.  After ~200 rounds the cylinder and forcing cone is noticeably cooler with the N320.   The best load though was 3.4gr N320 under a 38sp 158gr Berrys plated round nose bullet loaded into a 9mm case @ 1.170".  Gave me a nice soft 840fps.

3 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

Is this from experience?  You shot a stage with bullets loaded with TG and it was too hot to handle at the end of the stage?  What caliber?

TG is widely known for this. Being a dual-base powder it's burn temperature is very high. This is the same reason it causes much more smoke that cooler-burning powders under leads round, or the oldschool moly-coated bullets.

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

TG is widely known for this. Being a dual-base powder it's burn temperature is very high. This is the same reason it causes much more smoke that cooler-burning powders under leads round, or the oldschool moly-coated bullets.

I know that its purported to be hotter burning.  I don't think it is well known that you shouldn't be using it in a competition revolver because you literally can't finish a stage without burning your self.

I tried TG in 38 Spl for Bowling Pins. These were +P level loads with 173 gr Keith design bullet I cast myself. I had one pin lay down on me, so it took a reload, and a total of 8 shots to clear the table. My 686 was so hot that I could have branded cattle with it after the eight rapidly fired shots. I had a similar issue with my XD in the 9mm match. By the time I got home I had blisters on a couple of fingers, probably from the reload. That ended my experimentation with TG. I gave the rest of the four pounder away a couple of years later, I decided it just wasn't going to work for my style of shooting. The accuracy was really nice though.

I'm a bottom-feeder shooter, but Nobel Sport Priam V is nearly as clean as N320, shoots at least as softly, and is easily available through Grafs and Powder Valley at a really good price.

I paid $178 shipped for 11 pounds when PV was doing a free hazmat deal on 10 1.1 pound jugs.