Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great STI Customer Service

gerritm

I have a 38 super DVC. I have had a few small issues with it. Gun is at about 5K rounds. Extractor, ejector replaced, been running pretty good lately. Once in awhile I still have an extraction issue type jam that could be brass. All in all I have been happy with it. Many STI/DVC bashers but I like the looks, feels, handles, and it is local here in Texas. Price was right.

2 weeks ago I cleaned it after a match and found a hairline crack in the comp from the first top port to the first side port. Very small, but there could see the smoke residue. Trubor type 1 piece barrel/comp. Called STI warranty spoke to them and sent an e-mail. Promptly answered by Ryan. Sent a shipping label & RA# by email. Shipped it out that day.

Sent a note with the issues I have had and requested that if they swap the barrel out to change it to 9mm instead of 38 super. Tired of chasing brass & we load 9mm for my son's DVC 3-gun.

Saw by tracking they received it and waited a couple of days to send a follow up email. Ryan again answered promptly and said no problem with the swap out. Couple of days later he called and said they would have to ship it back to my FFL because of the caliber change. No problem. Sent me a tracking# next day and it arrived yesterday, total time from problem to getting it back about 2 weeks.

They replaced the slide, barrel, and all internal slide parts including taking out the 38S Aftec and putting a tuned 9mm extractor and new ejector back. New slide racker, I sent a 140mm 38 super mag for testing and they sent back that mag plus a new 140mm 9mm mag. Gun looks great and I will be testing it this tomorrow and running it in a couple of matches this weekend if the rain ever stops.

Great CS STI.

gerritm

I second this post.  I just recently sent in my DVC Limited for some warranty work (hard chrome was beginning to come off).  After a few emails back and forth with Zane, I was given a shipping label and they handled it from there.  Overall I had good communication and a great experience.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another STI knowing how they back up their products.

Guessing with the number of pistols they produce and sell compared to a small custom shop I am sure they have their fair share of problems. Don't hear a lot from happy customers, just problem ones.

gerritm

It seems they have gotten better lately on replacement. I'm surprised they changed out barrels at one point I tried to buy one for my Dvc 38sc and was told no can do. Few months ago they replaced a Dvc 9 of a friend due to cracks. His replacement worked better out of box. I'm hoping they sorted most of the early issues with the Dvc as I just bought another one to try out. Time will tell

A follow up to this. Tested the new barrel Friday with my major loads. Liked the one around 168PF. Shot a couple up to 175PF that were nice and flat, but really stung my hands. Even ran some lighter 160 PF loads and some hotter factory loads. Ran everything I had with no failures. Had to move the zero slightly.

Shot roughly 200 rounds in a USPSA match Sunday with 2 failures. Both were high primers. Other than that it ran perfect. Really happy with the barrel change and STI.

gerritm

You didn't mention if any of this has cost you.

Who paid for shipping to them, and then back to you? If I have to ship through an FFL it costs me $40 each way, plus shipping costs.

The reason I'm asking is: My new DVC has been nothing but a pain in the rear. Feeding problems, extraction problems, etc. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have bought the gun.

Put me down as a dissatisfied customer.

48 minutes ago, MikieM said:

You didn't mention if any of this has cost you.

Who paid for shipping to them, and then back to you? If I have to ship through an FFL it costs me $40 each way, plus shipping costs.

The reason I'm asking is: My new DVC has been nothing but a pain in the rear. Feeding problems, extraction problems, etc. If I had it to do over I wouldn't have bought the gun.

Put me down as a dissatisfied customer.

Call customer service and they will send you paper work to return the gun,no cost,just time..

No cost to me for anything. I contacted STI CS thru their website email and they contacted me back by email within a day or so and took care of everything. Once they sent me a RA with a shipping label I could send it UPS 2nd day without bringing it to an FFL. The only reason it went back to my FFL was because of the caliber change, but they paid for shipping. I paid for the FFL transfer($10.00).

I sent a list of all my concerns and the few parts I replaced (extractor & ejector) and they addressed them all. Replacing all of the parts with new. Sent back the 38 super Aftec.

Have you contacted them? PM me and I will give you the name of the CS person who helped me.

gerritm

• 6 months later...

I got my DVC Open in 38 S in March 2016 off of Gunbroker. After firing 3 rounds in a BRAND NEW GUN, it locked up tighter than Dick's hatband.  I had to beat the slide off of the frame to inspect, then the slide would not even go back on to the frame.  At this point, I couldn't see right through my tears and was thinking that I have just acquired a $3700 paper weight.  I contacted Zane @ warranty and he said everything would be fine and to ship it to him. I did, and in about 1 month, I called him to check on the progress.  He said that STI was going to replace that gun with a new one.  He said that something went wrong with the assembly process.  It was not my fault.  2 days later, UPS was delivering to my house as I was getting home from work.  Been great ever since.  CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWESOME AT STI!!!!!