Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP............

MikieM

Just got back from the range. The gun is rocking and rolling.

Now with the Aftec extractor, and an 8 pound variable recoil spring installed I had no problems out of three new MBX 155's, and two STI 140's full of 115 grain JHP's loaded to Major. I have a match a week from today, and can't wait to shoot it.

Thanks to all who contributed for the sound advice, and comments.  :)

Edited by MikieM

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2017 at 6:21 AM, BeerBaron said:

With the aftec it's important to follow the fitting instructions for the firing pin stop plate. 

Unlike regular extractors the aftec doesn't 'bend' for tension. It effectively moves along its whole length in the channel and kind of pivots at the middle section with the springs. Because it pivots like that, in order for the front claw to move freely the rear must also move freely at the firing pin stop. We are not talking about much movement here but it must have some clearance there otherwise it will always have way too much extractor tension. 

The aftec is great but but it does need some fitting/setup as it operates totally differently to regular extractors. 

Hth. 

I followed Aftec's instructions for fitting the gap between the firing pin stop plate and the slide...  and rounded the corners of the side of the stop plate where the Aftec is attached...  I can't get the Aftec to grip the case with any tension...  even with both springs installed...

Could it be because I don't have a large enough radius on the firing pin stop?  How large does the radius have to be?

Is the aftec sitting "sprung" in the channel or is the inside face/hook side sitting against the inside face of the channel?  In other word is the aftec able to fully travel back and forth or is it impeded by the channel on the hook side.  If yes you need to remove material on the inside prior to the hook.