Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP............

MikieM

I have a match this Saturday, and I'm having problems with the magazines for my STI DVC Open gun.

Here's the problem. Two, or three, times in a magazine full of ammo I get a failure to feed. The nose of the bullet will lodge just underneath the barrel shroud and cause a jam. Is it because of a weak grip, ammo too short, or the magazines? I have three STI 170mm mags, all with Taran internals. I have tuned each one according to Dawson specs.  My ammo's AOL is 1.125 inches. The gun is currently using a 7 pound recoil spring with no buff. I installed a 90 degree mount for the C-More and there are no ejection problems.

Any ideas, or suggestions?  Thanks, Mike.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I have a match this Saturday, and I'm having problems with the magazines for my STI DVC Open gun.

Here's the problem. Two, or three, times in a magazine full of ammo I get a failure to feed. The nose of the bullet will lodge just underneath the barrel shroud and cause a jam. Is it because of a weak grip, ammo too short, or the magazines? I have three STI 170mm mags, all with Taran internals. I have tuned each one according to Dawson specs.  My ammo's AOL is 1.125 inches. The gun is currently using a 7 pound recoil spring with no buff. I installed a 90 degree mount for the C-More and there are no ejection problems.

Cheaper to change the 7lba recoil to 9 atleast... try it

38 minutes ago, MikieM said:

10 minutes ago, MikieM said:

It came with an 8, but I do have a 9 available. Do you think the slide is not closing fast enough?

Possible... 7 too light especially when the slide is heavy... i run 9 minor and 11 in major.

4 minutes ago, mitchiepinoy said:

Possible... 7 too light especially when the slide is heavy... i run 9 minor and 11 in major.

Bear in mind this is the DVC. The slide has been lightened considerably.

Is it a 9 or 39sc?

Is it a brand new gun and mags or did the issue just appear all of the sudden after being shot for  awhile?

all 3 mags doing exact same thing?

Edited by Expflier

12 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Try a 8lb recoil spring. Check your grip screws are tight. Load to 1.160" OAL. Thanks, Eric

^^^This.  Especailly the part about checking to see that the grip has not loosed up or moved.  If you are not running spacers in STI mags, you will have issues from time to time.  If the top round is sitting too low and thus getting caught under the ramp, you may need to widen the front of the feed lips so that the top round sticks up a little more.  In the future I would suggest loading a little longer.

If you are not shooting major out of that gun your issue may be that the slide is not going back far enough.  I know its sounds crazy that a 7 isn't letting the slide go all the way back but I have noticed that with 125 pf ammo, in my Limcat, that my MBX mags will do the same thing but STI mags run fine 

43 minutes ago, JMike said:

I am assuming you are loading 9mm. If that is the case, as others have said, you are loading way too short! Load to an OAL of 1.16. Your 7 lb recoil spring should be just fine.

Yes, 9mm. I've just loaded up 100 rounds at 1.165. I'll try them out tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

What is your load?   Bullet?   Powder?   GRains of powder?    Velocity?

This, what is your load & PF? I have played with several loads in my DVC & this will happen if I run them too light.

gerritm

I've tried both. Major and Minor. This morning I was using this load: 6.8 grains of WAC, 125 grain PD/JHP, WW once fired, CCI primers, 1.165 AOL. 7 pound recoil spring. 90 degree scope mount. It has run the best with this load. Controllable and accurate.

Still, there were three jams out of a full (170mm) magazine. Nose of the bullet stuck under the chamber hood.

The mags were all tuned according to Dawson specs, and have Taran internals.

Beats the hell out of me.

6 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I've tried both. Major and Minor. This morning I was using this load: 6.8 grains of WAC, 125 grain PD/JHP, WW once fired, CCI primers, 1.165 AOL. 7 pound recoil spring. 90 degree scope mount. It has run the best with this load. Controllable and accurate.

Still, there were three jams out of a full (170mm) magazine. Nose of the bullet stuck under the chamber hood.

The mags were all tuned according to Dawson specs, and have Taran internals.

Beats the hell out of me.

Trade that IN to CKARMS... case closed :)