Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trouble feeding R shoulder .200 gr bullets

ashman627

Not to be flip, but go back to the RN? I know a lot of folks are getting other than RN to feed reliable, but the majority of posts I read on different forums seem to weigh heavier towards RN and HP for the .45 ACP. 

Edited by WesCummings

>200 grain flat nose with a round shoulder.

Please help me--what is a round shoulder?

Do you mean the ogive is an arc, like a FMJ-RN, rather than a sort of straight-sided conical nose or what?

If the bullet has a shoulder like a SWC, you need to be sure the COL is short enough that the shoulder is not pushed into the lede/rifling--but I am not sure that is your issue.

Attached, some help for general chambering problems:

Plunk test - Round won't chamber.doc

• 4 weeks later...
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 3:27 PM, ashman627 said:

i went from Berrys 230 RN to 200 grain flat nose with a round shoulder. having problems feeding. . Any ideas? shooting a springfield mil spec with lots of rounds through it

What is the mil spec mean? Are you talking 1911? If so I came across this problem in my 1971 colt military ammo and berry's 230 rn not a hickup at all. I started casting trundicated cones and the 1911 did not like them. My S&W M&P eats them up. What I realized is the feed ramp on a 1911 is short and steep. Designed to make it a little shorter and really made to run fmj rn.