Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .40 dies on a 650? What do you use?

Superpipe9

4 hours ago, bcp said:

Just picked it up this morning.  Came from a forum member here...great purchase experience.  Brazos Pro SDC Limited

IMG_1002.JPG

Nice. I almost went with bob. Went with Sv. Couple months out now. Can't wait. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, bcp said:

Just picked it up this morning.  Came from a forum member here...great purchase experience.  Brazos Pro SDC Limited

IMG_1002.JPG

Ooooooohhhhh....aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!   ???

Very cool!  ??

On 1/19/2017 at 5:45 PM, CrashDodson said:

After a very very very frustrating few months I settled on this combo:

Redding dual ring sizer

Mr bullet feeder powder funnel/expander

Redding competition seating die

Sill using the dillon crimp die.  

I crank ammo out like its my job now without any trouble.  

Anyone use this same dual ring sizer for 10mm?  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/2/2017 at 11:03 PM, packers said:

Anyone use this same dual ring sizer for 10mm?  

I got this from Redding,

Mike,

The two rings found in our dual ring dies are positioned appropriately for the case length. In my opinion running a 10MM case into a 40 S&W dual ring would begin overworking the case body as the higher ring will size much further down the case than needed.

The other dies in the set can be positioned in the press to accommodate the 10MM length case.

Thank you for using Redding Reloading Equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't believe the seating die or crimping die matters much; I just use Dillon.

I highly recommend the Lyman carbide sizing die.  Many guys out there buy expensive U dies or use a push through die to fix 'glocked' brass, adding another process/increasing time.  I've had good luck with the Lyman and only about 1% of my ammo fails the plunk test.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 1:21 PM, ltdmstr said:

I used Redding dies for pretty much everything.  For .40, I use the dual ring carbide sizing die.  Works great and no muffin top on the loaded rounds.

Ditto, love the micrometer adjustments on the seating dies, especially for 9mm.

• 2 years later...

The redding comp die is a headache with coated bullets, it removes the bell so it scratches everything. There is a hole thread about it. I had it and sold it.

all these dies combos make no sense, the lee die does Nothing to remove bulge at the crimp station and the crimp is no different than any other crimp.

only way to remove bulge (efficiently) in .40 is rolling your brass (or any caliber)

The bulge cannot be removed using a die mounted on a press, brass is only undersized to fit the chamber up to a certain degree i.e. Not one die will ever correctly size the web because it is physically impossible, as it cannot reach the web as when your die touches your plate first. 

Real bulged brass will have a bulged web as well and these pieces will crease when sizing with a longer die on a press.

In a nutshell:

1-you can load with ANY die system provided your brass is in good shape. 
2-some small bulges are reduced by longer dies.

3-real oversized bulged brass  at the web cannot be sized with regular dies short or long, unless you roll at the web back down to saami.

dont waste money on dies. Use good brass and a roll sizer and that is it.

talking from experience after wasting money on magic dies.

Edited by Avenida

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, Avenida said:

The redding comp die is a headache with coated bullets, it removes the bell so it scratches everything. There is a hole thread about it. I had it and sold it.

all these dies combos make no sense, the lee die does Nothing to remove bulge at the crimp station and the crimp is no different than any other crimp.

only way to remove bulge (efficiently) in .40 is rolling your brass (or any caliber)

The bulge cannot be removed using a die mounted on a press, brass is only undersized to fit the chamber up to a certain degree i.e. Not one die will ever correctly size the web because it is physically impossible, as it cannot reach the web as when your die touches your plate first. 

Real bulged brass will have a bulged web as well and these pieces will crease when sizing with a longer die on a press.

In a nutshell:

1-you can load with ANY die system provided your brass is in good shape. 
2-some small bulges are reduced by longer dies.

3-real oversized bulged brass  at the web cannot be sized with regular dies short or long, unless you roll at the web back down to saami.

dont waste money on dies. Use good brass and a roll sizer and that is it.

talking from experience after wasting money on magic dies.

+2 for Rollsizer.com. Kevin has the true fix for 40 brass. The GRx die did work, but  it is waaaayyy too slow. I enjoy pulling the handle. I don't get off on it. 

I’ve finally fixed my 40 issue. I used rollsized, deprimed and sized brass.

Took out the sizing die and replaced with a Lee M die.  Which after 200 rounds unscrewed (the sizing plug) and got stuck in a case.  Not easy to remove!! 

I backed off the powder dispenser so it doesn’t flare, just dumps powder.

after I reinstalled the expander plug I set it to barely flare- only because I didn’t have any more room as I’m using the whidden toolhead and on station #1 it’s floating.  This leaves the bullet super straight and viola my issues with crooked bullets is gone.  I use .401 coated.