Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .40 dies on a 650? What do you use?

Superpipe9

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using Dillon .40 carbide dies with great success.  I only switched to a Redding Competition Seating die because I am loading different OALs for a CK Thunder 2011 and a Glock 35 and like the ability to switch OAL back and forth easily using the built in micrometer, but otherwise would have stuck with the Dillon dies.  I'm going to try the Redding dual ring sizing die because I got a deal on a complete set of Redding dies which included the dual ring sizer, but had very few case gauge failures using mixed range brass and the Dillon dies.

Uniqetek Floating Toolhead with the Clamp Kit

EGW U sizing die.

Mr. Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel.

Mr. Bullet Feeder Die.
Redding Comp seating die.
Lee Standard Crimp Die.

Sometimes I switch out the Redding Comp die with a Dillon Seating with a custom stem for the SWC.

• 1 month later...

I had serious bullet run out with Dillon dies in .40. lesser extent with 9mm but had to use a Lee FCD to forcefully increase gauge pass rate. Basically the bullets kept going in seriously crooked. Tried everything, including calling Dillon at least 3 times. Went with Redding .40 dual ring 3-die pro comp set. Run out completely eliminated. Liked it so much I got another Redding pro comp set in 9mm (but not dual ring as it's not needed for taper cases). Need to sell my Dillon dies on those two calibers. About done with Dillon dies in pistol.[emoji19]

Can't comment on 'the best' but I will say that I'm satisfied with my Lee carbide 4-die set in .40. I like the micro adjustments on the seating and crimp dies.  

@hceuterpe I can get rid of those pesky Dillon dies if you need a safe place to dispose of them :)

Lee Sizing die U die in 40, sizes closer to the extractor groove and tighter than other brands. Turn powder through die so a piece of sized brass slides on the belling die.

I used a drill press and sandpaper then polished, while polishing, polish the inside of the powder through die, stops powder bridging.

Lee seating die, had a flat insert made so it pushes on the nose of the bullet, keeps OAL tighter. Dillon crimp die set lightly. The first stage sizing die holds the bullet,

crimp lets it chamber easier. Don't care for Lee's FCD if used it's only a light crimp at the case mouth. Feel accuracy suffers with FCD.

Seen several S-I pistols start running that wouldn't run using a Dillon sizing die.

May need to lock Lee's sizing die from under the tool head and use a strip of paper to set to shell plate the carbide ring is right at the case mouth and setting the die

so it hits may crack the carbide ring. Lee's seating die has a knob on tope for slight adjustments. You can mark it with colored sharpies for varied bullets, Lee also

has a well designed decapping punch, usually pushes up if there's something in the case. Might purchase a few spares just in case though.

Lee's carbide die sets sell in the forty dollar range a Mid Way

8 minutes ago, Bob DuBois said:

Lee also has a well designed decapping punch, usually pushes up if there's something in the case. Might purchase a few spares just in case though.

You'll eventually bend the Lee decapping pin when something finds its way into a case and blocks the flash hole. I ruined two at the worst possible time before finding the solution.

Upgrade to the hardened pin and you'll never bend another one: they ALWAYS get pushed upward through the collet instead of bending. A quick reset with a 1/2" wrench and you're back in the game.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018V7L3C2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Os84ybV4FFNV9

I agree a Lee Sizing and Crimp die are the way to go. I'm a 9mm loader and find great success with them, while other dies are Dillon. The Lee size and crimp dies just produce much higher quality ammo, and cut my reject rate by 90% compared to Dillon's.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I think a lot of folks over complicate this. 

On a 1050, I do use an EGW size die, but everything else is Dillon.  I have loaded a LOT of .40 on a SDB, with no issues either (obviously limited to SDB dies). 

I hate to say it, but If you are having wild issues loading .40 with Dillon dies (unless you got a defective die), then there is a good chance it is not the dies.  I actually just set up another1050, and other than turning the face of the sizing die back to the carbide ring so that it sizes a little further down, I haven't touched anything.  It loads GREAT ammo, with a very very low case gage reject rate. 

I know tinkering with the press is fun, but in most cases it isn't really necessary. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/02/2017 at 8:56 PM, IATURNKEY said:

I have tried several other brands and came back to Dillon Dies. I have been loading un-coated lead bullets lately and like being able to clean my seating die quickly. 

did the  same  .i  was  hopefull  using  the  redding compt micrometric  seat die  and  crimper  ,  but  my  aol  was  all  over  the place  whatever  i tried  . i  know  the  culprit  is  probably  on the  user  end,  but  never  been able  to  find  what i  was  doing wrong ;    went  back to  the  dillion seater  and  crimper  ,  immediately   my  aol  went  back  to  a  0.002  variation.

still have the redding comp die  set   and  i  plan to  try  again later  on  after  doin some  research  on the  why i  face planted  with the  redding stuff . 

Edited by sigsauerfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, FortyOverUnder said:

EGW U sizing die.
Redding Comp seating die.
Lee FCD

It sounds like that's working for a lot of you.  I just placed an order for them for my 1050.  I resisted .40s for a long time and just went with 9mm or 45.  I feel the dark side pulling on me.

1 hour ago, bcp said:

It sounds like that's working for a lot of you.  I just placed an order for them for my 1050.  I resisted .40s for a long time and just went with 9mm or 45.  I feel the dark side pulling on me.

Don't fight it....just enjoy the ride.

Gun arrives tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm going to start with a WST/BBI 200 load and go from there.  I pushed pause on ordering the 1050 conversion for 40.  I will run it on my 650 press for now, getting a feel for it.  I ordered that die combination that seemed popular and it's ready to go.  Just waiting on the brass to arrive soon.

23 hours ago, bcp said:

Gun arrives tonight.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm going to start with a WST/BBI 200 load and go from there.  I pushed pause on ordering the 1050 conversion for 40.  I will run it on my 650 press for now, getting a feel for it.  I ordered that die combination that seemed popular and it's ready to go.  Just waiting on the brass to arrive soon.

Limited gun. What did you do with?