Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 38 Super...what dies are best for Dillon 650xl

wanttolearn

I tried the search function but didn't really find what i needed.

I'm new to reloading and recently secured a Dillon 650xl, it came with .45 dies. I'd like to also be able to reload 38 super.

I heard that 38 Super can be a tempramental calibre to load.

Wondering what dies i should purchase and would love to hear any helpful hints, recipes etc. I generally enjoy trying to shoot little groups at the range and occasional competition. I mostly use a 1911 but also have an old STI 2011.

Thank you.

I use Dillon dies to reload 38 super, no issues. There is no difference in loading 38 super and any other caliber, so temperamental? I would say no. 

Most of the loads you will find on here are going ro be for open guns, and might not be suitable for just plain plinking at the range.

Here are some pages that may help you in reloading the super...

http://38super.net

http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm

Howdy- I use the specialty sizing die that Evolution Gun Works sells- it is made for them by LEE, BUT has different specs than the LEE die. Do NOT buy the regular LEE die and think it is the same as the EGW die- it isn't!  The EGW is tighter, and sizes the case closer to the base; it was just what my Nowlin barrel needed to run ammo from my press reliably. I also recommend  seating and crimping separately ( not to seat and crimp in one operation )  I'd started doing this with my .454 Casull loads, and found it to be useful in so many other applications, for solving bulging caused by loading with cases having mixed headstamps ( like my 9mm, .40S&W, .38 special , etc. ) where case lengths will vary more than if they were all the same make .Yeah, I know, with taper crimps it doesn't matter, except it does, just a bit less, until you start to chrono your ammo, and find those shorter cases don't end up with the velocity you get from the longer ones, and your standard deviation gets too wide- but that's another story.

very new to all of this....thanks for the links by the way, very interesting and informative

i hope i'm on the right track the set up using clean brass would be:

the dillon sizing depriming die first to decap, then EGW undersize die to reshape, then primer, then powder, then the dillon bullet seating die and finally the dillon crimp die.

want to make sure i purchase the right products.

1 hour ago, cowboy85306 said:

Howdy- I use the specialty sizing die that Evolution Gun Works sells- it is made for them by LEE, BUT has different specs than the LEE die. Do NOT buy the regular LEE die and think it is the same as the EGW die- it isn't!  The EGW is tighter, and sizes the case closer to the base; it was just what my Nowlin barrel needed to run ammo from my press reliably. I also recommend  seating and crimping separately ( not to seat and crimp in one operation )  I'd started doing this with my .454 Casull loads, and found it to be useful in so many other applications, for solving bulging caused by loading with cases having mixed headstamps ( like my 9mm, .40S&W, .38 special , etc. ) where case lengths will vary more than if they were all the same make .Yeah, I know, with taper crimps it doesn't matter, except it does, just a bit less, until you start to chrono your ammo, and find those shorter cases don't end up with the velocity you get from the longer ones, and your standard deviation gets too wide- but that's another story.

So there are actually 3 Lee made dies out there.  The regular die, the Lee undersized die, and the EGW undersized die.  By descriptions the Lee undersized die is undersized by 2 to 3 thousandths; the EGW die is built undersized by 1 thousandths.  I use the EGW undersized die in 9mm and think it's great.