Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Since my little punch is broken

LegionShooter

I had every intention of disassembling and polishing this brand new beast tonight.  It seems my little punch was trashed sometime back and I never replaced it, so I took measurements instead.  Now I have a question.  I measured my reloads against the factory ammo I ran through this Stock 2 this weekend.  Factory ammo drops in the barrel, spins, no issues.  My reloads don't, and the COAL is shorter.  Turns out it's the bullet itself being more "rounded" than "conical."  My question is this: do I need to send this barrel out to have it reamed, or just shorten up my COAL a bit and adjust powder accordingly?  Seems as though reaming is somewhat the standard per many posts here.  Specs:

--Reloads (124gr ACME coated; 4.0 N320; originally loaded for a G17L that I didn't end up using beyond load dev)

1.148 COAL

0.377 crimp

0.749 brass length

0.173 from the base of the brass to the base of the cutout in the right side of the chamber

--Factory FC (115gr FMJ)

1.150 COAL

0.375 crimp

0.749 brass length

0.147 from the base of the brass to the base of the cutout in the right side of the chamber

--FC Brass (empty)

0.147 from the base of the brass to the base of the cutout in the right side of the chamber

0.747 brass length

Edited by LegionShooter

My chamber seems noticeably looser since sending the barrel to Bevin. Like my Glock and M&P factory barrels. Still shoots just as tight a group.

I didn't have to worry about that being a variable when setting up my gun. If it's short enough to fit into my mags and passes a case gauge, my gun will eat it happily.

I don't regret doing it.

You can certainly do either. If you don't ream you are certainly going to have to do more load development to determine what works. COAL will vary greatly depending on ogive so you'll have to determine max COAL for each bullet and then find the one that you are comfortable loading, I'm still working on this. I have tried 147gr SNS flat point at 1.100", 125gr SNS conical at 1.115" and 124gr PD JHP at 1.080". If you are into load development and have the time you can easily find something that works with the stock chamber. That being said I will more than likely send my barrel off to Grams once he is up and running again. 

37 minutes ago, taxil343 said:

You can certainly do either. If you don't ream you are certainly going to have to do more load development to determine what works. COAL will vary greatly depending on ogive so you'll have to determine max COAL for each bullet and then find the one that you are comfortable loading, I'm still working on this. I have tried 147gr SNS flat point at 1.100", 125gr SNS conical at 1.115" and 124gr PD JHP at 1.080". If you are into load development and have the time you can easily find something that works with the stock chamber. That being said I will more than likely send my barrel off to Grams once he is up and running again. 

I prefer to find something that works and run with it.  Guess I'll be getting the barrel reamed.  Also, I didn't realize Grams was not up and running right now.  Any backstory on this, or estimated wait time?

There was a thread that contained info about it on here but I can't seem to find it now. It may have been moved to his vendor page. I want to say he was supposed to be down about 8 weeks and that was at least 3 weeks ago so should be back up within the next month. If you give him a call I'm sure he can provide more details. 

So... he took his ball and he went home.

On a technical note, it was around three weeks ago now that we were told that Grams would need 6-8 weeks to have a sharpened and functional reamer.

Apparently he's also having a second one made so this won't happen again.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

If factory ammo drops in and your reloads do not, may I suggest putting your reloads in a case gauge of your preference before doing the plunk test.

In my experience it is not always the OAL that is the criminal.  Just a suggestion.

My Stock 2 is dated June 2014. It will plunk test up to 1.155" OAL of 147 truncated cone.  However rounds would stick if it sticks in a case gauge to begin with.  If a round passes the case gauge it will always plunk in my barrel given it is under the max stated OAL.  Drove me insane before I figured it out for my application.

2 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

If factory ammo drops in and your reloads do not, may I suggest putting your reloads in a case gauge of your preference before doing the plunk test.

In my experience it is not always the OAL that is the criminal.  Just a suggestion.

My Stock 2 is dated June 2014. It will plunk test up to 1.155" OAL of 147 truncated cone.  However rounds would stick if it sticks in a case gauge to begin with.  If a round passes the case gauge it will always plunk in my barrel given it is under the max stated OAL.  Drove me insane before I figured it out for my application.

The rounds pass my Dillon case gauge.  The culprit appears to be the shape of the projectiles.  The factory ammo is Federal 115gr FMJ.  It begins to taper almost immediately where the bullet comes out of the brass.  The 124gr ACME coated rounds run straight up for a few thousandths or so, then taper.  It's where they run straight up that's dragging according to the sharpie test.

Si senior. Es bullet profile!

I could (past tense; barrel has now been reamed) load 147 Bayou's to 1.135 w/ out issue. Black 125's and SNS 124's could only to 1.10" before hitting. Ream 'er out or load short.

Edited by SCTaylor

55 minutes ago, LegionShooter said:

The rounds pass my Dillon case gauge.  The culprit appears to be the shape of the projectiles.  The factory ammo is Federal 115gr FMJ.  It begins to taper almost immediately where the bullet comes out of the brass.  The 124gr ACME coated rounds run straight up for a few thousandths or so, then taper.  It's where they run straight up that's dragging according to the sharpie test.

It's known as the ogive of the bullet, and you're exactly right about the cause. No two bullet profiles will hit the rifling at exactly the same overall length.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It's known as the ogive of the bullet, and you're exactly right about the cause. No two bullet profiles will hit the rifling at exactly the same overall length.

Yeah, there it is.  Thanks for the vocabulary reminder.  For the life of me that word was escaping my brain when I replied.  

As far as reaming goes... Bevin will be up soon. And Joe go some too apparently. So you'll be able to send them to Patriot Defense possibly when they get back from SHOT. If not then, maybe a week or 2 out.

17 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

ARy is not banned.

That's weird... He sent me this a few weeks ago.

Screenshot_20170106-221215_1483769559031(1).png